FCC restarting $9 billion plan to expand 5G in rural areas

https://www.pcmag.com/news/fcc-moves-to-relaunch-9-billion-fund-to-expand-5g-in-rural-america

Too bad only limited to one kind of tech

In many cases LTE would be much better bang for the buck.

maybe even Starlink subsidies for some?

And the spectrum becoming available from DISH' collapse, TMO related dealings would be a big carrot, even if only useful in more densely populated areas...

I suspect that AT&T/VZW will use this 'funding' (taxpayer expense) to deploy 5G rurally. T-Mobile has 5G on its rural networks, however, its rural coverage for service in general is what's in need of beefing up.

I suspect that AT&T/VZW will use this 'funding' (taxpayer expense) to deploy 5G rurally. T-Mobile has 5G on its rural networks, however, its rural coverage for service in general is what's in need of beefing up.

Exactly. T-Mobile's swiss cheese coverage is what they need to work on. Case in point, right here. The site that serves this town is halfway between here and the next town, it serves both. The problem being tha next town from here is 15 miles away, which means that site is 7.5 miles away from each town, which is fine for low-band 5G but just barely because you only get 1 bar of signal IN each town. The best signal is in the country, great for those folks but not for the bigger population in the towns. But if T-Mobile activates 5G UC on that site, it will do no good for either community because that 2.5 Ghz signal cannot reach either town, meaning rural coverage but none in either community. AT&T and Verizon both have sites IN both communities, and have had for years, so if the day ever comes when they deploy 5G+, then both communities will be well served while T-Mobile will be left with nothing unless the place sites in both towns.

This is T-Mobile's biggest problem. They have always been fine with "Let's split the difference and serve two or more communities with a site out in the country and worry about building sites IN those communities later." Well, that "later" is now, and to maintain or gain equal footing with AT&T and Verizon, they need to add sites IN those communities. Hopefully this new program and effort will allow them to do just that.

over the last few years it among the place I travel too and spend time the rural and mountain areas now have relatively solid coverage including places that were dead spots a couple years ago. what has not improved nearly as much are the dead spots and weak signal areas inside the otherwise well covered urban areas, the intersections calls have always dropped during rush hour calls continue to drop. even though they often have the best connection in most places it seems ATT is the worst for inner city dead spots with T-Mobile very close behind. Verizon does seem to have this part of its networks figured out, my Verizon data connection often turns slow to the point of being unusable but connection does not drop and talk and texts continues to work reliably, i suppose this may be the beneficial side of the aggressive de-prioritization.

Yes talk and text will continue to get top priority

even though many younger folk hardly rely on either.

They use almost zero bandwidth compared to video, gaming etc

Back