Five years with my Mobleys

david0858

One will be five years on the 22nd, the other on the 25th. One sim is back in one of the Mobleys as a hotspot with the power adapter and the other is in a LTE modem as the WAN to a router for our network. The have been great and got us off satellite internet (hack, spit). :yummy:

We've never had any problems and as far as I know, never been slowed.

One will be five years on the 22nd, the other on the 25th. One sim is back in one of the Mobleys as a hotspot with the power adapter and the other is in a LTE modem as the WAN to a router for our network. The have been great and got us off satellite internet (hack, spit). :yummy:

We've never had any problems and as far as I know, never been slowed.

We have 2 lines on Mobleys. Both SIM cards are in routers. These lines are amazing for $23.49 each.

I just wish all the shenanigans AT&T is pulling with their network would stop.

I finally cancelled mine. The throttling for the past couple of months were the straw. Video streaming keeps buffering and my lte router requires constant reboot to get the normal speed back and after few hours the throttling comes back.

I'm on the fence about cancelling mine. It was our main home Wi-Fi for a couple years and was fine for basic stuff. But the smart-home devices I began adding didn't work well with the Mobley plan. We are heavy streamers and there were fluctuations in service. Fiber eventually made to my neighborhood, so we picked that up last year.
I have a hotspot on my phone so the Mobley plan has been mostly unused. It it a difficult decision, I need the extra money, but I know true unlimited is a unicorn.

I don't use mine any longer either but I hesitate to cancel it because I don't know what the future will bring. I'm going to try sticking the Mobley SIM card into a 5G tablet. I know it won't get 5G so I'm going to set the tablet to LTE only.

I never used my two more than a couple of days. Now both MR1100s with the mobley sims in them, about 4 years of daily use.

Six years now. Both sims still going and setup as described in the OP. I really can't tell any difference in the speeds now and when we got them six years ago. Our tower speeds have always been highly variable on both towers (the Mobley and modem are on opposite sides of the house and they pick up different towers). I still can't see any speed difference if we are at 1 gig or a 100 gigs of usage. We do sometimes get severe primetime slowdowns but it is not related to how much we have or haven't used that month.

When we got them I never thought the Mobley sims would still be going all that long much less as long as they have. I also thought we would have had other sources of internet by now besides sat internet and ATT LTE since we live in a rural subdivision with several hundred houses and with all the billions of $ the gov has spent on rural internet but it's never happened so it's a good thing the Mobley sims still work.

I finally cancelled mine. The throttling for the past couple of months were the straw. Video streaming keeps buffering and my lte router requires constant reboot to get the normal speed back and after few hours the throttling comes back.

This happens to my friend all the time now, hes always having to reboot his Nighthawk M1. Despite this, he still manages to pull 300 GB a month on average so its certainly worth it for $23 a month. He travels for work so there really isn't a better or cheaper plan than this for him.

A few years ago my other friend used to pull 1 TB a month on average and there was never any slowdown. I know ive gotten my moneys worth out of these plans for sure.

My 2 lines are still humming along. Occasionally we’ll see little issues here and there but they don’t normally last long.

I managed to misplace the SIM from my Mobley in the last few days. I am still looking for it but I have no clue where the heck I left it. If I find my Mobley, I'll chat with AT&T and see if they will send me a replacement SIM.

Wow I had to go back and find my original order email to see what year I got my connected car. January of 2017 so I've had it for almost 6 years now. I definitely used it a lot the first couple of years as I was traveling a lot and enjoying not having to worry about wifi or having to pay for faster wifi at the hotel etc.

Then it became my primary internet at home because Comcast wouldn't fix my internet. Every technician would have me waiting on them for hours just for them to get there, look around for 5 mins and tell me how they can't get to the pole or how this is wrong etc. My Comcast was literally going out randomly and may stay off for 5 mins or 5 hours. The mobley line was a great stop gap. The signal at my house isn't the best for AT&T but it was enough for me to stream and download stuff slowly. I actually added a secondary mobley line a couple of months later at the recommendation of this forum to help balance out the data usage. I was averaging around 300gb a month. I finally got AT&T wireline internet so the mobley was back to travel duties then the pandemic hit and they both sat unused for a couple of years. I thought about canceling them as I wasn't using them but then things started opening back up and I traveled for leisure and work and I was happy to have it.

Even now it goes unused most months but when I travel I definitely put a few gigs on it streaming, using remote desktop for work etc. I even let my parents use it when their internet was out for a couple of weeks (Comcast again surprise surprise)

I feel like I will be one of the guys that still has this plan when they sunset 4g lol. I debate over Cancelling it but figured it's better to have it and not need it instead of needing it and wishing I had it, especially after pricijg current plans. $55 for 50gb or $100 plus for business unlimited with speed tiers. I was initially bummed when they said no 5G but LTE has been plenty

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

I managed to misplace the SIM from my Mobley in the last few days. I am still looking for it but I have no clue where the heck I left it. If I find my Mobley, I'll chat with AT&T and see if they will send me a replacement SIM.

The Mobley phone number should be all you need. That's all I've ever needed when doing anything on the account. Even with my regular AT&T phones they always have me verify the phone number of the line I want to swap Sims on etc. I would recommend going in the store tho. They don't seem to send sims via chat anymore and calling in runs the risk of them making changes on your account. In the store you can talk to them, verify the information and go on about your business

Yea, I was one of the first ones who got it as well. Now it is time to drop it. T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is now finally available in my rural place and it is only $30/month including all taxes. An it is significantly faster.

Yea, I was one of the first ones who got it as well. Now it is time to drop it. T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is now finally available in my rural place and it is only $30/month including all taxes. An it is significantly faster.

And even if not replacing home internet , tab Magenta and ATT Unl Tab in modified m6’s fits the 2023 narrative better

Folks,

I've got three mobley lines that I've had forever. Six years? I know I signed up for them very early on when they first came out. One line my parents used for years in the Mobley with an AC adapter I made. My daughter used one of the lines for awhile, then my nephew.

As of today, one sits in a cellular router that currently isn't being used. Another is in an unlocked ATT Unite explore with a small panel antenna in a cabin up behind our house. It runs of a deep cell battery with a solar panel attached. The other sim is in a GL-iNet Spitz GL-X750V2 that I use every so often at the house when the power is out or I want to turn on VPN at the router level.

I haven't noticed any throttling over the years. I figure someday this plan will end........

Eric

Seven years now. The two Mobley sims are now in a Cudy LT12 dual sim Cat 12 modem/router and work much better. Still no problems with them or ATT.

We still have no other choices for internet besides ATT, traditional sat internet (never again) and now Starlink. It's a no brainer. Tax, fees and all the two Mobleys together are $47.16. Starlink would be $600+tax to get it and then $120+tax a month. While it would be faster than ATT, the Mobleys are plenty fast enough for us.

We try to keep our monthy use equally divided between the two sims as we don't want to take any chances of being noticed by ATT. I know people talk about all the hundreds of gigs they use but but I'd just as soon not take any chances.

I don't plan on giving my two up, even though one is rarely used. It is too good to give up (and I am hoping eventually - maybe 5+ years down the road lol) they'll let these plans use 5g. 90% of the time it was on the original mobleys, then a year or so ago I switched to an inseego mifi 8000 (very similar specs to the popular nighthawk m1) - but unfortunately the inseego could not be run without a battery. So then I broke down and bought a M1 (which promptly died after around 6 months - bootloop issue). Lastly I bought a netgear orbi lbr20, which has been the best experience so far

Is anyone else starting to see more video throttling issues than in the past? Me and another Mobley owner have been discussing it. We are seeing some his more and more. I also have some att unlimited plus hotspot lines, the video throttling on there is becoming more of a problem. And yes I’ve cycled the stream saver or video management option numerous times times. It might work better for a day or two, but then it starts acting up again.

I'm using my Mobley line in an MR1100. Lately, speed goes to crap, very slow. Reboot the modem, speeds are great again............sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for five minutes. This is all times of day and night. Early in the morning, I can get speeds up around 50Mbps, then they go to nothing. Reboot, speeds up again.

I think it's throttling and not a congestion issue. Speeds seem to stay more consistent when I use a VPN, albeit a little slower than without.

I'm using my Mobley line in an MR1100. Lately, speed goes to crap, very slow. Reboot the modem, speeds are great again............sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for five minutes. This is all times of day and night. Early in the morning, I can get speeds up around 50Mbps, then they go to nothing. Reboot, speeds up again.

I think it's throttling and not a congestion issue. Speeds seem to stay more consistent when I use a VPN, albeit a little slower than without.

Some say that att will throttle some of these plans if they stay on the tower for too long. Some put timers on their devices so they reboot once every day or so.

Back