Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: ** HOW TO Transfer DATA on Samsung A640 - Photos / Ringtones!

Feedback Score

Lightbulb ** HOW TO Transfer DATA on Samsung A640 - Photos / Ringtones!

After messing around with Bitpim for a little while, I have figured out how to do the following on the New Samsung A640, using a usb data cable.

Upload Ringtones to Phone (Mp3 & Midi)
    Upload Pictures to phone
    Download Photos taken with camera.
    Download phonebook

Download this file: http://www.filefactory.com/dlf/f/c74...fe9719be62d8f0

It includes:
    USB Drivers for Samsung
    pvconv.exe
    Bitpim 9.05

Ok first of all, you need a Data cable. I used a regular USB one and it works fine. Plug in you phone and use the drivers included to install the drivers. There should be 2 devices installed.

Next install bitpim that is included in the download.

Then copy pvconv.exe that is included to (C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\pvconv.exe)

With your phone connected, start BitPim, click no to auto detect.
    Go to Edit>Settings
    then click browse and select "Samsung CDMA modem" from the list at the top. and press OK. Make sure all boxes are unchecked, and press OK.

Now, to do different things for the phone, you will sometimes have to select a different phone under settings.

Downloading Phone Book
    Under settings, select the SPH-A460 as your phone, and press ok.
    Then click get Data>Get Phone Data, then check only the phone book, and press ok. It may give you an error, but it should download the phonebook entries to your computer.

Downloading Camera Pictures
    Under settings, change phone to SPH-A840.
    Go to DATA>Get Phone Data, then check the wallpaper box only, and press ok. It may take upto 2 minutes if you have more than 10 pictures. You can see the status bar at the bottom transfering pictures.
    When the pictures are transfered, the status at the bottom will say ready.

Then click on the Camera Icon under Media, and it should show your pictures. To view them, you must first select them and save them somewhere on your computer, by right click the photo icon and press save.

If you try to open the pictures, and they do not open, you may need photoshop, then using photoshop, you will be able to open them to view. There may be some other programs to view these photos as well, but I dont know.

Upload Photos to Phone
    Change phone to A620, go under images, right click on the space on the right, and press add. Select a picture, and open, and then a dialog box will comeup, telling you to crop the picture to fit your phone. Press ok after you have trimmed them. Then go to Data> Send phone data, then only check the box labeled Wallpaper, and press ok. You can see the status at the bottom, and it will be transferring them slowly depending on the size of the photos. When it is done your phone will turn off by it self, and restart. (if it does not you may have to unplug the phone and restart manually)
    Your photos should be under "my content"

Upload Ringtones (MIDI)
    Set the phone under settings to A620.
    Go to ringers, under Media. Right click, then press add, and select the Midi file you want to upload to the phone. When it is ready to be uploaded to phone, there will be an icon of the ringer on the space on the right. Then click Data> Send phone data, then check only the ringtone box, and press ok. You will see the status bar at the bottom uploading, it may take some time depending on the size of the midi. And when it is done uploading, the phone will automatically turn off and restart, (if not then restart it manually)
    Your midi ringtone should be under My contents in the phone, uder ringers.

Upload Ringtone (mp3 or WAV)
    Set the phone again to A620 uder settings.
    Go to ringers, under Media. Right click, then press add, then select the mp3 ro wav file and select it. A box will comeup to convert audio file. Under that box, under optimization select a quality level from 0 to 3, (0 being the best) then press convert. This part will only work if you copied the (pvconv.exe that is included to (C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\pvconv.exe))
    Then some black boxes will show up, which means it is converting, it takes about 1 or 2minutes. When done simply press OK. (you can also trim the sound with moving the pink and red markers at the bottom of the dialog box)
    The icon for the sound file should show up on the space on the right, that means it is ready to upload. Click Data>Send Phone Data, and only check the ringtones box, and press OK. It will take longer than it took to upload midi files because these are bigger, it may take upto 5 minutes, depending on the lenght and quality of the sound. But ONLY! disconnect the phone when it is done, orit restarts by it self.

I guess that is about it for right now. at the moment I do not yet know how to upload games, and application, but I am looking into it.

I am not responsible for any damage you do to your phone. If you follow my guide correctly, everything should work fine.

If you ever want to delete anything from the phone, you can do so from within the phone under my contents, and simply pressing erase.

These methods may also be possible through bluetooth, but I dont have bluetooth in my computer, so I cannot test it. But you just have to make sure, that the right COM port for the phone is selected.

Please post any questions

Feedback Score
    Here is a direct link to the download:

http://dl022.filefactory.com/dl/f/c7...53fa67eb282b6/

Feedback Score
    this is a faster download speed:

http://ez-files.net/download.php?file=a77153e3

Feedback Score
    if you do not have photoshop. you can download this small and free image viewer.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfi...1/iview398.exe

Rightclick and save target as

Device(s)
    Samsung SPH-A640
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    any way this might be possible through bluetooth?

Device(s)
    Samsung SPH-A640
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    ah, please excuse my last post, did not read the last part of the instructions indicating that bluetooth may or may not work due to lack of testing. i'll be on a bluetooth machine relatively soon, so if nobody else has tried it yet i'll make a post about its success/failure.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I've been dying to know how to do this.

Feedback Score

Phone Carrier

Is it possible that this will not work cause my phone service carrier has put a block on it? I tried putting mp3's on my phone via Bluetooth, and the computer said "service is not supported". It is my understanding that phone carriers do this so we have to download ringtones from their sites. Would using a data cable be any different?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsted
    Is it possible that this will not work cause my phone service carrier has put a block on it? I tried putting mp3's on my phone via Bluetooth, and the computer said "service is not supported". It is my understanding that phone carriers do this so we have to download ringtones from their sites. Would using a data cable be any different?
    I dont know about bluetooth, but it may not work with bluetooth, maybe it is a bluetooth issue and not a phone carrier issue, if you can, try a usb cable, because it is a direct connection, and it should work.

Device(s)
    A640
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've been working with the Bluetooth portion but I do not think it will work. The only supported Bluetooth function/service is as a dial up modem.
    -Chris

Feedback Score
    hi, im new to this

but what data cable is needed? looking at the phone, there doesnt seem to be any place for a usb a-b cable, do i have to buy a special cable to plug into the power slot to transfer pictures?

Feedback Score
    will this work for bell mobility's sph a640 ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecet
    hi, im new to this

but what data cable is needed? looking at the phone, there doesnt seem to be any place for a usb a-b cable, do i have to buy a special cable to plug into the power slot to transfer pictures?
    you do need a special cable. They are usb cables for most samsung phones. and your connect them to the power port at the bottom

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddixter
    will this work for bell mobility's sph a640 ?
    should work for all a640, but I dont know.

Device(s)
    Touch HD
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    would this work for a T609?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast