Verizon BlackBerry Storm 9530 (aka Thunder) Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crucial_Xtreme said:
This will not be a problem with the Storm. When you have the device between your head and shoulders talking, you will not "start trippin buttons". ;)

:buddies: Thanks CX! Will we have any problems seeing the Storm in direct sunlight? If you can't answer/hint that, it's cool!

dikiem said:
FYI

http://crackberry.com/exclusive-verizon-blackberry-storm-pre-launch-details

verizonstormlaunchsmall2.jpg

I wonder if Oct 1st also mean when it will show up in store. I would like to see it and physically compare it with the HTC Diamond / Apple iPhone.

anyone else notice that if u go to crackberry's site and enlarge the pic that the bottom is cut off? u can see the top of the text from another sentence. wonder what it says...

phillypharm said:
anyone else notice that if u go to crackberry's site and enlarge the pic that the bottom is cut off? u can see the top of the text from another sentence. wonder what it says...

It's just some little listing with links to other PDF internal doc's. If you go a few pages back you'll see that the whole thing is posted up.

edit: maybe not...maybe I saw it on CB but I do remember that it was like file links to other PDF files.

Stop-N-Go said:
The screen is 3.25". Also, everyone is forgetting what insiders have said about this phone. It is a HYBRID device. Everyone seems to be forgetting that. There is still some things we don't know about both the CDMA and GSM models.
Does the term hybrid refer to just the radios between the two devices or is there more?

How will it handle fast typing?

The clicking/moving screen is novel and sounds very interesting (could be revolutionary), but will it really work for fast typers?

On any regular qwerty keyboard, for a sequence of keystrokes, I press one key, then press the next key in the sequence before the previous key is fully released. In other words, when typing the word "key," I hit "k", and as the key is coming up, I'm already pressing "e" down. Obviously, there is no problem with this on non-touch keyboards, since both keys have independent action (and so long as you are not hitting the keys simultaneously).

But what happens when you have one giant key? I feel that the typing speed will be limited because the user will have to wait until the entire screen releases before hitting the screen again. I realize that this is matter of fractions of seconds, but fractions of seconds make a lot of difference for fast twitch activities like this.

It would be sweet if the screen could recognize when you are typing very fast, and demphasize or disable the click necessity, so that you can be overlapping your key-presses.

Any thoughts?

liquidsense said:
The clicking/moving screen is novel and sounds very interesting (could be revolutionary), but will it really work for fast typers?

On any regular qwerty keyboard, for a sequence of keystrokes, I press one key, then press the next key in the sequence before the previous key is fully released. In other words, when typing the word "key," I hit "k", and as the key is coming up, I'm already pressing "e" down. Obviously, there is no problem with this on non-touch keyboards, since both keys have independent action (and so long as you are not hitting the keys simultaneously).

But what happens when you have one giant key? I feel that the typing speed will be limited because the user will have to wait until the entire screen releases before hitting the screen again. I realize that this is matter of fractions of seconds, but fractions of seconds make a lot of difference for fast twitch activities like this.

It would be sweet if the screen could recognize when you are typing very fast, and demphasize or disable the click necessity, so that you can be overlapping your key-presses.

Any thoughts?

I'm seriously not trying to be rude. I promise. But you don't think you're the only one who has thought of this do you? Do you seriously think this wasn't taken into consideration when the device was being engineered? I won't elaborate, but c'mon people.

tcp5011 said:
:buddies: Thanks CX! Will we have any problems seeing the Storm in direct sunlight? If you can't answer/hint that, it's cool!
Current BB's have polarized lenses to help you see the screen in sunlight. I know this because if I'm wearing polarized sunglasses and tilt the device sideways the screen appears to go black. Originally I thought this was just the LCD, but someone told me that their replacement case from cnn.cn doesn't do that anymore. I can't see why this device would be any different.

FWIW, my Curve is a 9/10 for viewing in sunlight, and my Voyager was maybe a 2/10. I don't think it's a touchscreen thing, I think it's an LG thing.

Crucial_Xtreme said:
I'm seriously not trying to be rude. I promise. But you don't think you're the only one who has thought of this do you? Do you seriously think this wasn't taken into consideration when the device was being engineered? I won't elaborate, but c'mon people.

We've seen a lot of touch screen devices released that don't take things like this into account.

True, this is RIM. But, even the best screw things up sometimes.

We're not all insiders, and we aren't all blind followers. This is a legitimate concern to people who don't have access to the device. Frankly, it's the main concern for serious Blackberry users.

Crucial_Xtreme said:
liquidsense said:

Any thoughts?
Wow. You are a dunce. Did I ever write or even imply that "I seriously thought this wasn't taken into consideration when the device was being engineered"? Did I somehow imply that I was the "only one" to question how the screen will work? I posted a question for people more knowledgeable than me to give me some insight as to how the button/screen interface will work out considering its one-button limitation.

And yet, you post a most useless blurb about nothing. Man, you're an idiot.

mick4394 said:
We've seen a lot of touch screen devices released that don't take things like this into account.

True, this is RIM. But, even the best screw things up sometimes.

We're not all insiders, and we aren't all blind followers. This is a legitimate concern to people who don't have access to the device. Frankly, it's the main concern for serious Blackberry users.

I know nothing about the iphone, but I read somewhere the other day that the iphone also had a similar issue that required an update to fix. In particular, I read that simultaneous key pressing when typing was added later through updates.

As I think is obvious, there can't be simultaneous button presses on a single large key, but only simultaneous touches (or a press and a touch). I wonder how this will be addressed?

liquidsense said:
Wow. You are a dunce. Did I ever write or even imply that "I seriously thought this wasn't taken into consideration when the device was being engineered"? Did I somehow imply that I was the "only one" to question how the screen will work? I posted a question for people more knowledgeable than me to give me some insight as to how the button/screen interface will work out considering its one-button limitation.

Flame me all you want. You say you didn't imply this wasn't taken into consideration right? Well if that's true then why do you feel typing speed limited? And I quote--> But what happens when you have one giant key? I feel that the typing speed will be limited because the user will have to wait until the entire screen releases before hitting the screen again. I realize that this is matter of fractions of seconds, but fractions of seconds make a lot of difference for fast twitch activities like this."

And you're asking for insight? Nobody on here knows how the Storm will function in this regard. So you're asking for insight about another device in other words. At the same time making assumptions about something you have no clue about. But yeah man, I'm an idiot. Thanks, you have a nice day.

Edit: How do you know theres a ONE BUTTON limitation?

liquidsense said:

I think you are missing the point. Crucial has been using this device for a while and he would be the only one of us to know if it can handle fast typers. BB are known for their typing interface, I doubt they would let this phone change their reputation.

liquidsense said:
I know nothing about the iphone, but I read somewhere the other day that the iphone also had a similar issue that required an update to fix. In particular, I read that simultaneous key pressing when typing was added later through updates.

As I think is obvious, there can't be simultaneous button presses on a single large key, but only simultaneous touches (or a press and a touch). I wonder how this will be addressed?
If I'm reading the RIM patent application correctly, it's not a single large button. I don't think a lot of weight can be put on Brew Ninja and BGR's limited opinions. Just wait until the phone comes out.

BigVDawgy said:
Does the term hybrid refer to just the radios between the two devices or is there more?

It definitely refers to the radios. From what I've been told everybody is wrong about exactly whats inside the storm and what networks it can be used on. It's definitely a hybrid phone, but surely it's not only on the thunder and not the storm.

When I buy the blackberry storm, is it mandatory to have a data plan along with it? Or can I purchase and use the phone with just a regular nation-wide minutes plan?

AdamB said:
I think you are missing the point. Crucial has been using this device for a while and he would be the only one of us to know if it can handle fast typers. BB are known for their typing interface, I doubt they would let this phone change their reputation.

Understood. Frankly, I have no idea who Crucial is (nor did I know he has been using the Storm). I'm a huge BB fan, and am hopping over to Verizon (from ATT) as soon as it comes out to snag one. I don't care what shortcomings it may or may not have. I'm that enraptured by RIM products.

I think my post came off wrong. At no point was I implying that the finished product would be flawed in this way. I was honestly wondering how RIM would address my "perceived issue," which was based on the limited facts that I have (i.e., that it has one button). Obviously the "one button" thing was wrong....and that's precisely why I asked in the first place - to learn. Ya'll gotta admit that Curcial jumped down my throat and came off as pretty smug with his useless response.

That notwithstanding, I'll be more careful when i post next time. Thanks you others for the helpful responses.

Stop-N-Go said:
It definitely refers to the radios. From what I've been told everybody is wrong about exactly whats inside the storm and what networks it can be used on. It's definitely a hybrid phone, but surely it's not only on the thunder and not the storm.

perhaps hybrid device does indeed mean wifi also.

either that or like was speculated at some point that it has LTE built in for future updates

xbebexdulcex said:
When I buy the blackberry storm, is it mandatory to have a data plan along with it? Or can I purchase and use the phone with just a regular nation-wide minutes plan?

i am not going to guarantee that others wont jump down your throat for this. I'll be nice... have you even looked around this forum at all? have you looked at other blackberrys? EVERY verizon blackberry device REQUIRES data plan. NO EXCEPTIONS.

gmcjimmyguy said:
i am not going to guarantee that others wont jump down your throat for this. I'll be nice... have you even looked around this forum at all? have you looked at other blackberrys? EVERY verizon blackberry device REQUIRES data plan. NO EXCEPTIONS.

I am not a guy who tells people to search, but when you have a topic at the top of this very forum STICKIED that says PDAS NEED A DATA PLAN STOP ASKING, that's what butters my toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back