America Movil buys Page Plus

Volaris

Carrier(s)
T-Mobile US
Now that America Movil (Mexican telecommunications giant - owner of Tracfone, Net10, Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, Telcel America, and Safelink) has bought Page Plus, I wonder what changes will come? Hopefully they keep their US based customer service. Apparently Page Plus had 1.4 million customers.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2013/05/20/america-movil-to-buy-us-operator-start-wireless/

Start Wireless =
http://www.hoovers.com/company-info...tart_Wireless_Group_Inc.223b3df368659bff.html

=

1615 Timber Wolf Dr
Holland, OH, 43528

= Page Plus

It wasn't mentioned how much they paid for it. Makes sense since Straight Talk / Net10 are now serious Verizon customers. Maybe it'll get them even more affordable rates?

Aww crap goodbye USA customer service, I have the 12 for my stepson as long as I can keep it I'll be alright, but this isn't good news.

Ouch

Nothing good can come out of this for it's subscribers IMO and sadly those American jobs will get shipped overseas.

At least Verizon's own prepaid offerings are getting better and AT&T is rolling out Aio.

Now that America Movil (Mexican telecommunications giant - owner of Tracfone, Net10, Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, Telcel America, and Safelink) has bought Page Plus, I wonder what changes will come? Hopefully they keep their US based customer service. Apparently Page Plus had 1.4 million customers.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2013/05/20/america-movil-to-buy-us-operator-start-wireless/

Start Wireless =
http://www.hoovers.com/company-info...tart_Wireless_Group_Inc.223b3df368659bff.html

=

1615 Timber Wolf Dr
Holland, OH, 43528

= Page Plus

It wasn't mentioned how much they paid for it. Makes sense since Straight Talk / Net10 are now serious Verizon customers. Maybe it'll get them even more affordable rates?

Nah. No hope there. They're going to integrate all the backend into Tracfone's horridly bad overseas CS. Say bye bye to US call centers GUARANTEED. How do we know? They already did this with Simple mobile, the largest once independent Tmobile mvno when they bought them out. It will happen again. Slim /AM is ruthless. 'm just glad there's a couple of smaller/newer independent Verizon mvnos out there still left like Next G and Talk for Good. Within a few months you will see Page plus's support quality PLUNGE.

I agree with Bill M that it is good that Verizon prepaid is getting more competitive. The prepaid division of a major carrier will never get bought out short of the ENTIRE company getting bought out.

This is the end of Page Plus as we know it service wise if it goes like how Simple mobile did.
I wonder if Slim is gunning for an Att or Sprint mvno? Whoever is next, leave Air Voice alone.

Nah. No hope there. They're going to integrate all the backend into Tracfone's horridly bad overseas CS. Say bye bye to US call centers GUARANTEED. How do we know? They already did this with Simple mobile, the largest once independent Tmobile mvno when they bought them out. It will happen again. Slim /AM is ruthless. 'm just glad there's a couple of smaller/newer independent Verizon mvnos out there still left like Next G and Talk for Good. Within a few months you will see Page plus's support quality PLUNGE.

I agree with Bill M that it is good that Verizon prepaid is getting more competitive. The prepaid division of a major carrier will never get bought out short of the ENTIRE company getting bought out.

This is the end of Page Plus as we know it service wise if it goes like how Simple mobile did.
I wonder if Slim is gunning for an Att or Sprint mvno? Whoever is next, leave Air Voice alone.
Honestly I think they're gunning for any MVNO that shows promise / is growing.

Slim knows more and more Americans are going prepaid, so it seems their goal is to increase US marketshare by buying out most MVNOs that Americans will consider. All without spending billions in spectrum and network gear. Seems like a smart strategy until the big 4 match MVNO prices.

I hope they leave Page Plus prices/plans alone. Or maybe they'll do what they did with Simple Mobile and lower prices, especially for data (such as bringing the $55 plan to $50 or $45/month.

But yeah - the US customer service is probably gonna go. If they're lucky they might get some in Miami.

I wonder if they're going to expand the Page Plus brand to big stores, such as Target / Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon etc.

Honestly I think they're gunning for any MVNO that shows promise / is growing.

Slim knows more and more Americans are going prepaid, so it seems their goal is to increase US marketshare by buying out most MVNOs that Americans will consider. All without spending billions in spectrum and network gear. Seems like a smart strategy until the big 4 match MVNO prices.

I hope they leave Page Plus prices/plans alone. Or maybe they'll do what they did with Simple Mobile and lower prices, especially for data (such as bringing the $55 plan to $50 or $45/month.

But yeah - the US customer service is probably gonna go. If they're lucky they might get some in Miami.

I wonder if they're going to expand the Page Plus brand to big stores, such as Target / Best Buy / Walmart / Amazon etc.

I don’t see Carlos putting Page Plus in major stores. He has not done so with Simple Mobile as of yet, either. I think that the big names (Straight Talk, Tracfone, Net10 and now Telcel America) will remain in major outlets while Simple and Page Plus will stay with the independent smaller stores. That way he gets customers and cash from so many different angles. I also agree that he will gut the CS at Page Plus.

this is bad news. almost like an April's Fool Day announcement. But the reality is that although I;ve been on PPC for a while now and really like and support the service as it;s gotten better, if things go downhill, I will be forced to look for an alternative.

if they decide to kill PPC altogether to prop up their competing services, I can only hope that someone steps in to fill the void. there is a market out there with money to be made for a CDMA carrier that uses Verizon towers and recycled Verizon phones.

I wonder if putting this in place had anything to do with the "here-then-gone" ST introduction of BYOD on VZ?

A sad day. I think loosing another competitor and another consumer option is not good.

I find most interesting the official statement that PP has 1.4 Million subscribers.
http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=481327
This report says that Simple Mobile had 1 Million subscribers when Trac bought them last year.

PP has been in business a lot longer than SM and yet PP has about the same subs. My guess is the subs at PP have shrunken a lot in the past couple of years. My guess is that 1.4M is not their high point.

I don’t see Carlos putting Page Plus in major stores. He has not done so with Simple Mobile as of yet, either. I think that the big names (Straight Talk, Tracfone, Net10 and now Telcel America) will remain in major outlets while Simple and Page Plus will stay with the independent smaller stores. That way he gets customers and cash from so many different angles. I also agree that he will gut the CS at Page Plus.

Many of the smaller independent Wireless stores hate dealing with America Movil and may end up moving to other offerings and dropping Page Plus due to the support issues.

What are the alternatives in NYC area (on Verizon or other networks) for PP $30 and $12 plans?

Wow, I jumped ship from Straight Talk after they started changing too much for no apparent reason and not communicating with their customers. America Movil is a bad company - they're also partially owned by Ma' Bell herself - that should give you pause too.

Hmmm... I don't think they'll mess with things too badly; the plans aren't that different from AM's current offerings. They've never had any trouble having each brand have its own set of plans before, I don't know why that would change.

But yeah, I'm not looking forward to AM customer service (or lack thereof)... if they don't drop the price on the 55 but change the customer service over to AM's setup, I might as well switch to ST, which offers essentially the same plan for $10 less/mo.

You gotta be kidding me! This sucks. I went to page plus to get away from Straight Talk.
Sent from my Lumia 800 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Back