Can the newest iPhone be used on MVNO?

Yankees65

HoFo Member
I hear that one can only buy iPhone 15 if on a major carrier. So what about a mvno, where can one buy an iPhone 15 to use on say US Mobile or Verizon prepaid?

Thanks

I am pretty sure you mean the iPhone 14.

There isn’t a requirement to be on a postpaid carrier to buy from an Apple Store if you are paying full price up front. The requirement only applies if you are financing the phone through the Apple Card, Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, or a carrier based installment plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are other retailers that will sell phones at a reduced price without requiring activation at point of purchase.

But beware, if it says "activate later" the phone might automatically get locked to the first participating carrier it activates on

sometimes with disastrous consequences that none if the parties can fix.

So, confirm every which way get it in writing you are buying an UNLOCKED device, and have different provider SIMs ready to go, cheap MVNOs on different networks

so you can test / verify it is actually unlocked before leaving the store.

Even Apple itself makes mistakes, and will be unable to help.

So, confirm every which way get it in writing you are buying an UNLOCKED device, and have different provider SIMs ready to go, cheap MVNOs on different networks

so you can test / verify it is actually unlocked before leaving the store.

Even Apple itself makes mistakes, and will be unable to help.
OP presumably is asking about a device that is eSIM only, which having the SIMs ready to go is not possible to do before leaving the store.

This is why I don't suggest 3rd party retailers that do multiple carrier sales, like BestBuy or Walmart. The best route really is to buy direct from Apple.

Yes, even Apple makes mistakes but Apple tends to be able to do more if the sale was through them specifically.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I would never buy an eSIM only device.

At least not until pSIMs are as outdated as pagers

Can iPhone 15 be used on MVNO?

I would never buy an eSIM only device.

At least not until pSIMs are as outdated as pagers

That pretty much leaves apple out unless you decide to go with the iPhone 13 or below. I’m pretty sure the iPhone 15 will be eSIM only.

But Apple now requires you to be with a major carrier. I'm using on MVNO. So how can I buy the 15? Thanks

But Apple now requires you to be with a major carrier. I'm using on MVNO. So how can I buy the 15? Thanks

No they don’t. They only require a major carrier if you’re financing it. If you buy full price upfront, it is “unlocked” at time of purchase and can be used on any MVNO that offers esim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they don’t. They only require a major carrier if you’re financing it. If you buy full price upfront, it is “unlocked” at time of purchase and can be used on any MVNO that offers esim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its the specific interest free Apple card financing that will now require activation in store, you can still finance just not via one particular method that was popular people buying unlocked devices from apple.

its the specific interest free Apple card financing that will now require activation in store, you can still finance just not via one particular method that was popular people buying unlocked devices from apple.

Ok, so your saying no more buying unlocked via 24 month 0% apple card financing. Does Apple accept paypal? Thanks

Ok, so your saying no more buying unlocked via 24 month 0% apple card financing. Does Apple accept paypal? Thanks

According to the apple website, yes. I'm actually surprised.

PP Credit (via Synchrony) gives 0% for six months

sometimes a full year if you commit to monthly payments.

They gave me a $12K credit line back in the days when I had no credit report at all, based solely on my volume through eBay and good history just with them.

I believe iphones bought from apple can even be used on Infinity & Spectrum Mobile.

The exact terms on the website state:

"Choose to connect to AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon. We’ll help you prepare your new iPhone for activation."

As far as I can tell, you only have to have a line with one of those carriers. It's not clear if a prepaid line would qualify. But it is clear that you can immediately take the device somewhere else:

"You’ll need to select AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon as your carrier when you check out. An iPhone purchased with ACMI is always unlocked, so you can switch carriers at any time. "

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211204

If activation with limited options is required, then there is a carrier subsidy / kickback to Apple.

They might let you get on a no-strings plan you can cancel after the first month, and then use it on any service provider, any plan you like

The carrier options are only postpaid. There should be an option not tied to carrier that you can activate with carriers that support iPhone e sims. Hopefully no early imei validation failures.

The carrier options are only postpaid. There should be an option not tied to carrier that you can activate with carriers that support iPhone e sims.

No difference postpaid or pre, so long as there is no contract you can cancel after the first month.

And assuming you did not accept a subsidy based on future plan credits, lots of sneaky stuff in this biz.

> Hopefully no early imei validation failures

wut?

No difference postpaid or pre, so long as there is no contract you can cancel after the first month.

And assuming you did not accept a subsidy based on future plan credits, lots of sneaky stuff in this biz.

> Hopefully no early imei validation failures

wut?

I didn’t realize that apple had changed their carrier options. So you are saying I could buy the att variant using my ATT prepaid credentials and buy it that way? Just not using att installments? That is a big change from previous years.

The exact terms on the website state:

"Choose to connect to AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon. We’ll help you prepare your new iPhone for activation."

As far as I can tell, you only have to have a line with one of those carriers. It's not clear if a prepaid line would qualify. But it is clear that you can immediately take the device somewhere else:

"You’ll need to select AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon as your carrier when you check out. An iPhone purchased with ACMI is always unlocked, so you can switch carriers at any time. "

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211204

Though signing up with a carrier just to get apple installments is a pricey way to go. Activation fees. Likely month plan.

Back