Data activity every night at 1:30'ish

ddiokno

New member
HoFo Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
182
Location
NC
Carrier(s)
Sprint
Device(s)
iPhone 5
Greetings all,
I starting noticing something strange happening in my data accounting in OLAM. Every night, at about 1:30, there is roughly 30-35MB of data usage (without fail, it happens every night). This is on a Samsung Blackjack. No software has been installed. The phone is configured to get email, but it is set to do it at 15 minute intervals.

Here is what it shows in OLAM:
09/18 01:21 AM Internet/MEdia Net Sent 34338KB

An thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
david
 
ddiokno said:
Greetings all,
I starting noticing something strange happening


No worries, it's only big brother scanning your house for valuables....... :)

OK.....OK..... enough of my bad jokes. I noticed a similiar activity on mine as well, however I did'nt keep it long enough to find out what it was. Other than that mine worked just fine. I only got rid of it because I prefer a BlackBerry.
 
well are you using WM6 or WM5? I'm wondering if you accidentally enabled "big brother mode" or something in WM6. Just like all of Microsoft's latest applications WM6 also has the "Customer Experience Imporvement Program" - It just monitors what you do then sends that info to Microsoft if you OPT-IN. It's not on by default but it does ask you once you've install some WM6. The setting itself is on the phone and can be turned off. Maybe that plus Windows Update (WM6 phones) is what's checking.

pretty weird tho, my data usage doesn't show that. If you are on WM5 i'm totally clueless then.
 
Yes, definitely very strange. It is WM5... I'll have to see if there is is possibly anything else that might be triggering this data being sent, not to mention I don't want ATT thinking I am abusing the unlimited data.
Thanks,
david

SHoTTa35 said:
well are you using WM6 or WM5? I'm wondering if you accidentally enabled "big brother mode" or something in WM6. Just like all of Microsoft's latest applications WM6 also has the "Customer Experience Imporvement Program" - It just monitors what you do then sends that info to Microsoft if you OPT-IN. It's not on by default but it does ask you once you've install some WM6. The setting itself is on the phone and can be turned off. Maybe that plus Windows Update (WM6 phones) is what's checking.

pretty weird tho, my data usage doesn't show that. If you are on WM5 i'm totally clueless then.
 
I posted a thread on this a month or so ago, but didn't get many responses. I have the exact same problem -- my WM6 BlackJack is using tons of data between 1 and 2 AM. Prior to installing WM6, my bill usually had around 100MB of data usage. After installing WM6, I am "using" around 2GB/month. I don't think the phone is actually transmitting this much data, given that I live in an EDGE area and I have seen "usage" posted as 142MB at 1:55am and then 110MB at 1:59am. There is no way it could transmit that much data in 4 minutes.

Anyway, I'm very curious as to if you are on WM6 or WM5. By the way, I have disabled the "Customer Experience Program" -- at least is shows that I have... Any registry hack to ensure this is off?
 
do you live with anyone? try putting a password on it and see if it continues.
 
I'm on WM5... before bed tonight, I'll check to see if all programs are stopped...

MarkK said:
I posted a thread on this a month or so ago, but didn't get many responses. I have the exact same problem -- my WM6 BlackJack is using tons of data between 1 and 2 AM. Prior to installing WM6, my bill usually had around 100MB of data usage. After installing WM6, I am "using" around 2GB/month. I don't think the phone is actually transmitting this much data, given that I live in an EDGE area and I have seen "usage" posted as 142MB at 1:55am and then 110MB at 1:59am. There is no way it could transmit that much data in 4 minutes.

Anyway, I'm very curious as to if you are on WM6 or WM5. By the way, I have disabled the "Customer Experience Program" -- at least is shows that I have... Any registry hack to ensure this is off?
 
It's my wife's phone, and she only uses it for email and occasional Internet (but not daily)...

steva11 said:
do you live with anyone? try putting a password on it and see if it continues.
 
MarkK said:
I posted a thread on this a month or so ago, but didn't get many responses. I have the exact same problem -- my WM6 BlackJack is using tons of data between 1 and 2 AM. Prior to installing WM6, my bill usually had around 100MB of data usage. After installing WM6, I am "using" around 2GB/month. I don't think the phone is actually transmitting this much data, given that I live in an EDGE area and I have seen "usage" posted as 142MB at 1:55am and then 110MB at 1:59am. There is no way it could transmit that much data in 4 minutes.

Anyway, I'm very curious as to if you are on WM6 or WM5. By the way, I have disabled the "Customer Experience Program" -- at least is shows that I have... Any registry hack to ensure this is off?

Well that was just a gross exaggeration on my part. I'm sure even if you opt in it doesn't send that much data as who has that much per night? I'm sure MS would minimize the actual ammount of data to be sent to codes that they can figure out.

as you said tho, must just be something else because at 110MB i don't even think i can do that on my 3G enabled blackjack in 4mins. Also you can probably install SPB GRPS Monitor (demo) and just see if your phone is actually sending that much data out every night.
 
it could be receiving an update or something. but that shouldn't happen every night.
 
In OLAM all data is shown as Sent regardless of the direction. Most data is received in almost all instances. You send a few bytes requesting something and the data is then sent from the server. One would have to look on the phone to see the sent versus received totals.
 
Back
Top