AT&T AT&T data breach! 73 million may be affected!

FAUguy

22 Year HoFo Member!
Carrier(s)
AT&T PrePaid, Verizon
Device(s)
Samsung S22 Ultra 512GB, Note 10 Plus, Note 9, Note 4 DE, Note 3, DROID RAZR, V9m, VX8000
I had read that AT&T had a data breachz and even though it was from a few years ago, the information was only available "for sale", but now they are saying the information is now fully available and to watch out for SIM swaps on accounts, fake text and calls from ATT, and to monitor your credit report.
What I've noticed is that I had received 32 spam calls (blocked with AT&T Active Armor) over the past 3 days. They are from 4 number, and all call within seconds of each other. When you try to call the number, it doesn't even connect.
So something is definitely going on.

"Something" is always going on.

Nothing in particular to do with any one victim company

Hundreds of data breaches, just assume all your info - anything you've voluntarily given away to any computer database - is fully out there for free,

and treat those precautionary measures as routine.

I've only had 2 in the past week, which is actually lower than usual. I have my credit reports frozen at the big credit agencies, a strong password and PIN on my AT&T accounts, and a PIN setup with the IRS, so there isn't really much more I can do right now.

I've only had 2 in the past week, which is actually lower than usual. I have my credit reports frozen at the big credit agencies, a strong password and PIN on my AT&T accounts, and a PIN setup with the IRS, so there isn't really much more I can do right now.

I'm pretty much the same way. But the spam auto blocked calls I would usually get maybe 1-2 a week. The other day was 14 between 10:22 and 10:24am all from the same number. So far it's been three different numbers doing it.

I'm pretty much the same way. But the spam auto blocked calls I would usually get maybe 1-2 a week. The other day was 14 between 10:22 and 10:24am all from the same number. So far it's been three different numbers doing it.

did you try changing your phone number ??

Last edited:
For a daily driver number I cared about for T&T I would switch to a provider with good anti-spam that also made blocking easy.

I've never received more than one call from any spam number...

did you try changing your phone number ??
I've had this phone number since 1997 when I got it and my mom's number from PrimeCo where you could actually pick your number from their list.
They eventually merged into Verizon and had been with them for almost 2 decades before changing to ATT about 7 years ago. I use their Active Armor app, and it does pretty good at auto blocking spam calls ... All of these were auto blocked. The only reason I noticed it was a notification about it in the top menu.

So, one repeat offender or four/32 times?

So, one repeat offender or four/32 times?

9PPvvwk.jpeg

I moved this thread over to the regular AT&T forum, as this is not exclusively a prepaid problem

I've had this phone number since 1997 when I got it and my mom's number from PrimeCo where you could actually pick your number from their list.
They eventually merged into Verizon and had been with them for almost 2 decades before changing to ATT about 7 years ago. I use their Active Armor app, and it does pretty good at auto blocking spam calls ... All of these were auto blocked. The only reason I noticed it was a notification about it in the top menu.

Active Armor is great in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT&T data breach, 32 spam calls in 3 day.

Active Armor is great in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! Although a couple times it was blocking important numbers that it shouldn’t of have, but it was an easy fix. I like that it’s easy to configure.

Yesterday had 10 more calls from the same numbers as before, 8 of them all came in at 2:42-43pm. Active Armor blocked them all.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/att-data-breach-2024-cbs-news-explains/

I would expect this from T-Mobile, but AT&T is sure dropping the ball these days. First the network outage, and now a major data of breach.

What's really gonna blow your mind is that the data in question was from 2019... 5 years ago. Did AT&T even notify customers about the 2019 breach? The CBS News article doesn't say. :befuddled

I haven't received a notice from AT&T yet, but then, I'm a bit unusual. My very first cell phone was with them, but I discontinued my service with them in 2003, and ported that number to Nextel. I then ported it again to T-Mobile at the end of 2006, after Nextel's merger with Sprint turned Nextel to poo. In the Summer of 2022, I opened my first line of service with AT&T Wireless in 19 years, so that I could take advantage of their $20 Unlimited Tablet Data Plan to give my cellular tablet a direct internet connection.

So, since I wasn't an AT&T customer in 2019, and hadn't been for 16 years at that point, I may not have been affected by this breach. But it sounds like AT&T's cybersecurity may be woefully out of date by today's standards. Probably means their upper management doesn't want to spend the money to bring it up to modern standards. :disappoin

AT&T data breach! 73 million may be affected!

What's really gonna blow your mind is that the data in question was from 2019... 5 years ago. Did AT&T even notify customers about the 2019 breach? The CBS News article doesn't say. :befuddled

I haven't received a notice from AT&T yet, but then, I'm a bit unusual. My very first cell phone was with them, but I discontinued my service with them in 2003, and ported that number to Nextel. I then ported it again to T-Mobile at the end of 2006, after Nextel's merger with Sprint turned Nextel to poo. In the Summer of 2022, I opened my first line of service with AT&T Wireless in 19 years, so that I could take advantage of their $20 Unlimited Tablet Data Plan to give my cellular tablet a direct internet connection.

So, since I wasn't an AT&T customer in 2019, and hadn't been for 16 years at that point, I may not have been affected by this breach. But it sounds like AT&T's cybersecurity may be woefully out of date by today's standards. Probably means their upper management doesn't want to spend the money to bring it up to modern standards. :disappoin

Yeah, if you haven’t been with them all those years, then you have nothing to worry about. As for me, I’m a little concerned because I’ve been with them since the beginning. I went ahead and changed my password and my passcode. We’ll see what happens with this.

So many companies and the US Govt has compromised my personal information that I might as well post it all publicly myself!

So many companies and the US Govt has compromised my personal information that I might as well post it all publicly myself!

Haha might as well buy a billboard off of the interstate.

https://att.pentester.com/

Put in your phone # on file with att. Shows what data was breached. For me it had my UNIQUE (only used at att) email address, name, address, dob, ssn, att account number.

Few days ago when I called into att for a different concern (fiber internet), system rejected my passcode. This indicates it was changed. However I've yet to receive any emails or snail mail letters alerting of compromised data. To this day att still claims my account is unaffected.

Back on march 19th, I received an email from https://haveibeenpwned.com/ indicating some email from my domain (specifically uniqueemailaddress@domain.com used for att only) was discovered on the dark web. It would appear att's is lying. For now all 3 credit bureau profiles are frozen + chex. I suppose moving forward there is no need to unfreeze anything unless opening a new account.

AT&T data breach! 73 million may be affected!

https://att.pentester.com/

Put in your phone # on file with att. Shows what data was breached. For me it had my UNIQUE (only used at att) email address, name, address, dob, ssn, att account number.

Few days ago when I called into att for a different concern (fiber internet), system rejected my passcode. This indicates it was changed. However I've yet to receive any emails or snail mail letters alerting of compromised data. To this day att still claims my account is unaffected.

Back on march 19th, I received an email from https://haveibeenpwned.com/ indicating some email from my domain (specifically uniqueemailaddress@domain.com used for att only) was discovered on the dark web. It would appear att's is lying. For now all 3 credit bureau profiles are frozen + chex. I suppose moving forward there is no need to unfreeze anything unless opening a new account.

That link reported back no data found for my phone number, so maybe that’s a good thing? We shall see.

Back