Does Verizon use Charter/Spectrum band 48 licenses in some markets?

mpaque

Carrier(s)
Verizon
Started seeing band 48 this week in my market. The curious part is that I don’t believe Verizon won any PAL licenses in my area and they were instead purchased by Charter Spectrum. Is Verizon able to use those licenses in some markets? Spectrum pushes spectrum mobile pretty hard in my market. Columbia South Carolina, btw. Lexington and Richland counties.

Not all CBRS licenses were sold. Some were left for general use by anyone. CBRS is 150 MHz only 70 MHz was sold. Also anyone can use anyone else's licensed CBRS without permission as long as the owner is not currently using it. Also Spectrum Mobile uses Verizon's network. There are only a few test markets where Spectrum is actually using CBRS to offload data so they can reduce the costs they pay to Verizon. This should be expanded in 2023.

Started seeing band 48 this week in my market. The curious part is that I don’t believe Verizon won any PAL licenses in my area and they were instead purchased by Charter Spectrum. Is Verizon able to use those licenses in some markets? Spectrum pushes spectrum mobile pretty hard in my market. Columbia South Carolina, btw. Lexington and Richland counties.

Why would a Verizon customer want to use any licenses from Spectrum? Their network for mobile is absolutely garbage with poor quality using 85% their crappy Wi-Fi run on their existing cable plant not a high quality network. Only 15% of the time would a Spectrum Mobile customer be on Verizon and with very aggressive speed throttling and deprioritization. CBRS can be used to supplement coverage on bands to boost speeds but are poor on coverage.

Charter Spectrum Mobile is total garbage. If Verizon started to downgrade their network with Charter’s licenses on Charters network they would lose even more customers than the existing postpaid customers they already lost. Customers won’t stand for that. In NYC I do not run on anything owned by Spectrum and I sincerely doubt they do anywhere in their markets. I don’t know why people are fascinated with Charter Spectrum. I do understand why customers would be willing to try them if they had existing cable services with them but even those are really poor. Yes the prices seem lower and they claim Verizon but it really is not as it’s only using Verizon a few times with much worse service levels.

Why would a Verizon customer want to use any licenses from Spectrum? Their network for mobile is absolutely garbage with poor quality using 85% their crappy Wi-Fi run on their existing cable plant not a high quality network. Only 15% of the time would a Spectrum Mobile customer be on Verizon and with very aggressive speed throttling and deprioritization. CBRS can be used to supplement coverage on bands to boost speeds but are poor on coverage.

Charter Spectrum Mobile is total garbage. If Verizon started to downgrade their network with Charter’s licenses on Charters network they would lose even more customers than the existing postpaid customers they already lost. Customers won’t stand for that. In NYC I do not run on anything owned by Spectrum and I sincerely doubt they do anywhere in their markets. I don’t know why people are fascinated with Charter Spectrum. I do understand why customers would be willing to try them if they had existing cable services with them but even those are really poor. Yes the prices seem lower and they claim Verizon but it really is not as it’s only using Verizon a few times with much worse service levels.

This is a complete lie and made up information. I have 2 spectrum mobile lines and can use the verizon network anytime I want, it does not connect to any Wi-Fi connections unless I manually connect it to them. I even get unlimited c band and mmWave access. I’m not sure where you got your information from, my guess is you made it up because again, you have a gripe because someone in a store somewhere was mean to you once in your life.

Anyways, to answer the op charter and comcast (though I believe most of it is charter owned) own a decent chunk of CBRS spectrum they are planning on deploying in high population areas. They made the announcement with verizon that their 5G network will be “compatible” with Verizon’s. I would not be surprised if part of Verizon’s mvno agreement with charter includes verizon having access to charters CBRS spectrum. Though the odds are the b48 you are seeing is unlicensed, I don’t believe charter has publicly deployed anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a complete lie and made up information. I have 2 spectrum mobile lines and can use the verizon network anytime I want, it does not connect to any Wi-Fi connections unless I manually connect it to them. I even get unlimited c band and mmWave access. I’m not sure where you got your information from, my guess is you made it up because again, you have a gripe because someone in a store somewhere was mean to you once in your life.

Anyways, to answer the op charter and comcast (though I believe most of it is charter owned) own a decent chunk of CBRS spectrum they are planning on deploying in high population areas. They made the announcement with verizon that their 5G network will be “compatible” with Verizon’s. I would not be surprised if part of Verizon’s mvno agreement with charter includes verizon having access to charters CBRS spectrum. Though the odds are the b48 you are seeing is unlicensed, I don’t believe charter has publicly deployed anything yet.

I do not lie. My source is https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/2023-charter-will-deploying-wi-fi-6e-6-ghz-band-opening-1200-mhz-more-capacity

The person who said it works for Charter and is named in the article.

I do not lie. My source is https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/2...-6e-6-ghz-band-opening-1200-mhz-more-capacity

Rich DiGeronimo is who has said this who works for Charter and his own words is in the article. Using Spectrum Mobile gets you spectrum Mobile bands in addition to Verizon however they fail to stare they only get limited bands on Verizon so Spectrum Mobile customers get limited Verizon service and most of their speed from low quality cable plant Wi-Fi which is slower and less reliable than native Verizon postpaid plans. Spectrum Mobile rating from customers is extremely poor as evidenced in reliable review sites.

Rich DiGeronimo is who has said this who works for Charter and his own words is in the article. Using Spectrum Mobile gets you spectrum Mobile bands in addition to Verizon however they fail to stare they only get limited bands on Verizon so Spectrum Mobile customers get limited Verizon service and most of their speed from low quality cable plant Wi-Fi which is slower and less reliable than native Verizon postpaid plans. Spectrum Mobile rating from customers is extremely poor as evidenced in reliable review sites.

Meant to say limited speeds on Verizon as I don’t know what spectrum bands they offer. The data is definitely throttled and deprioritized as stated by review sites when you consume data on Verizon. Verizon does not sell any MVNO’s prioritized and non throttled data. If they did one day it would cost Charter even more money spent to Verizon. At the beginning of Sprint PCS they used supplemental roaming on Verizon and had to pull it due to roaming costs l. Back then most traffic was voice.

I do not lie. My source is https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/2...-6e-6-ghz-band-opening-1200-mhz-more-capacity

Correct, in the future they would like to offload traffic onto Wi-Fi 6 routers and their own network…..they never once say anywhere they limit your access to Verizon’s network at all, and they don’t force you to connect to the Wi-Fi network at all if you don’t want to. This is said nowhere, you read an article, and filled in the blanks on your own based on your own biased opinion. You can stay on the Verizon network 24/7 if you choose to. They have access to the full Verizon network, C-band, mmWave, LTEiRA roaming, anything Verizon postpaid can connect to, spectrum and xfinity can connect to. You are not limited one bit. There is zero difference between my Verizon postpaid line, and my 2 spectrum lines. Spectrum mobile isn’t some weird Wi-Fi centric carrier, they operate just like any other wireless carrier, they just have access to spectrum/xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots for free.

Meant to say limited speeds on Verizon as I don’t know what spectrum bands they offer. The data is definitely throttled and deprioritized as stated by review sites when you consume data on Verizon. Verizon does not sell any MVNO’s prioritized and non throttled data. If they did one day it would cost Charter even more money spent to Verizon. At the beginning of Sprint PCS they used supplemental roaming on Verizon and had to pull it due to roaming costs l. Back then most traffic was voice.

This again isn’t true, Verizon sells prioritized data plans to mvno partners just fine. U.S. mobile sells unlimited plans with priority data, xfinity has a plan with priority data as well, spectrums unlimited plan is QCI 9 and their by the gig plan is qCI 8. Of course it costs them more money, that’s the whole point of Verizon selling them access to their network, to make money. Verizon, charter and Comcast just negotiated a new deal last year, I’m sure xfinity and charter know exactly how much they are paying, and how much they have to charge to turn a profit, they also don’t have to profit off of mobile at all if they don’t want to. Their cash cow is home internet and tv, mobile is just an add on to that and doesn’t have to be profitable for them to be profitable, much like google fi and google. Google doesn’t need fi to make money, for them to make money.

This again isn’t true, Verizon sells prioritized data plans to mvno partners just fine. U.S. mobile sells unlimited plans with priority data, xfinity has a plan with priority data as well, spectrums unlimited plan is QCI 9 and their by the gig plan is qCI 8. Of course it costs them more money, that’s the whole point of Verizon selling them access to their network, to make money. Verizon, charter and Comcast just negotiated a new deal last year, I’m sure xfinity and charter know exactly how much they are paying, and how much they have to charge to turn a profit, they also don’t have to profit off of mobile at all if they don’t want to. Their cash cow is home internet and tv, mobile is just an add on to that and doesn’t have to be profitable for them to be profitable, much like google fi and google. Google doesn’t need fi to make money, for them to make money.

All Verizon customers postpaid not 100% sure about prepaid, always get priority over MVNO customers. And low cost carriers always offload to Wi-Fi to save from paying roaming fees. After you hit a certain amount of data you get speeds reduced as well. As a consumer of Verizon I would not want any Charter CBRS on Wi-Fi which is on their existing cable plant. They won’t anyways because Verizon would have to pay Charter roaming fees to degrade their own network. Yes Spectrum Mobile is inferior to native Verizon. It does however have a lower pricing structure if you bundle.

All Verizon customers postpaid not 100% sure about prepaid, always get priority over MVNO customers. And low cost carriers always offload to Wi-Fi to save from paying roaming fees. After you hit a certain amount of data you get speeds reduced as well. As a consumer of Verizon I would not want any Charter CBRS on Wi-Fi which is on their existing cable plant. They won’t anyways because Verizon would have to pay Charter roaming fees to degrade their own network. Yes Spectrum Mobile is inferior to native Verizon. It does however have a lower pricing structure if you bundle.

QCI 8 is correct but non native Verizon would be deprioritized over Verizon which is what I meant. Yes you can get a higher QCI but Verizon will get the most priority. It is not equal priority in the QCI 8 group.

I figured there was no way prioritized data would last long if offered due to costs. Apparently you can get same priority for a time period. Verizon used to not do this and only Verizon was prioritized. Apparently till 8/2021 it was higher priority. But when this is offered it’s always cut cause of roaming costs and they offer more at the beginning to get more customers to the network. Carrier native plans don’t lower QCI priority.

That’s an interesting change because one of the huge benefits of Spectrum Mobile when I used it to “trial” Verizon was that you got unmetered UWB (back when it was only mmWave) and that it was QCI8 just like Verizon-native premium data.

Seems it was a perk that was too good to last.

This is just not true. No carrier “offloads traffic” to Wi-Fi, you have the option to use Wi-Fi over whatever network you are connected to, just as you do when you are on a postpaid plan with any carrier.

What do you mean by CBRS Wi-Fi?? CBRS is a cellular band, that Verizon, T-Mobile and at&t also use. Spectrum bought a decent amount of it in the CBRS auction, the rest is unlicensed and even the licensed portion of the band can be used by any carrier, if the license holder is not using it in an area. The CBRS band the original poster is connected to in their area, is likely owned by spectrum, but Verizon is broadcasting on it currently. I’m not even sure you know what you are trying to argue there.

No, spectrum mobile, network wise, is identical to Verizon wireless, they get the exact same coverage and use of the network, again this is false information you are providing. I’d say it works just fine.

f5f72fa09b379283788cfd56b72854ce.png

Last edited:
That’s an interesting change because one of the huge benefits of Spectrum Mobile when I used it to “trial” Verizon was that you got unmetered UWB (back when it was only mmWave) and that it was QCI8 just like Verizon-native premium data.

Seems it was a perk that was too good to last.

The c band and mmWave perk is still there, it’s unmetered and qci 8, lte and nationwide 5G counts towards the cap and is qci 9. You can max out at 720p streaming (4.5 Mbps down) on lte and nationwide, but no streaming cap when on c band or mmWave.

QCI 8 is correct but non native Verizon would be deprioritized over Verizon which is what I meant. Yes you can get a higher QCI but Verizon will get the most priority. It is not equal priority in the QCI 8 group.

I’m not sure you understand what you are saying here lol QCI 8 or QCI 9 is QCI 8 or 9 no matter where you get it from. Verizon plans that are QCI 8 have the same priority as spectrum or xfinity plans that have QCI 8, same goes for QCI 9. Those are the only 2 priority levels Verizon uses for consumer services. There is no “Verizon proper” QCI 8 or 9. QCI 8 is QCI 8.

Now T-Mobile does something like this, where T-Mobile owned metro has a higher priority than say mint, but a lower priority than T-Mobile. This is because T-Mobile (and AT&T) use different QCI values on their network. Verizon though is only 8 or 9, and no matter who you sign up with, including Verizon themselves, 8 is 8 and 9 is 9.

I figured there was no way prioritized data would last long if offered due to costs. Apparently you can get same priority for a time period. Verizon used to not do this and only Verizon was prioritized. Apparently till 8/2021 it was higher priority. But when this is offered it’s always cut cause of roaming costs and they offer more at the beginning to get more customers to the network. Carrier native plans don’t lower QCI priority.

This again isn’t true lol, carrier native plans do lower QCI values lol all 3 carriers offer plans with different priority levels, and different amounts of priority data. Verizon sells plans that are always QCI 9, that are QCI 8 until you hit 50gb then drop to QCI 9, and are unlimited QCI 8. T-Mobile offers a plan that is always deprioritized, that is after 50gb, or is never, AT&T has the same structure. I’m not sure what you are actually trying to argue here lol but your information and rationale is highly incorrect. I’m not trying to pick on you even, but some of this is just flat out wrong.

This again isn’t true lol, carrier native plans do lower QCI values lol all 3 carriers offer plans with different priority levels, and different amounts of priority data. Verizon sells plans that are always QCI 9, that are QCI 8 until you hit 50gb then drop to QCI 9, and are unlimited QCI 8. T-Mobile offers a plan that is always deprioritized, that is after 50gb, or is never, AT&T has the same structure. I’m not sure what you are actually trying to argue here lol but your information and rationale is highly incorrect. I’m not trying to pick on you even, but some of this is just flat out wrong.

I know CBRS is not Wi-Fi. I didn’t notice my error when I typed. CBRS is an amateur radio band that was allowed to be used for cellular. Signal propagation of CBRS is roughly the same as Wi-Fi which is what I meant. High speeds as per what the router can provide up to but these speeds for actual usage will be lower and poor range and poor cable plant services. Charters network including backhaul is not a quality network. As for QCI itself it used to be QCI 8 and was pushed back to QCI 9. One would have to test and confirm with Charter for specifics. It doesn’t mention that Verizon 5G is exempted from QCI 9 at all in that thread I linked to. Of course regular Charter spectrum like band 48 would not be deprioritized on charter soectrun but signal quality including range and the actual service quality would be poor. Wi-Fi calling would be less stable and more dropped calls or pauses in for instance. Same with data transfers as videos would pause more. When you are mobile you likely won’t just be standing by a single Wi-Fi site as well and they aren’t going to put up capable pricey routers and networks all over like real mobile providers. I don’t want to use a hybrid Cable/Wireless provider like Spectrum when one is paying to be with Verizon. Whether it is forced or not on Spectrum, they do claim that only 15% of their mobile network winds up using Verizon. So I am not sure what their enforcement mechanisms are or how they come to these figures but that is what they claim directly from Charter. I still remembering Clearwire promoting WiMAX which failed miserably. Wi-Fi and WiMAX just don’t work well in mobile environments.

the difference is T-Mobile's plans start at QCI 7 then go to QCI 8 except Essentials which is QCI 8 then goes to QCI 9 after 50 GB which put these plans at much better advantage what what Verizon offers

Back