Fire HD 10 2019 (9th gen) update

whacker

HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
Device(s)
LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
I thought I would make a thread to list updates to my HD 10 for others to compare to.

I wasn't expecting anything much in the way of further updates to this model, since its OS (version 7.x) is based on Android 9 and the newer model HD 10 (2021 gen 10) runs its Fire OS v8.x based on Android 11.

But I still just got an update to Fire OS, raising it to v7.3.2.7. Too new to tell if anything has really changed; doubtful it has. Still a good tablet for home lap surfing, especially considering it's only got 2 GB RAM.

the newer model HD 10 (2021 gen 10) runs its Fire OS v8.x based on Android 11.

I have an HD 10 (11th gen) and it runs Fire OS 7.3.2.8. When checking for updates, it said that's the most current one.

My (quite large) mistake.

Side issue: Strangely there was no 2020 10th gen of the HD 10, in between mine and yours.

Looks like, upon closer examination, Fire OS v8 made its debut with the 2022 Fire 7 & HD 8 models, and didn't appear on the HD 10 until the 2023 13th gen model (and similar to what was mentioned previously, there was no HD 10 2022 12th gen; aren't they cute with that?).

So your model and mine must be pretty similar, although mine only has 2 GB RAM/32 GB storage. Either your model or the current newest model now comes with 3 GB RAM standard, not even getting into the Plus versions. Most reviewers say the Plus versions aren't worth the extra cash, and I can see what they mean at this level.

I just checked my OS level again to confirm I'm at 7.3.2.7. Interesting they would make the distinction to have your newer model OS level up that one fraction of a click to .8.

Mine is a "regular" HD10 (2021) model. It has 3GB RAM and 32GB internal storage. CPU-Z says it's Android level is 9. I bought it on 6/30/23 when it was on sale for 1/2 off ($75) and I traded in an older one (2017?) for $30. I think it's a good deal.

Attachments

• Fire-HD10-Info-02.jpg
    Fire-HD10-Info-02.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Fire-HD10-Info-01.jpg
    Fire-HD10-Info-01.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 181
My brother in law got one about six months after me for about that price. That's about as low as they ever sell the HD 10 for, and it is a pretty good deal.

I got my 2019 model in late 2020 as a "free perk" for doing a three month trial of Amazon Prime. I haven't seen that kind of offer repeated.

My only beef, and I know this is by design, is that you can't go full-on Google with them (especially with the newer Fire OS versions 7 and 8), mainly as regards communications apps and their notifications. And their bootloaders are locked so there's hardly any effort by the "nerd" developer community to try and get them running an alternative Android build. At least by adding the Play Store you get some flexibility and better app choices, but it's still limited. I haven't gone the route of applying the full-on Fire Toolbox that someone from xda-developers has come up with.

At least by adding the Play Store you get some flexibility and better app choices, but it's still limited. I haven't gone the route of applying the full-on Fire Toolbox that someone from xda-developers has come up with.

I applied the xda Fire Toolbox to mine, disabled the Amazon ads, and installed Nova Launcher. I use mine to watch movies and check email while watching movies. I got all the media apps that I need installed on it.

Attachments

• Fire-HD10-Apps-2.jpg
    Fire-HD10-Apps-2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Fire-HD10-Apps-1.jpg
    Fire-HD10-Apps-1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 181
When I refer to trouble using communications apps, I mean things like incoming Google Voice texts, Facebook Messenger Lite incoming messages, and Google Chat incoming messages. I have no idea how widespread that issue may extend to other apps with a similar function, like if I was a WhatsApp or Telegram or Signal user, etc. The apps load and run, but they don't ding the dinger or post an icon in the Notification/Status bar for received messages. From what I read there's a problem (mostly due to intentional measures on the Amazon side) with how Google Play Services is not allowed integration fully into the Fire OS system (seeing that it's not Google).

I just made my Sunday morning pass through some weekly circulars, and there appears to be a big sale going on with the Amazon Fire tablets right now. Best Buy has the HD 10 standard edition for that previously mentioned $75. They also have the HD 8 Plus for $70. Target has the HD 8 standard edition for $60. I do not quote prices at the listed penny (or nickel) off the dollar scam; I round up to the dollar and communicate that as the price.

If I had it to do all over again, however, especially after now owning a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite for almost a year (in addition to my two Fire models), I would opt for a Lenovo M9, which is a relatively new model. Its footprint is only slightly larger than the 8 inch class types (Fire HD 8 or the 8.7" A7 Lite), and is a better running device, according to what I read. I like that physical size the best, although the full HD display on the Fire HD 10 is a serious draw.

My HD 10 just updated to 7.3.2.9. It apparently skipped 7.3.2.8.

Strangely, I just this moment got another notification that my HD 10 had updated to v7.3.2.9. Don't know what that's all about; maybe just a security component. Anyway, it's working well. Carry on.

Back