AT&T 6.5 Jack - ICS won't connect. Help!

dtc

Carrier(s)
ATT
Device(s)
iPhone 6, iPad 3
I upgraded my Samsung Jack to 6.5 yesterday.

Now, when I go to Internet Sharing, I always get this error:

"Failed to connect to the internet. Data coverage may be unavailable."

How do I fix this? It was working fine before.

Anyone have a fix here ? I have same problem !!!

My Samsung Jack running WM 6.5 will not connect using Internet Sharing. My IE works fine ... Mobile Web works OK (after I downloaded the new Opera Mini).

Surely there are other people who have run into this problem... ?

Also - does anyone know about how to run Samsung Mobile Modem ? I really can't find much doc on that stuff. Can I use this to connect to the Internet from my laptop using my Jack as a "modem" or gateway ?

Thanks...

Do I need tethering package with WM 6.5 ICS ?

Does anyone know ? I need to get my laptop working with Internet and want to use my new Samsung Jack WM 6.5 !!!!

My old Motorola Q9H with WM 6.1 still works fine but I want to use the new phone...

Are you trying to make a BT connection or a USB connection with ICS? I just tried using BT with ICS and kept getting 'Waiting on Network'. I am now connected with a USB cable and ICS is working fine on my Samsung Jack with WM 6.5. I upgraded back in November when it first came out and have used it successfully since day 1. Tonight with the BT connection was the first time I have had any issues.

Regards,

Tom

This is a USB connection with ICS. I get 'Waiting on Network' after the initial Failed to connect message... Thanks for the help ! My laptop is WIN XP with ActiveSync 4.5.

vgarzajr said:
This is a USB connection with ICS. I get 'Waiting on Network' after the initial Failed to connect message... Thanks for the help ! My laptop is WIN XP with ActiveSync 4.5.

OK, my laptop is running Windows 7 x64 and after I made a USB connection to answer your post, I was able to get a BT connection working, too. Also I do have the data and tethering package on my account (it is a company phone).

Regards,

Tom

Wow .. tethering package ?

Can you give me more details on that ? Maybe I need to try BT on mine also.. ?
My Motorola Q works fine using USB with ONLY the data plan - no tethering package...

I've never heard of a tethering package before - but I have seen some stuff on LaptopConnect. I'm not real sure what is really required here...

If I can figure out a way to reflash my Samsung Jack back to Windows Mobile 6.1 I will definitely do it...

vgarzajr said:
Can you give me more details on that ? Maybe I need to try BT on mine also.. ?

Assuming your laptop has Bluetooth, pair your Jack with your laptop and then when you start ICS change from USB to Bluetooth and then Connect.

Back on the laptop under Bluetooth options you would select "Join a Personal Network" or something similar and then select the Jack.

Back on the Jack, you should see the ICS status change to "Connected" just like USB.

vgarzajr said:
My Motorola Q works fine using USB with ONLY the data plan - no tethering package...

I've never heard of a tethering package before - but I have seen some stuff on LaptopConnect. I'm not real sure what is really required here...

The actual service is SmartPhone Personal with tethering.

vgarzajr said:
If I can figure out a way to reflash my Samsung Jack back to Windows Mobile 6.1 I will definitely do it...

Did you guys performed any hack on ICS? If not, that's what you will get (6.1 should be the same). You need pay for tethering plan to use ICS out of box. The hack to enable it otherwise is well documented.

I have only seen a hack for ICS on WM 6.1 ... ?

Is there a hack for WM 6.5 ??? I will research more but from what I've seen there is only a hack for WM 6.1 (since ICS did not come with it on some phones).

Thanks again.

That's the same thing as BJ2 WM 6.1 hack. Of course, you have to get by the much more difficult App unlock for Jack (requires a special cab file that no other WM phones need).

There is another way without need the app unlock or reg hack. It involves the UAMgr app found under Windows folder to unlock the read-only bit for GPRS connections and then you can modify the AT&T ISP connection (the one ICS hard coded to) to be the exact same settings as 'MEdia Net' connection so that ICS will no use your Media Net instead.

No ICS even after AT&T ISP -> MediaNet

I have changed the ISP setting to use Media Net and it still doesn't work for me. I still get the "Failed to connect" message.

I get the exact same thing with BT so I guess I will try the 6.1 hack on 6.5 and see if that does anything.

I do not want to pay extra for the tethering package ... I'm not even sure that it will even work based on my current experienced with WM 6.5.
My Motorola Q9H connects fine with ICS / MediaNet running WM 6.1 hack.

Thanks...

I am trying to use ics with a Jack. I hear of hacks and different things that I need to do. Is there anywhere that I can go to see the full walkthrough of how it is done? I am using WM 6.5.

Back