Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: National [Within Canada] Long Distance Charges Incoming/Outgoing

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    okay, correct me if im wrong...
    you said that long distance incoming calls to you (while you are in your NCA yourself) does not count as long distance....
    HOWEVER, my mom got charged $5 by rogers just because a friend of hers in san francisco called her on her cell fone when she was in vancouver (her nca). She called up rogers cs and the csr told her that even if shes in her area, as long as the call is a long distance call (regardless incoming/outgoing), she will still get charged with long distance.

Device(s)
    LG 9100
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp0r3
    as long as the call is a long distance call (regardless incoming/outgoing), she will still get charged with long distance.
    outgoing, yes, of course you will get charged LD.
    incoming, no. that statement is wrong.

The caller is supposed to pay long distance and the reciever treats it as a normal phone call.

If your mom is in Vancouver, any person around the world can call her and it only uses her plan minutes.

You also have to take into consideration: did she go over her plan minutes? or did the friend make some sort of a collect call?

Device(s)
    SE K790a & Nokia BH-900
    Carrier(s)
    Rippin Off Mr. ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    im confused. all reps seem to give different answers about trickyquestions and everyone also has there own opinion lol.

Device(s)
    iPhone IVS | 9900 B0ldTouchDizzle
    Carrier(s)
    The one who pays me to use their service
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_tana
    im confused. all reps seem to give different answers about trickyquestions and everyone also has there own opinion lol.
    dude. What's confusing? It's not opinion. IT'S FACT.

btw. Toned down the abuse in your signature eh? I much preferred the older one for getting attention, and a good laugh. What's with the devil?
    300 @ 5pm●5K SMS●Auto Roadside●Unlim Inc●1000LD●R2RLD●VP●6Gb LTDizzle+credits = <$36
    34+|0|0 119+|0|0

Factory Unlocked 5White32gb, GNote2x2, 9900 LNIB Retired, GS3 for Mobi
    i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 9Gb DDR3
    My Wireless LD FAQ., READ IT!!!
    The Jawbone I, photo-review
    Maybe it's time to update this....nahhhhh

Device(s)
    SE K790a & Nokia BH-900
    Carrier(s)
    Rippin Off Mr. ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    lol bt... aahh i know its fact but everyone is throwing in what they hear. and even when i call reps to ask what the heck im going to get charged they dont know and then when i call in to get something confirmed they tell me somthing differnt. but who knows. th estuff u wrote is fact. im not debating that im just saying that when people throw in what they heard and stuff it gets all confusing as hell. especially this voicemail thing. iiish

Device(s)
    SE K790a & Nokia BH-900
    Carrier(s)
    Rippin Off Mr. ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    about the sig... lol fine ill bring it back

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Here's a summary, since I find the OP very long winded:

When you are within your Home Area
    You make a local call: Airtime only
    You make a long-distance call: Airtime + long-distance charges
    You receive a local or long-distance call: Airtime only

When you are outside your Home Area
    You make a local call: Airtime only
    You make a long-distance call: Airtime + long-distance charges
    You receive a local or long-distance call: Airtime + long-distance charges

By local call, it means local to the area code you are currently located. If you have an Edmonton number and go to Toronto, calling back to Edmonton is considered a long distance call.

As for voicemail, if you're in your Home Area, there is no long distance charge if you call your regional voice messaging number. Otherwise, long distance charges will apply.

Why did the OP make up this acronym NCA, especially when providers like Fido call it a Home Area?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItemFinder
    i-Here's a summary, since I find the OP very long winded:
    .............. ii-regional voice messaging number..........
    iii-Why did the OP make up this acronym NCA, especially when providers like Fido call it a Home Area?
    i- long winded lmao
    ii- I like this descriptor. Very appropriate as it opens the mind and makes people realize that there are potential LD charges if accessed outside their NCA <---
    iii-because I wanted to. Would you have preferred HCA (Home Calling Area)? Toe-may-toe., Tuh-Mah-Toe. Bite me.

Device(s)
    SE K790a & Nokia BH-900
    Carrier(s)
    Rippin Off Mr. ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    y'all crack me up.lol

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    There's something weird going on with one of my friends' plans.

His NCA doesn't move with him. A call to anywhere in Vancouver (I'm assuming New West, Coquitlam as well) is local for him even when he is in Whistler. And a call to a number in Whistler, even if he is in Whistler costs him LD.

He's on a very old plan, he was with Rogers back when it was Cantel (before Cantel AT&T even), so that might have something to do with it, but not all plans with Rogers have the same LD/NCA system.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by migo
    There's something weird going on with one of my friends' plans.

His NCA doesn't move with him. A call to anywhere in Vancouver (I'm assuming New West, Coquitlam as well) is local for him even when he is in Whistler. And a call to a number in Whistler, even if he is in Whistler costs him LD.

He's on a very old plan, he was with Rogers back when it was Cantel (before Cantel AT&T even), so that might have something to do with it, but not all plans with Rogers have the same LD/NCA system.
    hehe...interesting. I gotta say I'm bewildered. Does he still have a tdma line? Local and LD isn't a newly instituted concept I believe and so it would be irrelevant. Is he 100% reliable when he tells you what is happening? There's no way he's dialing a LOCAL number and it is coming up as LD. Can you get a screen pic of a bill., that shows he places a call in WHISTLER, TO WHISTLER-and gets billed LD?

Device(s)
    BB 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm confused about voicemail charges...my local area is Kingston (613), but my voicemail retrieval number is a Toronto (416) number. So does that mean I'm charged LD every time I check my voicemail in Kingston? If it's considered a local call in Kingston, is it also local if I check it in Toronto?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrzyCanuck72
    I'm confused about voicemail charges...my local area is Kingston (613), but my voicemail retrieval number is a Toronto (416) number. So does that mean I'm charged LD every time I check my voicemail in Kingston? If it's considered a local call in Kingston, is it also local if I check it in Toronto?
    VM is special.

Think of your VM # as a REGIONALLY ASSIGNED one. That means, you can have be in a region where your assigned access # is LD to you..BUT THE SYSTEM WILL NOT CHARGE it BUT as a local call.

VM is the ONLY # that this occurs as such...I think.

Device(s)
    SE K790a & Nokia BH-900
    Carrier(s)
    Rippin Off Mr. ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble.tea
    VM is special.

Think of your VM # as a REGIONALLY ASSIGNED one. That means, you can have be in a region where your assigned access # is LD to you..BUT THE SYSTEM WILL NOT CHARGE it BUT as a local call.

VM is the ONLY # that this occurs as such...I think.
    1800, 1888, 1866 is normally long dist as well but the rogers system also treats it as a local call

i kno... its kinda anal i said that hah

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_tana
    1800, 1888, 1866 is normally long dist as well but the rogers system also treats it as a local call

i kno... its kinda anal i said that hah
    lmao.

In what normal circumstance is it LD?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast