All that JAS.....JAR

Dave Evans

HoFo Member
My hero David Weiniger the MadMonkeyBoy was kind enough to send me one of his precious iMate Jasjars to do a review for him. I will post the review in a few days when I have had time to run it through its paces, and written the review. In the meantime I thought I would post a few pictures of the Jasjar for those of you who have not seen one yet. There are 40 some odd pictures. They are un-edited. I just snapped the pictures and downloaded them, so some may be a bit rough. Later this evening I will try to post a bunch of screenshots as well.

If you have any questions let me know. Keep in mine that whtrbt7 and a couple of others have been answering a lot of questions in another thread. whtrbt7 has answered some pretty indepth and technical questions. If anyone wants something verified,that they haven't, again just let me know.

Two things I have noticed very early on....the screen quality of this device is excellent. I think the best I have ever seen. Secondly, if you have blown this device off solely because it is too big. I think you should see and hold one, you may change your mind. I'm not saying you definitely will. It is big, but not as big as you expect. It's more of a 6" brick than it is a 12" block.

jas1.jpg

This show the memory available out of the box, after the extended ROM has installed all its applications. Not as much as I expected. There seems to be a lot of space used already. I will check what is used from the apps in the extended ROM

jas2.jpg

jas3.jpg

jas4.jpg

jas5.jpg

jas6.jpg

jas7.jpg

jas8.jpg

jas9.jpg

jas10.jpg

jas12.jpg

jas13.jpg

jas14.jpg

jas15.jpg

jas17.jpg

jas18.jpg

jas19.jpg

jas20.jpg

jas21.jpg

jas22.jpg

jas24.jpg

jas25.jpg

jas26.jpg

jas27.jpg

If you haven't seen an x50v Axim it is almost identical in size to the PDA2k (Blue Angel) so that should give you a pretty good perspective on size.

jas28.jpg

The eten is very similar in size to the JAM, only thicker. The thickness is about the same as the Wizard.

jas29.jpg

jas30.jpg

jas31.jpg

jas33.jpg

jas34.jpg

jas35.jpg

jas36.jpg

jas37.jpg

jas38.jpg

jas39.jpg

jas40.jpg

jas41.jpg

jas42.jpg

jas43.jpg

jas44.jpg

jas45.jpg

jas46.jpg

jas47.jpg

jas48.jpg

jas49.jpg

jas50.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, I would love to see it held up to your ear and another shot with the eten for comparison. As much as I like the form factor and the wow factor, I cannot give it strong consideration until it has edge and 850 band.

Thanks for the shots!

hitch said:
Dave, I would love to see it held up to your ear and another shot with the eten for comparison.

Yeah, pose with it like those girls from BengalBoy's site do. :lol:

BeyondTheTech said:
Yeah, pose with it like those girls from BengalBoy's site do. :lol:

Yeah, Canadian chicks are hot.

Anyone wanna take bets on whether or not Dave Evans ends up buying one of these. I have one and I don't think he'll be able to hold back.

After being very enthusiastic about this device (and in UK it will only be £150 with a cheap contract) I really could not live with only 27 MB free. It also does not have USB host or graphics acceleration. I feel it has been MPX'd in a way, and I think I will stick with my SE V800 3G phone and Loox 720 VGA PPC.

Surur

I added in a few pictures on the end. A couple of my son holding it to his ear for you, hitch.

Dave

Surur said:
After being very enthusiastic about this device (and in UK it will only be £150 with a cheap contract) I really could not live with only 27 MB free.
Surur

You could very well be right, Surur. I know leading up you were afraid it wouldn't have enough RAM, and I was afraid it might not have enough ROM. I think we may both be right......we'll see how it shacks out before...

155....MMB said the samething. He figured I would buy it....unfortunately I think it is already sold.

Dave

Nice pics. Yeah, the JasJar is a pretty nice machine. I was one of the few (1000) at Microsoft's PDC conference this week that were able to pick up this bad boy for the low price of $149.00. Unbelievable value. :)

BTT, if your comment was some sort of jab towards bengalboy's website, save it. if you dont like it, dont visit it. i dont understand why people keep on bashing him after all he has done for this community. his site caters to a different crowd, i personally like his site, and im helping as much as i can to make it grow. is it gonna grow? i dont know, but i will help him, he is a super nice guy, who does things because he wants, and he isn't out to try to impress anyone. so for those of you who have something bad to say, your saying it out of ignorance.....

Thanks for the pics Dave, I was able to play with one back in July for a but I think I forgot how bit it really was between then and now. The last 2 pics tell it all for me, that thing is HUGE! :goodness:

OMG...it is enormous! Must definetely be used with a BT headset....without it, it looks more RETRO than Geek chic.....

MileHighAko said:
Nice pics. Yeah, the JasJar is a pretty nice machine. I was one of the few (1000) at Microsoft's PDC conference this week that were able to pick up this bad boy for the low price of $149.00. Unbelievable value. :)

You lucky dawg!! I'm surprised you made it of the building alive. ;)

Mashie said:
Thanks for the pics Dave, I was able to play with one back in July for a but I think I forgot how bit it really was between then and now. The last 2 pics tell it all for me, that thing is HUGE! :goodness:

I can see this as a primary phone using bluetooth only with it, possibly using add a line and forwarding calls to my smt5600 when the geek holster is out of place... but the whole idea of these things is convergence, and keeping two phones close by will not get me any closer than what I have now with phone and seperate ppc. I think I'll wait for the wizzard and see how it is.

Unless your son is possibly a very mature looking three year old, It is much to large to use up to the ear:lolup:

PiTT said:
BTT, if your comment was some sort of jab towards bengalboy's website, save it. if you dont like it, dont visit it. i dont understand why people keep on bashing him after all he has done for this community. his site caters to a different crowd, i personally like his site, and im helping as much as i can to make it grow. is it gonna grow? i dont know, but i will help him, he is a super nice guy, who does things because he wants, and he isn't out to try to impress anyone. so for those of you who have something bad to say, your saying it out of ignorance.....

Don't worry about it Dude. I don't think he meant anything by it. We're not going there......it's about Pocket PCs.......

hitch said:
I can see this as a primary phone using bluetooth only with it, possibly using add a line and forwarding calls to my smt5600 when the geek holster is out of place... but the whole idea of these things is convergence, and keeping two phones close by will not get me any closer than what I have now with phone and seperate ppc. I think I'll wait for the wizzard and see how it is.

Unless your son is possibly a very mature looking three year old, It is much to large to use up to the ear:lolup:

I would agree. This NOT a phone to be held to your ear. It is very definitely more of a data-centric device, and meant to be used with a headset.

...and my son is 18. He only acts like he is three. :hehehe:

how is the phone coverage on rogers? im in BC on the west coast, im lookin to replace my phone with a pda/phone. i think the wizard would be the best choice for its size with all the features ive seen nothing that compares as of yet if there is somthing let me know because i tired of waiting. anyway would you find this device to be a hassel to carry every where yo go ?

Surur said:
After being very enthusiastic about this device (and in UK it will only be £150 with a cheap contract) I really could not live with only 27 MB free. It also does not have USB host or graphics acceleration. I feel it has been MPX'd in a way, and I think I will stick with my SE V800 3G phone and Loox 720 VGA PPC.

Surur

The sad thing is that many windows mobile 5.0 devices do not have particularly better specs. It isn't as though the problems we are talkimg about will be unique to the jasjar. I like my jasjar though.1

boxer82003 said:
how is the phone coverage on rogers? im in BC on the west coast, im lookin to replace my phone with a pda/phone. i think the wizard would be the best choice for its size with all the features ive seen nothing that compares as of yet if there is somthing let me know because i tired of waiting. anyway would you find this device to be a hassel to carry every where yo go ?

so far reception seems pretty good. Where I'm sitting now I'm getting 2 bars, where normally with the eten I get one. 2 bars is about what I used to get with my JAM....either the 850 or the 900/1900

Dave

Back