Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Excellent article on RAM issues in new Nokia S60 phones.

Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angel_wing0
    where are the pics now there? me want see!
    Direct from Finland!!!.....notice the retro fitting the N850i uses!

BB9700 PIN: 2190dd6e

Device(s)
    Don't worry about it. I've used everything.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For those interested, my N73 reports that there is 45mb of RAM, and it boots with anywhere from 17-20mb of that available. And yes, I know the difference between RAM and internal memory. It just so happens that the N73 has same amount of both. I imagine the other 25mb of it are wrapped up in making the phone work properly, plus other useless things like the fax server and what not. (you used to be able to turn those off on v2 with certain apps)

Device(s)
    moto q9h (^_^)
    Carrier(s)
    cingular since the start
    Feedback Score
    man...on one of my post (forgot what thread) i had a link which reviewed the n95, and i remember the n95 having only 40 mb of ram and 18 left after turning on the phone. is this too little ammount of ram?

Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo26
    man...on one of my post (forgot what thread) i had a link which reviewed the n95, and i remember the n95 having only 40 mb of ram and 18 left after turning on the phone. is this too little ammount of ram?
    Its going to have something more along the lines of 64mbs of Ram so I would say that's too low! I was told the Ram should be comparable to the E61.

Feedback Score
    great artilce thanks for sharing

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 / Blackberry Curve (work)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AteFifty
    Its going to have something more along the lines of 64mbs of Ram so I would say that's too low! I was told the Ram should be comparable to the E61.
    The info that N95 is supposed to have 64MB of Ram built-in has been circulating for some time now but all those who actually received pre-production models for testing and review reported so far that it only has 45MB with about 18 to 19 MB free after a clean boot. Now, the question is whether Nokia is going to actually install 64MB of Ram in production devices and it only has put 45MB in pre-production models (such a hardware difference between pre-production and production models seems very very unlikely), or whether the info about 64MB was simply an unfounded speculation fueled by wishful thinking. Time will tell....
    Another big unknown at this point is the amount of Ram that they will put in the upcoming E90 Communicator.
    I'm a monkey and I'm Okay...

Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    The info that N95 is supposed to have 64MB of Ram built-in has been circulating for some time now but all those who actually received pre-production models for testing and review reported so far that it only has 45MB with about 18 to 19 MB free after a clean boot. Now, the question is whether Nokia is going to actually install 64MB of Ram in production devices and it only has put 45MB in pre-production models (such a hardware difference between pre-production and production models seems very very unlikely), or whether the info about 64MB was simply an unfounded speculation fueled by wishful thinking. Time will tell....
    Another big unknown at this point is the amount of Ram that they will put in the upcoming E90 Communicator.
    Yeah..that's bad news! I posted that prior to Angel and the other bloggers receiving their proto models.

Device(s)
    bunch of phones
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    well, the E90 is reported to have 128MB of RAM, and at my-symbian, Michal, is saying there will be about 80MB of free RAM for the user upon boot up, compared to about 22MB of RAM on the E61 that is free, and with E61 having trouble opening up a 2MB pdf file, i dont kno wif this 80MB will be enough... i am asking Michal, and so far he is simply saying it is enough without actually saying how big of a pdf file he has opened so far on his E90 proto...
    i use my cellphones too much, my brains are fried...

Device(s)
    BB9700
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

This is what the N95 should be reading....except for that processing speed which isnt the final speed on the E90 either. It will be a 330 upon release but look at that RAM. They start loading them up like this and it's one less thing we can ***** about!...and aside from enabling all of their future phones w/ 850mhz and maybe..just maybe US3G we can sit back and enjoy these things IMO.

Device(s)
    E61
    Carrier(s)
    Cing
    Feedback Score
    The harware difference between E62 and E61 are as follows. The E61(and E60, E70) is 3g(doesn't work in us), duel chip processer. One for calls and one for apps. The app processer is ARM9 220 Mhz/64 MB SDRAM/128 NAND flash w/o XIP(uses ram to load apps. The E62 is 2g single chip ARM9 235 Mhz/ 32MB SDRAM/32 NOR+128 NAND flash w/ XIP(uses flash to run apps in place. The MB difference seems nice but I wonder if there is a reall difference in performance. Could some one who knows this stuff put it in english. Found it on the Nokia known issues technical information page if you want to hunt for the origional document.

Device(s)
    nokia e71-2
    Carrier(s)
    mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I noticed that my Nokia E50 only has 12 mb of RAM free for apps, while E65 has something close to 20mb.

Do these phones have the same processor and amount of ram? Is there any way to kill unneeded apps on E50 so that more RAM is available to my apps?

Device(s)
    N95 8GB (v20)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo UK - (Contract + 10-GB a month)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBruha
    If these devices operate like Windows devices, I highly, HIGHLY doubt that would work. You can't just plug in a random piece of hardware from a different device and expect the phone to recognize it and then successfully USE it without errors. That's like trying to install a wifi chip from an N80 into an N70.

HOWEVER, if the only differences in RAM technology was the memory itself and the units were otherwise EXACTLY THE SAME, we may be in business.

I plan on buying an N70. Perhaps I will dabble with some FCC documents of the inside of the N70 and E70 and see what I can or can not do. (Probably kill two high-end phones, :lol)
    Good luck, dude.
    It would be nice to think that it were possible - without any tweaks necessary to the OS.
    WWGD - What would George do?

Device(s)
    Nokia 5800 XPressMusic
    Carrier(s)
    Airtel
    Feedback Score
    dont go for n70 also
    after updating firmware much prb of hang
    even i play songs then after quiting it hangs for 1min

Device(s)
    current: n900,5800,Razr v3re
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobizzle
    Feedback Score
    Great...after reading this I am tempted to hold off on an nokia s60 device until one is released with an acceptable amount of free ram.

Thank you nokia!
    Last edited by unrealii; 05-23-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Device(s)
    GNex, Galaxy S, Nokia 5230 and babysitting a MC950D & an iphone4 16gig -- That thing has got to go!
    Carrier(s)
    Wind & Fido-Rogers
    Feedback Score
    As I was mentioning to a few people before, this is one of the reasons why I ended jumping ship to a TyTN. On a clean boot I am running easily about 25megs of RAM on a 64meg unit. And this is while running three, albeit small apps in the background and the Today screen full of plug-ins, which would be on the same note as the Standby screen.

Nokia, what is going on? Don't keep us waiting. Throw a bone to us tech-heads.
    FIDO Power User:
    Unlimited Data Line Only

Ex-Wind, Now Mobilicity Data & Phone

Surfing the Mobile net with wild abandon.

From Toronto? Want to meet new friends? Then come out, don't be shy! it is not spam I run the group myself, now with 1550+ people! Check here!
    Visit my blog!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast