Ad Above Message List

WheelieBoot

ToTW Winner
HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
TracFone/VZ
Device(s)
LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
I've never used anything with Bluetooth except a Bluetooth headset.

I would like to stream music off of my cellphone. I wonder is it possible to listen to music from the internet on my phone using WiFi (online radio station streaming) and send it to a Bluetooth capable radio or speaker?

I reasoned that if I can use a Bluetooth earpiece or headset with my cellphones, I should be able to hook up the cellphone to a radio that can do Bluetooth.

I don't have the BT radio or speaker yet, and thought I'd ask before buying one.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using HoFo mobile app

I have an LG sound bar that I got for my TV.
But it has Bluetooth and I often send the the music or podcasts that I'm listening to on my phone to the sound bar.

Once I have paired the various phones to the sound bar all I have to do is turn on Bluetooth on the phone and it turns on the sound bar and whatever I am listening to is playing through the sound bar.

I would like to stream music off of my cellphone. I wonder is it possible to listen to music from the internet on my phone using WiFi (online radio station streaming) and send it to a Bluetooth capable radio or speaker?

I reasoned that if I can use a Bluetooth earpiece or headset with my cellphones, I should be able to hook up the cellphone to a radio that can do Bluetooth.

I don't have the BT radio or speaker yet, and thought I'd ask before buying one.

Sent from my Powerfully Majestic Moto G Power

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
Well you've got the answer now.

I should add that I also have a little Bluetooth speaker and I have paired it with my phone but the sound from it is disappointing.
But it's only disappointing because it's a cheap piece of junk.

Sounds excellent through my sound bar.
I just realized I should have put this over in the Bluetooth forum. Oops...

Sent from my U307AS using HoFo mobile app

Thanks for answering Snowywhite. It sounds like it might work. I was thinking if I got a BT capable radio, if the BT didn't work how I wanted at least the radio might.

I'd like to have a retro looking radio I could stream oldies through. Silly maybe but just a nice touch I thought.
I have an LG sound bar that I got for my TV.
But it has Bluetooth and I often send the the music or podcasts that I'm listening to on my phone to the sound bar.

Once I have paired the various phones to the sound bar all I have to do is turn on Bluetooth on the phone and it turns on the sound bar and whatever I am listening to is playing through the sound bar.

Yes, I thought a small cheap BT speaker would be bad or tinny sounding but maybe a slightly bigger radio would work.

Thank you for replying.

Well you've got the answer now.

I should add that I also have a little Bluetooth speaker and I have paired it with my phone but the sound from it is disappointing.
Sounds excellent through my sound bar.

When you pair the phone BT with a BT speaker it will play any source of sound on the phone, including streamed sound from the Internet.

Yes it should work out fine.
I like using the sound bar when I'm in the kitchen cooking and I don't have to bring my phone to the kitchen while I'm cooking and worry about the phone.
Especially useful when I'm listening to podcasts.

The Bluetooth range is very good from my phone.

That cheapo little Bluetooth speaker I have I got it from someone on Freecycle.
I think that I figured out why they were giving it away
Yes, I thought a small cheap BT speaker would be bad or tinny sounding but maybe a slightly bigger radio would work.

Thank you for replying.

That all gets into the sound quality of amplifiers and speakers. Something that is only 2-4 audio Watts with small speakers isn't going to sound good.

When you pair the phone BT with a BT speaker it will play any source of sound on the phone, including streamed sound from the Internet.
Thanks for the good info. I have never tried it before so figured I had better ask before buying anything really nice.

I was looking at a $16 BT capable radio with a small speaker but it has other uses like shortwave bands as well as am/fm, a sd card slot, and the mention of Bluetooth was what got me to thinking about streaming from phone to radio.

Yes it should work out fine.
I like using the sound bar when I'm in the kitchen cooking and I don't have to bring my phone to the kitchen while I'm cooking and worry about the phone.
Especially useful when I'm listening to podcasts.

The Bluetooth range is very good from my phone.

That cheapo little Bluetooth speaker I have I got it from someone on Freecycle.
I think that I figured out why they were giving it away

Things free to cheap usually you get what you pay for. The $16 radio that first got me to thinking about streaming via BT was at least food for thought.

Since then I've seen a few nicer radios capable of streaming with BT but I was afraid that it would only be able to play music stored on the phone.

I don't have any music on my phone, i just listen to YouTube music or radio stations over WiFi.

The dedicated speakers that are upscale probably sound way better than what I've been looking at. Usually I use a headset but I might occasionally like to stream through speakers that sound better than my cellphones.

Thank you for verifying that it's doable.

That all gets into the sound quality of amplifiers and speakers. Something that is only 2-4 audio Watts with small speakers isn't going to sound good.
I found a YouTube video about converting a radio to stream with BT by using a dongle plugged into its jacks. It sounded good on the video but I would be wary that there could be a hum or interference in the audio done that way on cheaper radios.

Well, my current radios are Grundig G5 and G3 portables so a dongle wouldn't make much sense for those anyway.

Thanks for the insights.

I've been doing some light research on the "new" formats since creating this thread. It can be very frustrating.

I was born in the age of vinyl records, grew up in the age of 8 track tapes and cassette tapes, and CDs are still suspect to me.

MP3 players-- never had one. Well, until I got these two new radios that have USB drive ports & SD card slots. I guess the USB port counts as an mp3 player, but I've never had a USB thumb drive so I haven't tested that port, only the SD/TF card slots.

The radios I got are the Supersonic sc-1080bt and the Retekess HR-11S emergency radio.

Both run on BL-5C rechargable cellphone type batteries.

The Retekess has a hand crank to charge it and a small solar panel, as well as a flashlight. It has AM/FM/SW (shortwave) bands. It doesn't have a NOAA weather band. It has a digital screen display with backlight, a keypad for tuning and volume, memory, clock, calendar. USB/SD ports, and BT. It records from the radio or microphone to the USB/SD, but not from Bluetooth to USB or SD. It has a headphone jack.

The Supersonic has analog style display AM/FM/SW with knob tuning & volume. It has Bluetooth, USB and SD playback. It doesn't have a headphone jack.

Of the two radios, (photos included in post) the Supersonic gets the best FM reception where I am, far from the city in the hills. I get almost no AM and no SW reception in my current location (can't have outdoor antennas).

On the reviews I've seen, both radios get good reception in the city particularly east of the mountains. I'm on the west coast.

Both radios do very well at streaming Bluetooth, which is primarily what I got them for.

Now that I've learned about that, I started researching ways to record from BT to SD, and that isn't so easy.

Not many radios record in that format, not even if they have CD players or old fashioned tape players. They may record from tape to USB or SD, but not from BT to SD.

I've been browsing a lot of radios on Amazon and Walmart and I'm beginning to realize that radios have changed a lot.

I expected with the advent of miniaturized electronics and all of the things cellphones can do, that radios would become more high quality and that's not always the case, partly because a lot of people listen on cellphones now instead of old fashioned radios.

Tape players are anachronistic so when new boomboxes include one, the quality is often cheap. A lot of reviews mention that the tapes get damaged by the transport or don't sound very good.

But since I don't need a tape player anymore, all that concerns me is that the unit have Bluetooth, USB, SD, a headphone jack, and ideally a 3.5mm Auxiliary jack.

I have three or four boombox possibilities I've narrowed down for recording BT to SD, and the rest are all lacking something.

Then I stumbled across a device called an audio or music digitizer. It records from a source device to SD or USB through patch cables and has a headset jack to monitor the sound. It's cheaper than the boomboxes that can record to digital format. (photo included in post, it has SD & USB slots on it as well as a variety of jacks and a hand controller).

Using that I should be able to record from a cellphone or radio to SD and then play it on any SD player. It doesn't record in very high quality format, not for under $30, but none of the boomboxes I'm looking at do either ($100 or less).

People who got boomboxes to transfer their old tape collection to digital/USB format sometimes found the thing chewed up their tapes.

They also make digitizers that look like a personal tape player that transfers the tapes to USB and SD. One of those might have worked better for them.

I'm still trying to get the hang of the "new" tech so I can have a music collection that fits into a tiny case compared to the space CDs, tapes, or records used to take up.

I don't have a computer anymore, just a Fire Tab 7 and cellphones. While I could store the music directly on a cell phone or tablet, I don't want to keep my eggs all in one basket. I 'd like to treat the SD cards sort of like little floppy discs or "micro" CDs and label what's on them, playing them in whichever player or speaker I feel like using.

That way I can have a retro radio beside the bed for night use, and a variety of other radios or devices for day use.

I'm sure I'm missing the point of some of it by trying to equate the usage with old fashioned media modes or devices but I want it to feel familiar to me.

Just because an SD card can hold a jillion gigabytes of data doesn't mean I have to stuff it full of hundreds of albums or thousands of songs.

I intend to get low rated storage cards, 4gb to 8gb SD cards and organize the music into different types. Then I will know what's on each card and don't have to suffer through long lists of folders full of files to forward to what I want.

It can be the same for audio books.

516dlB%2B6EcL._AC_SY580_.jpegf95d9c88-a4d0-4675-9446-abbff8c75498_1.8513e72a8b7071045b96562b0ef85ec9.jpeg51HxnHODtsL.jpg

Sent from my LGL423DL using HoFo mobile app

I'm not a great fan of using Bluetooth. But I love to use my headphones for listening songs. I'm mostly interested in Podcast music. This enjoyed me a lot. Being a premium member, I recently subscribed for the best podcasthowto.com/freakonomics - Freakonomics podcast episodes. It was the best selling books in 2005 'Freakonomics' The shows are hosted by 2 person Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt. I enjoyed them a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use Bluetooth headphones, just something else to recharge, but, but I do like occasionally streaming music or old radio shows from WiFi through my cellphone and from there, using Bluetooth to port the sound through one of my radios.

I have a small variety of radios I can do Bluetooth through. One died on me (the volume pot is the culprit) so I use it to charge batteries now, but I have a little Retekess emergency radio that can play using Bluetooth, an ION ISP113s radio that has Bluetooth, an SD card slot, a USB port, a tape deck (I don't play tapes), AM-FM and Shortwave. Plus two 40 year old Sanyo boomboxes dating back to 1979 and 1981. I can put Bluetooth adapters in their cassette decks and stream music through the speakers and headphones. The adapter looks like a cassette. Those are very cheap if you know where to look.

Some people might say why bother with an old boombox to get a Bluetooth connection, just cut out the middle man and stream directly from cellphone to headset. The point is, I like radios and the old boomboxes have more power than a cellphone. My headsets i use with those are big muffs, or "cans" and sound much better powered through the boombox headphone jacks.

I also have some digital Grundig radios (G3 and G5) but they don't do Bluetooth. They do AM-FM shortwave, and SSB (single side band, can monitor ham radio communication). I used to have them hooked to loop antennas for amazing reception but here, no outdoors loops so they're glorified FM tuners. That's why I now stream via the phone using Bluetooth.

The photo is my Sanyo M9930 wayback machine from 1979. It's about a foot and a half long. IMG_sanyoM9930-10.jpeg

Back