Carrier Agnostic SIM Cards

Jim1348

What are the choices of carrier agnostic SIM cards these days?

Are there some that will allow one SIM (physical or E-SIM) to work on all three networks, AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon?

A SIM generally is tied to a single network. While some carriers offer SIMs from more than one network (such as US. Mobile, Tracfone or RedPocket) the SIM itself will use a particular network. For those that need to use more than one network, a device with a dual SIM, is probably the way to go.

I don't know of a physical SIM that can work with all three major US networks. An eSIM is just a special "storage area" in a phone. So you can download the eSIM info to it from any provider that supports eSIM.

There are certainly roaming sim/esim that have agreements with the big3... but how much are you willing to pay?

(Some even roaming with less common rural carriers like GCI alaska

Last edited:
Apple simcards used to work with numerous international carriers for roaming data purchases, but that was years ago. I don't know if they are even still available from Apple. Used to cost $5 each, and they also came installed in cellular iPads for a while. They have probably been outdated by esims by now however.

SIMs cannot be carrier agnostic, not how it works.

It must be tied to a given provider, whose bill you pay.

That provider can contract with whatever carriers, sometimes even allowing "live" handover switching based on whose data signal is stronger in that location.

Although this last is "technically" possible, these days in the USA not implemented widely enough to be practical for most people. For historical examples see Google Fi

and DISH rainbow SIM for about-to-go bankrupt vaporware.

And never has there been, nor IMO will there ever be such between all three main carriers, more than between a couple carriers.

International roaming providers sometimes offer choice of back-end carrier, but I believe only at sign-up, no auto-switching.

Since visitors' phones are not VZW compatible, those companies stick to AT&T or TMO.

see https://esimdb.com

Back