Disappearing 5G UC coverage

mwdewey

I noticed while looking at T-Mobile's coverage maps this morning that several sites that used to show 5G UC coverage now no longer show it. Some of these sites I am familiar with in my area and I have never seen the 5G UC icon show up on my phone when near those sites, even though the coverage has been shown for months, which made me question whether or not the service had ever actually been turned on at those sites or not. I guess it wasn't, so it has now been removed from the coverage maps. Interesting, this is the first time I have seen T-Mobile remove coverage of any type from their maps, other than just a fine-tuning once in a while. The image is one example.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 5.16.54 AM.png

I've seen them remove coverage ... often. In fact I have an open complaint to the CPUC in which T-Mobile 'in writing' to the CPUC claims that an address that I've given them is '4G LTE' and no 5G. When I open the map, it is 'Partner 2G/3G'
A year few years back it was 2g/3g/4G LTE (5 bars 2G), then all 4G LTE with some 5G around it. Then 4G LTE with dead spots
Then 4G LTE with roaming. Now ... roaming with some 4G LTE spots.

OP, I understand your frustration, but coverage and/or data speeds have never been guaranteed with any carrier at any time, especially when you are roaming (including domestic and international). Often times, the carriers don't own the local towers/networks and rely on roaming agreements to allow coverage. I do hope that you get improved coverage soon, just don't hold your breath. Never forget that all cellular coverage maps have microprint that confirms this.

OP, I understand your frustration, but coverage and/or data speeds have never been guaranteed with any carrier at any time, especially when you are roaming (including domestic and international). Often times, the carriers don't own the local towers/networks and rely on roaming agreements to allow coverage. I do hope that you get improved coverage soon, just don't hold your breath. Never forget that all cellular coverage maps have microprint that confirms this.
I completely understand all that. The site in my graphic is a site that contains only Verizon and T-Mobile equipment, so roaming is not involved here. 6 months ago T-Mobile's coverage maps started showing 5G UC coverage as available at the site, but it never actually happened and never showed up on my phone while driving by the site. I have seen T-Mobile trucks at the site on several occasions working on the radios. But now the indication of 5G UC is gone on the coverage maps, which I find odd. They did not reduce coverage from this site, the 5G UC never really existed in the first place. Now I have to assume that T-Mobile decided not to put 5G UC on this site and simply removed the indication on their coverage maps so they would not be seen as promising service that was not really there. I know this sounds off when we're talking about the king of over-promising on coverage on their maps. I just saw another T-Mobile truck at the tower yesterday, so maybe they are still working on something.

Sounds.almost like the at&t deployment near me. At&t (only carrier on the tower), took down and replaced all panels (antenna) in January. Their coverage map show me as 5g+ (1700' from their tower), but no 5g+ to be found. 1 1/2 miles away, At&t did the next tower (both are SoCal Edison 220kV towers), and now it has 5g+.
A check with At&t at their store shows its 4G.LTE and no plans to update.
I'm sure that they will update in another year or 2. For now, 10Mbps on At&t work phone is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back