Experiences with combining balances on Tracfone lines

Depends on the country involved. If they resist, I ask what is their country. Not always necessary though, South of the border is sometimes obvious by their screen name.

I like the Philippines group. Good attitude and efficient performance.

Despite resistance, I exit with kind words, and move on.

You could omit those kinds words and more effeciently move to the next rep instead of moving on without losing any clariy.

My favourite call centers are in Georgetown British Guiana

and Jamaica (they sometimes claim California)

Icing on the cake when you can hear the baby crying or yard chickens in the background!

The Filipinos' speech patterns bug me ("for this one") even more than the Indians...

But let me say I love all groupings of peoples - these issues are tiny, really just me being quirky

I can't say I've noticed any consistent patterns of greater or less competence by location ?

i have never really felt an relevance based to call center location

my only grievance is that it seem in recent years there is an over abundance of needless small talk being added into the conversation. it seems this is increasing as well.

sort of baffles me since i assume it is part of the training but that it also leads to much longer then necessary call or chat times that cost money. i would think the goal would be to get the pertinent information as fast as possible, complete the task and move on to the next customer.

sort of baffles me since i assume it is part of the training but that it also leads to much longer then necessary call or chat times that cost money. i would think the goal would be to get the pertinent information as fast as possible, complete the task and move on to the next customer.
These corporations use consultants who preach how important relating to the customer is with small talk. So that's why it gets built into the patter.

Yes I frequently use chat at my FIs they do the same thing, drives me nuts.

I have the SHORT ritual responses built into my copy/paste scripts.

I like asking after the health of the baby and/or chickens

Had a couple of experiences recently. One was laggy, the other much faster. Both on first try with a rep.

The laggy rep wanted the IMEI for the kept phone, I became suspicious, but did provide it.

It seems they have made this an official policy that merges are OK, and trained people appropriately.

Yeah; my Spidey Senses are tingling -- TF making merges official policy and training people appropriately ... just doesn't ring true.

My experience today transfer/combine from two non UNL lines -- VZW to ATT -- rep 'Noel' asked me for PIN from donor phone (normal) then IMEI on receiving phone (should have given up here, but gave it) then ICCID on receiving phone. I kept on just to give you guys a data point on what happens which was "I tried to process your request but, the system is not allowing me to do so because the SIM card to your phone is different to the old phone."

Which because its TracFone BYOP ATT its not unusual to have that behavior, but also stated have to flip to VZW for receiving.

I'll try again later to see if I can combine into an ATT line, but if not, may have to port the ATT line to VZW BYOP and then try to combine.

My experience today transfer/combine from two non UNL lines -- VZW to ATT -- rep 'Noel' asked me for PIN from donor phone (normal) then IMEI on receiving phone (should have given up here, but gave it) then ICCID on receiving phone. I kept on just to give you guys a data point on what happens which was "I tried to process your request but, the system is not allowing me to do so because the SIM card to your phone is different to the old phone."

Which because its TracFone BYOP ATT its not unusual to have that behavior, but also stated have to flip to VZW for receiving.

I'll try again later to see if I can combine into an ATT line, but if not, may have to port the ATT line to VZW BYOP and then try to combine.

I had the same last year. Just could not extend ATT line by merging into it. Moved it to a proper Tracfone branded phone on VZW, but could not move back to ATT after that. LOL! Had to do an emergency phone cloning!

So they started selling the new SIM kits starting in later 2023 for $1, it has T-mobile for an old "GSM compatible" (no ATT this time!), as well as a BYOD VZW sim too. Of course, I grabbed it on the spot! Unavailable now:

A fourm member told me last week that he spent 2 hrs with TF support (two Chats, one call) and none of the 3 reps was able to do a combine for him.

i combined onto an ATT line a couple weeks ago without issue, i don't know if its relevant but it is a line that i have never gotten a message to move to VoLTE/Verizon SIM. If I recall a couple years ago when I had multiple ATT lines that were getting messaging to migrate to VoLTE/Verizon support was able to do any sort of activity on those unless they were migrated first.

Oddly the I have found using BYOP ATT SIM's in older tracfone branded devices(thats worked with all three networks) seem to be the least likely way to messaging to migrate.

Note that "port" really should just mean moving from one provider to another.

Just switching a working line/number to a different SIM within Tracfone is not really porting.

As others mentioned, moving from an ATT SIM to a VZW one should be very straightforward, and that also "should" enable it to be involved in a Combine operation.

But you may never be able to go from a VZW / TMO SIM back to AT&T anymore if that's important to you.

My experience today transfer/combine from two non UNL lines -- VZW to ATT -- rep 'Noel' asked me for PIN from donor phone (normal) then IMEI on receiving phone (should have given up here, but gave it) then ICCID on receiving phone.
This happened to me a few times, when combining/transferring TF/VZW to TF/VZW. I have done combining many times, and most were successfully. My experiences:
A. (most efficient) send a 6-digit authentication code to the donor phone for verification, followed by a Security Alert text (moving service to a new device), then the transfer is completed within a few minutes. Some will give a ticket number and others will ask you to restart the phone to make sure everything is working.
B. (unnecessary) also send a verification code to the receiving phone.
C. (got nervous) ask for IMEI (and sometimes SIM ICCID) of the receiving phone, but completed correctly.
D. (ask to STOP immediately) the receiving phone received the Security Alert text about service moving (agents trying to move the wrong service). Agent trying to move the wrong service
E. (Worst case) agent seemed to know what to do, sent code to the donor phone (at that time, no security alert), then moved service AND phone number. Lost the phone number I wanted to keep and the service on it.

It's an internal port inside tf, I have done it a few times. I have three lines left with TF one on ATT I care about and will keep there till I run out of rewards points or they officially kick me off ATT. The other two is ATT and VZW and the last one just unlocked my last TracFone branded phone. So ideally I harvest it for the spare ATT line. If not will internal port to VZW and try a straight in network combine. If still no luck will just walk away.

Not too invested so will just try in morbid curiosity and to give others data points...

Maybe this attempted combine is dangerous -- as the website now shows no balance at all and BAL won't report anything back (and definitely didn't show up on the receiving phone). This is in addition to an odd email welcoming me to TracFone rewards while I've been a member for a while.

Could be just random TracFone outage so will check again later. My plan was to actually reverse the combine (Give up on the ATT line) to see if the problem is going to ATT but until I get a stable balance on the now donor line going to wait.

When combining do you get all service days added up?

Yes. The donor line deactivates and the target line gets its service end date and bucket units increased by the amount that was on donor. Target keeps the phone number that it always had.

What if the target is an active byop att phone?

I think i did that once. Theoretically I believe it should work. But I don't know if it being TF/AT&T especially now if it is going to work.

They may not allow it. If you decide to attempt, ask for best way to proceed. Caution.

Maybe this attempted combine is dangerous -- as the website now shows no balance at all and BAL won't report anything back (and definitely didn't show up on the receiving phone). This is in addition to an odd email welcoming me to TracFone rewards while I've been a member for a while.

Could be just random TracFone outage so will check again later. My plan was to actually reverse the combine (Give up on the ATT line) to see if the problem is going to ATT but until I get a stable balance on the now donor line going to wait.

TracFone DP -- after seeing my balances show as normal on both the ATT and VZW line I want to combine, I asked now to combine ATT into VZW, but got the security text on the VZW line and also the notification that my service was moving off the VZW line. Which is actually what I wanted _to start_.

Just let it go since I really didn't care, and it all worked as requested. So a DP that combines DO still work, and even if they text the _receiving_ phone (Which I think became the primary phone somehow in this joined rewards account) it CAN be ok. Or I think it is!

Back