Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Big spectrum auction tomorrow for T-Mobile

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/18693.php

Cable, Satellite, Cell-Phone Cos. Eye FCC Auction On Wed
    WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Cable companies, satellite broadcasters, and cell-phone service providers are lining up to compete for valuable new wireless licenses next week when the government kicks off an auction that could raise as much as US$15 billion.

The Federal Communications Commission on Aug. 9 commences an auction for 1,122 licenses for spectrum that is currently being used by the military and law enforcement. The licenses would help wireless carriers such as T-Mobile upgrade their services, while allowing cable and satellite companies to get into new business lines. The money raised will help switch government users to another frequency.

No one has more at stake than T-Mobile USA, a unit of Deutsche Telekom. The fourth-largest US wireless carrier lacks the capacity to provide mobile Internet services, which the three top players are already doing. If it wants to keep pace with its rivals, T-Mobile will have to bid aggressively for a multitude of spectrum licenses. Among the markets considered essential: New York.

"T-Mobile is in a bind," said Roger Entner, an analyst with research firm Ovum. "Everybody else can pass it by. They can wait two years and get different spectrum."

Analysts expect that rivals Cingular Wireless, Verizon Wireless, and Sprint Nextel may place bids partly to ensure that T-Mobile doesn't get spectrum too cheaply. The three wireless companies could always wait until the FCC's next big auction, to occur by 2008, when airwaves with the power to penetrate through walls will come up for sale. But waiting also would mean foregoing a chance to scoop up spectrum that could come in handy as high-capacity Internet usage expands.

For example, Verizon Wireless, owned by Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group, could make a play for spectrum in some select market and plans ahead for future capacity needs. While it still has a comfortable position, Robert W. Baird & Co. analyst William Power said it would be prudent for the company to buy some spectrum to meet its rapidly growing subscriber base.

Cable Companies

Cable companies already offer television, Internet, and phone service. But they lack cell-phone services - which could be sold to consumers as part of a whole package. Comcast and Time Warner have teamed with Sprint up to bid for wireless licenses through a group called SpectrumCo. The group has placed $637.7 million in upfront bids, among the highest.

But their intentions remain a mystery. Last year, Sprint formed a joint venture with a consortium of cable providers to provide wireless service. It's unclear whether the spectrum licenses will go towards the joint venture, or to the individual cable companies. Sprint, by itself, already has spectrum it acquired from its merger with Nextel Communications. It's considered unlikely that the cable companies would take the spectrum for themselves since they have had a poor track record of offering wireless service. They previously sold their wireless business to Sprint.

Satellite Companies

In the meantime, satellite companies would benefit from the ability to offer high-capacity service - or "broadband." With the increased focus on bundling TV service with broadband Internet and phone service, satellite companies are seen as at a disadvantage because of their inability to offer services other than video.

"Network guys are in this battle of the bundles, and increasingly the core part of the bundle is broadband," said Blair Levin, a former FCC official who is now a telecommunications analyst at Stifel, Nicolaus & Co. Inc.

Both DirecTV Group, which is owned by News Corp., and EchoStar Communications have paired up with phone carriers to offer competing bundles, but these measures are considered temporary since the phone companies are investing in fiber optic cable to create their own TV service. EchoStar and DirecTV have teamed up to form Wireless DBS LLC, a consortium that has put down $972.5 million to bid.

The auction may stretch into September. FCC auctions don't close until the bidding ends. In the meantime, analysts are divided on whether the auction will raise $15 billion. Although proceeds typically exceed estimates, some analysts say that the amount of available spectrum may outweigh demand.

-By Siobhan Hughes and Roger Cheng, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-6654; [email protected]; [email protected]

Device(s)
    HTC Dash
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Tomorrow really is a huge day for T-Mobile. Let's all hope they come out swinging!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't like the part about it stretching into Sept.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Plus, they should save money to get the 2008 spectrum auction which is for the 700MHz band. That would give T-Mobile more coverage than Cingular.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    700MHz would be nice. Definitely better building penetration. However, I would not hold my breath on the availability of that spectrum. Currently it should become available with the shutdown of NTSC television in February 2009. I would not be surprised if Congress pushes that date back again at the last minute. After all, if a large number of households cannot receive television over the air once the signal is switched off, how will they possibly be able to see the "congress critters" political ads?
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by n2jtx
    700MHz would be nice. Definitely better building penetration. However, I would not hold my breath on the availability of that spectrum. Currently it should become available with the shutdown of NTSC television in February 2009. I would not be surprised if Congress pushes that date back again at the last minute. After all, if a large number of households cannot receive television over the air once the signal is switched off, how will they possibly be able to see the "congress critters" political ads?
    Oh well. People will just have to stop being cheap and get cable or satellite. No one should have regular tv anymore.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Here is a nice piece of info:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060809/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--
    Wednesday's auction is expected to attract bids between $10 billion and $15 billion, according to estimates from the
    Congressional Budget Office. It is the biggest auction since late 2000 and early 2001, when a spectrum sale attracted $16.9 billion in bids.

The total amount of spectrum for auction is 90 megahertz, more than twice the amount occupied by Verizon Wireless. The amount of spectrum, combined with the fact that the licenses for sale span the nation means a major new player could emerge.

"If someone wanted to put together a national footprint they could do that in this auction," said former FCC Commissioner Harold Furchtgott-Roth.

While there is enough spectrum available to create a new network, a more likely result will be an upgrade and expansion of services for wireless customers. Besides high-speed Internet access, consumers may enjoy clearer reception on voice calls, music downloads, video streaming and other offerings.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Link to actual auction, it begins a 10AM EST: (Select auction 66 under Public Viewing)
    https://auctionbidding.fcc.gov/aucti...!1155091027299

Remember now because of a new FCC decision, the results won't be posted until the end of each round, but it'll still allow us to keep on and see which licenses T-Mobile is winning
    Last edited by cmc0; 08-08-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16

Terry, you need to learn to consolidate your posts. You had enough time to go back and edit post 6 to include post 7.

As for the auction tomorrow. I hope T-Mobile is propserous with what they get and just don't let it sit unused.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hope T-mo has a wad of cash packed away that they can toss out tomorrow, would be awesome for them to get at least half of that spectrum so that they can grow

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I like the part about this auction being for 2 times the amount of spectrum Verizon wireless has. I also like the part about this auction spectrum being able to be used to improve the voice network, and add data too.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3gS 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am excited. I am betting Tmo wins if not, maybe a buyout.
    Don't believe everything you think..

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by reiner15
    Hope T-mo has a wad of cash packed away that they can toss out tomorrow, would be awesome for them to get at least half of that spectrum so that they can grow
    DT said they have $2.5 Billion in cash set aside but me thinks they will need between $4-5 billion to acquire nationwide spectrum in the AWS auction. What I think will happen is T-mobile will get spectrum for the major citys (NY,LA Chicago etc) but will miss out on the smaller markets and will be forced to buy spectrum later on for those markets from the other winning bidders

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc0
    DT said they have $2.5 Billion in cash set aside but me thinks they will need between $4-5 billion to acquire nationwide spectrum in the AWS auction. What I think will happen is T-mobile will get spectrum for the major citys (NY,LA Chicago etc) but will miss out on the smaller markets and will be forced to buy spectrum later on for those markets from the other winning bidders

Is that what DT is putting in?

That's odd that "mother" is helping out the "youngest child" (T-Mobile USA).

Sadly, I think you're right in saying that if that's all they have in their purse, they don't have a good chance at winning alot at this dice game.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Considering the position they are in right now, I feel that T-Mobile is not being aggressive enough in this auction. The fact that they weren't first or second, but third in the pre-auction lineup makes me feel uneasy. I'm having trouble getting to sleep because of it lol. Seriously. They better do well.
    |Jeff|

HTC EVO, Sprint 3G

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast