Thread: firmware upgrade for the UTStarcom XV-7600 Windows Mobile Pocket PC phone on Verizon

Feedback Score

Smile firmware upgrade for the UTStarcom XV-7600 Windows Mobile Pocket PC phone on Verizon

Thanks to Garry who pointed us to a firmware upgrade for the UTStarcom XV-7600 Windows Mobile Pocket PC phone on Verizon. If you visit Verizon's support page here: http://support.vzw.com/phones/index.html?p=2200 and click on the link on the lower right "XV6700 Software Update " it will download the upgrade http://www.utstar.com/pcd/downloads/...11000_Ship.exe .

That's UTStarcom's site. You can also visit their page at http://www.utstar.com/pcd/Downloads.aspx to download the upgrade and read about it first.

It adds a bunch of goodies, including:

• Microsoft Messaging and Security Feature Pack- The Messaging & Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0 enables business users to easily stay connected to their email while on the go and helps businesses to better protect device data. Benefits of this feature pack include:
    • Direct Push Technology- Keep your Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Inbox up-to-date using Direct Push Technology. Plus, you can now browse your corporate address book over-the-air with Exchange 2003 SP2. Faster transfer and synchronization of data- Outlook data sent between Exchange Server and a Windows Mobile-based device is significantly compressed, enabling faster transfer and synchronization of data.
    • Better protection of device data and management of devices
    • Added a Voice Dialing application to allow you to leverage the handsfree capability already on the device.
    • Main Today Screen provides you the capability to lock the device and prevent inadvertently activity.
    • Corrected an issue where unknowingly, to the user, the device would enter into "Flight Mode"
    • Added the capability to enable Wi-Fi and CDMA simultaneously.

That last one is important to many of our readers, so go get it!

This is a full firmware upgrade and will wipe out all data on your device. So sync it first and be prepared to re-install any 3rd party applications you've added.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8320 Titanium (Mine)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Its been out for a while and lots of people have installed it already. check threads from the past week and you'll find them.
    Chris
    Euless TX

http://chris.cotter.me

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-i760
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    After installing this update, my phone no longer detects its phone radio, so I can only use the device as a PDA. Anytime I try using the phone, it says that a wireless radio must be installed. The WiFi and Bluetooth antenna work just fine, but I just can't seem to get the phone function working.

In Device Information, it says Radio: NONE.

Any ideas?

Device(s)
    HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ardeur
    After installing this update, my phone no longer detects its phone radio, so I can only use the device as a PDA. Anytime I try using the phone, it says that a wireless radio must be installed. The WiFi and Bluetooth antenna work just fine, but I just can't seem to get the phone function working.

Any ideas?
    Did you soft reset after upgrading? If you have, I might be tempted to try to try the upgrade again. Sounds like it did not completely install.
    JK27

Device(s)
    CDMA Treo 600 - Gone!
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Any ideas?
    HR and reinstall. Sounds lke the Radio pack did not install.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-i760
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Good luck in deed. I've tried both soft and hard resetting and when I attempt to run the install, it is now giving me an Error stating that the ROM is not intended for my device. UTStarcom's support is working on it, but I get the feeling they aren't going to come up with anything.

Device(s)
    CDMA Treo 600 - Gone!
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Good luck in deed. I've tried both soft and hard resetting and when I attempt to run the install, it is now giving me an Error stating that the ROM is not intended for my device. UTStarcom's support is working on it, but I get the feeling they aren't going to come up with anything.
    O.K. There was a corrupted ROM upgrade file out there in the very early days. I don't know if you got hold of that or not. IIRC, the "good" file was about 39.5 Mb in size. That's one possibility.

Another would be to HR and then physically remove the battery from the device for say 30 minutes. Then start from scratch.

Both long shots admittedly, but some times long shots pay.

Let us know if we can help you out.

Bob Duckworth

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-i760
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Does it wipe out the ROM or something?

Device(s)
    CDMA Treo 600 - Gone!
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Removing the battery will force the handset to return to a shipping/factory state hopefully. However, with this new "persistent" RAM system, I don't really know. It certainly will not cause any harm in the handset's present state.

Understand though, if a radio ROM software package was not written to the ROM, this won't give you a CDMA radio back.

Hope you get it fixed,

Bob Duckworth

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-i760
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I tried this and it didn't work. I'll define my phone as a brick from this point on.

I got tired of waiting for UTStarcom to hear back from their engineering department on what to do, so I called Verizon again. They started to give me the same song and dance about it being Starcom's update so it's Starcom's problem. I then explained to them that this is a corporate account and if they looked, they'd notice we have a large number of these phones deployed, all with the unlimited data package, meaning, we're spending a LOT of money with them. But if they were so sure it wasn't their problem, I'd be giving Sprint a call.

My new phone will be here Friday.

Thanks for the help,

Brodie

Device(s)
    vx6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Rom update locked Hidden Rom

I did the ROM update for my Verizon xv6700 update went fine, I unlocked the extended rom but it seams to be read only I cant change it now, on the older version I could,

Any thoughts.
    Jason