Activating New Total Wireless iPhone on Page Plus

Ad Above Message List

aKansasKid

HoFo Member
It's been a couple of years, but the last time I bought a (discounted) Total Wireless iPhone, I simply put in my Page Plus (actually, Tracfone) SIM card from my then current iPhone into that new iPhone, and it activated and started right up. No need to contact Page Plus.

Can anyone confirm this still works? I'm betting it does. Thanks! :)

It's been a couple of years, but the last time I bought a (discounted) Total Wireless iPhone, I simply put in my Page Plus (actually, Tracfone) SIM card from my then current iPhone into that new iPhone, and it activated and started right up. No need to contact Page Plus.

Can anyone confirm this still works? I'm betting it does. Thanks! :)

Last I did was back in February. All good.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
I wonder if this counts toward unlocking ("automatic rebranding") vs calling them and having the phone rebranded ?

I wonder if this counts toward unlocking ("automatic rebranding") vs calling them and having the phone rebranded ?

There in lies the question that never had a consensus answer. Some have just swapped sims and reported their different brand unlocked ok, some have claimed swapping but then had unlock issues, others have contacted CS to request rebranding and were ok, or told they must buy a PP phone from them and can't rebrand (which we all know is bogus).

In my case I always buy unlocked phones except one TF Flip years ago which I didn't care if it got unlocked or not. Never had it active long enough to find out.
In @aKansasKid's case they said they previously swapped from a current iPhone into a new iPhone so I assumed they don't care about that aspect.

In @aKansasKid's case they said they previously swapped from a current iPhone into a new iPhone so I assumed they don't care about that aspect.

True 'dat. I was asking for my B-I-L, who opted for the $250 iPhone 11 from Total Wireless instead of replacing the poor battery in his TW SE2020. I explained the possibility of automatically being transferred from PP to wherever Verizon sends us after Novembers 2024, in conjunction with his locked-to-Tracfone-companies iPhone 11. He's OK with that.

My own iPhone 11 is also a TW phone, but I've been using it going on 2 years. If I have to switch phones next year for another company, I'm OK with that. It was a big enough savings to justify only lasting maybe 3 years. But, I won't be upgrading it until I see my options when PP disappears.

Didn't I read here that PagePlus is not doing new activations?

Didn't I read here that PagePlus is not doing new activations?

I think that applied to dealers and not for doing it right on the PP website. But I really don't know if they stopped it on their website. They soon have to stop new activations if they haven't with 2024 closing in.
But in the OPs case they're swapping sims so not a new activation. Even if transferring service to a new phone, that wouldn't be a new activation. But it's TF, who knows.

My understanding is, they're doing new activations until Nov. '24, just over 14 months from now. So what's going to happen to those poor souls who happen to be the last new accounts taken in on the service? Do you think PPC will just be ended and people will be "shown the door," so to speak? I don't think so.

My understanding is, they're doing new activations until Nov. '24, just over 14 months from now. So what's going to happen to those poor souls who happen to be the last new accounts taken in on the service? Do you think PPC will just be ended and people will be "shown the door," so to speak? I don't think so.
I expect that soon existing Page Plus customers will be encouraged to migrate to one of the other TF brands. They will probably be offered a minor perk like a free month of service or free low end phone for voluntarily migrating. Any holdouts after Nov., 24 will either be forcibly migrated or their service will be terminated. TF might grandfather existing Page Plus plans on another of their brands but probably won't, except for California customers who must be allowed to keep current plans until Nov., 26 under an agreement between Verizon and the CA attorney general.

I just find it straining credibility that someone who, for whatever reason or however unlikely, signs up in October '24, and one month later is considered a holdout. An announcement now that they hope to clear the system of users by Nov.' 24 along with suggested preferred paths forward would seem to be what most here are expecting (or how they're interpreting it), but that isn't what the words issued so far by the company are expressing. So we're in the period where Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt are getting a lot of traction.

99% of users will not have any idea of such issues.

The company will want to retain their current revenues level right up to the last possible moment.

Same with new signups, who may or may not be given the same transition offers as long term customers.

When the company is ready to try to convert the user base over to another in-house brand then they will reach out directly

certainly not relying on forums and other social media to spread the word, except as a low-cost supplement.

OBTW: B-I-L's TW iPhone 11 arrived yesterday. As expected, he simply moved his SIM over from his iPhone SE2020, and everything worked just fine. Like it always has for me.

Back