how do i use a .wav file as a ringtone when i send it to my phone?

Mark_Venture said:
Knotnututhis,

I got the two files you sent me via email. I found the problem, and I have to ask... What did you use to encode them?

I didnt, a buddy of mine told me a site that me got his ringers from that worked for him. They have that they are 4 Nextel phones, but I was informed by my buddy that they play on the 710 as well. The site: www.http://v710-ringtones.com/

Mark_Venture said:
I can not play them in WinAMP. (even if I rename to .MP3). File info on the one shows its 320Kbit encoded, the other says 64Kbit encoded, but they do NOT play.... While Windows Media Player 9 can play them, it can NOT identify/list what audio codec they are when you try and display properties of the file. Playing them in WMP, there is no way they are encoded the way WinAMP tells me. They sound like garbage... If the laurenhill one was truely encoded the way WinAMP tells me, it should be CD Quality!

The files play on my pc in real player & sounds like is cd quality. When I emailed the files 2 my 710 (wav or mp3 file) it plays & sounds like cd quality as well. They are really loud on my phone. I dont see any options 2 set it as a ringer but it will play. The (mid) files always state that it is a unrecognize file if I try 2 play or save it though on the phone. They will play on my pc though.

Mark_Venture said:
Opening them in CoolEdit Pro, they are NOT encoded using an MP3 codec, but rather 8000Hz, 8-Bit, Mono Windows PCM. That is the main part of your problem.

When they play back, they sound horrible. If I convert them to .MP3, they sound even worse. So bad that I would say you are better off starting from scratch with the original files and reconvert to .MP3.

Let us know what software you have/are using so we can give you some tips for it to work out better for ya.

I have never encoded mp3s in this fashion b/c I never had a phone that would play them until 3 days ago. As far as mp3 software on my pc, I have Nero 6, DbPowerAmp, & Musicmatch. I havent ever "chopped" a mp3 b4.

So do u think I should not use these mp3's that I got from that site?? Are there any sites that have mp3 files encoded in a fashion that the 710 will accept them, or is it a fairly easy process 2 do it myself??

Last edited:
Knotnututhis said:
...They have that they are 4 Nextel phones, but I was informed by my buddy that they play on the 710 as well. The site: www.http://v710-ringtones.com/
I visited that site. They are Windows PCM encoded WAV files, not MP3. This is part of the problem.

AFAIK the V710 can only use .MP3, Midi, or Imelody files as ringers.

I have not been successful even when I use MPT to copy a .WAV to the phone and try to just Play it.

Knotnututhis said:
...The files play on my pc in real player & sounds like is cd quality. When I emailed the files 2 my 710 (wav or mp3 file) it plays & sounds like cd quality as well.
Yeah, like i said, they play in media player. But not Winamp. That is the important thing... If they do not play in WinAMP, they will not play on the phone.

Btw, either you sent me different files, or my ears are just way more sensitive.
Visit my ringers HERE Give a listen to We_Like_2_Party.mp3, Bad_to_the_Bone.mp3 and/or 50Cents_InDaClub.mp3. They are cleaner, but still not CD Quality.

Then listen to Sk8er_Boi.mp3... Its highs are slightly distorted when played on the PC, it sounds "OK" on the phone, but not great. When I compress it down, I can't get that "magic" point between too much compression, and too big of a file.

The files you sent me are "muddy," have no highs, more background noise/hiss... But to me, neither mine, nore the ones you sent are "cd quality"
Knotnututhis said:
They are really loud on my phone. I dont see any options 2 set it as a ringer but it will play. The (mid) files always state that it is a unrecognize file if I try 2 play or save it though on the phone. They will play on my pc though.
Yeah, loud is good when it comes to a ringer... But we need to get the files into a format the phone can use as a ringer.
Knotnututhis said:
I have never encoded mp3s in this fashion b/c I never had a phone that would play them until 3 days ago. As far as mp3 software on my pc, I have Nero 6, DbPowerAmp, & Musicmatch. I havent ever "chopped" a mp3 b4.
Does your Nero inlcude the Nero Wave Editor? If so, you can use that to open a file, edit it, trim it and save as an MP3.
Knotnututhis said:
So do u think I should not use these mp3's that I got from that site?? Are there any sites that have mp3 files encoded in a fashion that the 710 will accept them, or is it a fairly easy process 2 do it myself??
You can use that site, depending... But you will have to do some work first before you can use them as ringers..

Its relatively easy. On the "to do" list for my site is to put somekind of walk thru together for taking a wave or sound file, and turning it into a ringer.

For now, with what you have, if your copy of Nero includes the Wave Editor, you can open sound files, and trim them if needed, then when you save them, Do File-> Save As.. for "save as type" pick the PowerPack LAME MP3 encoder. Under Options, select Constant BitRate, 48Kbit, Mono. It shuold be saved in a format the phone can use.

Knotnututhis,

I just sent you an email with one of those files converted to .MP3... try it. Let me know if it works.

Mark_Venture said:
Knotnututhis,

I just sent you an email with one of those files converted to .MP3... try it. Let me know if it works.

Yes, that file worked perfectly!! Did u convert that from the file I sent u or from that site I listed??

BTW, I did notice how there was the option 2 save as ringtone that wasnt there before with the files I had. Also, yes my v. of Nero DOES have Nero Wave Editor.

Last edited:
Knotnututhis said:
Yes, that file worked perfectly!! Did u convert that from the file I sent u or from that site I listed??
YAHOO!!!! Yes. I converted the file you sent me with Nero Wave Editor...

Launched Nero Wave Editor...
File -> Open... (change to All Files *.* if necessary)... and open the file.

Then File -> Save As... Fill in the file name. Under Save As Type.. picked PowerPack Lame MP3 Encoder. Clicked the OPTION button. Set it for Contstant Bit Rate, 48Kbit, Mono. (If the original file was stereo, I would have left it Stereo.)

That was it. ( I could have done the same with Cool Edit Pro, or Adobe Audition, but I wanted to try with something you might have so you can do it in the future if you need to)

Knotnututhis said:
BTW, I did notice how there was the option 2 save as ringtone that wasnt there before with the files I had. Also, yes my v. of Nero DOES have Nero Wave Editor.

Cool. that is the way it should be. When you send a file the phone can handle, it should give you the option to save or apply as ring tone.

Try the steps I typed above with your Nero Wave Editor and see what happens. BTW, The file will be saved as a .MP3. Play it in Winamp and check out the file info. Make sure it says Mpeg 1.0 Layer 3, and plays. If it does, you can rename it to .MID and email it to your phone.

Oh, and Nero Wave Editor will allow you to trim, apply effects, etc. also. So if you rip a song from a CD, you can cut it down and use only a selected part for your ringer file. :)

Thx a million Mark_Venture. Im on my way 2 the store & when I come back, Im going 2 give it a shot!! U just saved me from giving Verizon/Get It Now my $$. Actually, I told myself that I wasnt going 2 purchase anymore ringtones b/c I didnt want 2 give them my $$. Thats the primary reason the tried 2 limit the BT feature!! This country is so money hungry. :rolleyes:

Just 2 give an update, I did successfully convert those wma files from the site I listed 2 mp3, to rename 2 Mid. I used Sony Sound Forge 7.0 instead of Nero Wave Editor 2 encode the files. Now Im done with round 1. Now round 2 is 4 me 2 learn how 2 make my own clips of mp3's from full audio tracks. Xtra thx Mark_Venture!! :haveadrin

Knotnututhis said:
Just 2 give an update, I did successfully convert those wma files from the site I listed 2 mp3, to rename 2 Mid. I used Sony Sound Forge 7.0 instead of Nero Wave Editor 2 encode the files. Now Im done with round 1. Now round 2 is 4 me 2 learn how 2 make my own clips of mp3's from full audio tracks. Xtra thx Mark_Venture!! :haveadrin
Glad you got it working!!

If you have Sound Forge, it should be relatively easy to figure out how to make your own. Once you rip your song or sound to WAV, MP3 or whatever, open in sound forge and edit it.

Sound Forge is a powerfull editor. When you know how to use it, you can do amazing things.

Have fun!!

If I have a dvd ripped 2 a vob format, can I create a mp3 2 use as a ringtone??

Knotnututhis said:
If I have a dvd ripped 2 a vob format, can I create a mp3 2 use as a ringtone??
Well, after you extract the audio from the VOB file, then open in an editor and trim it down... Yes.

Basically, using Sound Forge, CoolEdit Pro, Adobe Audition, Nero Wave Editor, etc... Any sound file those programs can open, edit/trim down and then can export to .MP3 can be used.

Its just a matter of getting them into the audio editor.

I have not yet ripped audio out of a VOB file. But I want to. I have a few music video dvd's that I want to put on audio CD or my MP3 player :) I just haven't had the time to see what all is needed.

Tried and Tried AGAIN

Hey Guys

I have tried all of what you've said and I can’t seem to get this thing to work. I have a Motorola E815 and I can’t get the file to save as a ring tone. I have it in .mid format but when I e-mailed it to my phone it says “File Type Not Recognized". If anyone can tell me any successful ways they have done this that would be great as well as any software used to make the ring tones. I use Nero Wav Editor.

Thanks

Andrew

amb5527 said:
Hey Guys

I have tried all of what you've said and I can’t seem to get this thing to work. I have a Motorola E815 and I can’t get the file to save as a ring tone. I have it in .mid format but when I e-mailed it to my phone it says “File Type Not Recognized". If anyone can tell me any successful ways they have done this that would be great as well as any software used to make the ring tones. I use Nero Wav Editor.

Thanks

Andrew
First.. try one of the MP3's I have on the RINGTONE page of on my pages (link in signature)... If that works, we need to check out how you ecoded your files... Btw, what settings are you using when you save in Nero Wave Editor? And if you play them back in WinAMP (NOT Windows Media Player!!) and do a File Info, what does it say?? (all info please)...

Also on my Ringtone page are links to using other software... and steps...

:mod:

Hey

Thanks for your help. I've gone to your website and followed all of the instructions. I have to try sending myself one of your ring tones on your page. I opened the file in Winamp and the file info. is

Size: 59478 bytes
Header found at: 0 bytes
Length: 30 seconds
MPEG 2.5 layer 3
16kbit, 571 frames
11025Hz Mono
CRCs: No
Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Emphasis: None

:bash:

Ok. One last question. From your site am I sending me an MP3 file or am I sending a .MID with a * ?. Before i was sending .MID that i renamed. Thanks! Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited:
amb5527 said:
...I opened the file in Winamp and the file info. is

Size: 59478 bytes
Header found at: 0 bytes
Length: 30 seconds
MPEG 2.5 layer 3
16kbit, 571 frames
11025Hz Mono
CRCs: No
Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Emphasis: None
Ok, that is the problem.. the Encoding options... Your file is 16kbit/11kHz/Mono Mpeg 2.5 Layer 3...

The posts above I suggest 48kbit/44kHz/Mono... which results in Mpeg 1.0 Layer 3... Open the 001_CTU24.mp3 from my pages in WinAMP you will see the difference...

amb5527 said:
...Ok. One last question. From your site am I sending me an MP3 file or am I sending a .MID with a * ?. Before i was sending .MID that i renamed. Thanks! Any help or suggestions would be great.
sending a .MID that you renamed?? You lost me...

If its a REAL General Midi file, leave the extension as .MID,

If its a Yamaha SMAF (like the MID with the * next to them on my pages), you want the extension as .MID...

If its a REAL MP3, and you have an E815 you have a choice.. You can send with the MP3 extension or Rename the file so the extension changes from .MP3 to .MID.

IF you have an V710, MP3's must be renamed to .MID before you send... Renaming to .MP3 was mainly a hold over from V710 users... For V710 users, Verizon seems to block emailing Files with the Extension of .MP3 to the phone... The work around of RENAMING the extenstion to .MP3 gets us by that...

Note: It appears Verizon did not block sending .MP3's to the E815 for some reason, so renaming to .MID is strictly OPTIONAL for E815 users.

Have a look at http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=673967

Ok

I did what you said and the file was MPEG 1.0 Layers 3. I send the MP3 to my phone and nothing showed up. The pix message said Play & Pause but there was no music and when i click on save. Only Save Phone Number and Save E-mail Address came up.

Thanks

Andrew

amb5527 said:
Ok

I did what you said and the file was MPEG 1.0 Layers 3. I send the MP3 to my phone and nothing showed up. The pix message said Play & Pause but there was no music and when i click on save. Only Save Phone Number and Save E-mail Address came up.

Thanks

Andrew
Hmm... Did you use one of my samples? or one you made yourself?

Btw, there are a couple of posts in that thread saying the menu choices are slightly different on the E815 (I have a V710, and wrote those instructions based on my phone)...

See -> Post #29 and Post #144 which give the steps taken that worked...

Mark_Venture said:
Hmm... Did you use one of my samples? or one you made yourself?

Btw, there are a couple of posts in that thread saying the menu choices are slightly different on the E815 (I have a V710, and wrote those instructions based on my phone)...

See -> Post #29 and Post #144 which give the steps taken that worked...

Mark_Venture,

I could not upload my ringtone files into the vwzpix.com site so I downloaded two of yours (a-team(theme).mid and benny_hill_show.mp3) to see if I could upload these. I could not. Note: I did not rename them.

So, I'm wondering if Verizon has disabled users from loading ringtones onto this site? I'd be surprised if they did because I was just in their store about a week ago and they told me that I could upload pics and ringtones to my phone via this site.

Would you mind trying to see if you can load these files onto vwzpix.com and let me know if you were successful?

Thanks

c_kramer said:
Mark_Venture,

I could not upload my ringtone files into the vwzpix.com site so I downloaded two of yours (a-team(theme).mid and benny_hill_show.mp3) to see if I could upload these. I could not. Note: I did not rename them.

So, I'm wondering if Verizon has disabled users from loading ringtones onto this site? I'd be surprised if they did because I was just in their store about a week ago and they told me that I could upload pics and ringtones to my phone via this site.

Would you mind trying to see if you can load these files onto vwzpix.com and let me know if you were successful?

Thanks
Are you actually visiting VZWPIX.COM and uploading/creating the message there? Or are you using an email client to email them to your phone?

for emailing to phone see -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=673967

There was always a problem uploading/sending NON-Real General Midi files from the VZWPIX.COM site itself... (i.e. visiting VZWPIX.COM, signing in, "creating" a multimedia message and uploading the sound files to send from the web site... if they are NOT REAL General Midi, the site compains.. so you cant do that with MP3's renamed to mid, and you can not do that with MMF's renamed to mid...)

Btw, for the A-Team(theme).mid* noctice the * next to it.. and the fine print on my page just above the ringtone list that says..."* denotes ringer is a Yamaha SMAF "Voice Ringer" .MMF file, NOT a true General MIDI file. As such, it will NOT play in Windows Media Player or WinAMP on the PC. To play these on a PC, rename to .MMF and use PSMPlay 5.0 or PSMPlayer 3.8. Google search to find it."

Mark_Venture said:
Are you actually visiting VZWPIX.COM and uploading/creating the message there? Or are you using an email client to email them to your phone?

I visited vxwpix.com, logged in, and tried to upload the file.

Mark_Venture said:

I did read a post that you had posted on how to email the ringtones to your phone. I had no problem doing this. Thanks.

Mark_Venture said:
There was always a problem uploading/sending NON-Real General Midi files from the VZWPIX.COM site itself... (i.e. visiting VZWPIX.COM, signing in, "creating" a multimedia message and uploading the sound files to send from the web site... if they are NOT REAL General Midi, the site compains.. so you cant do that with MP3's renamed to mid, and you can not do that with MMF's renamed to mid...)

Got it. Thanks a lot.

c_kramer

Mark_Venture said:
YAHOO!!!! Yes. I converted the file you sent me with Nero Wave Editor...

Launched Nero Wave Editor...
File -> Open... (change to All Files *.* if necessary)... and open the file.

Then File -> Save As... Fill in the file name. Under Save As Type.. picked PowerPack Lame MP3 Encoder. Clicked the OPTION button. Set it for Contstant Bit Rate, 48Kbit, Mono. (If the original file was stereo, I would have left it Stereo.)

That was it. ( I could have done the same with Cool Edit Pro, or Adobe Audition, but I wanted to try with something you might have so you can do it in the future if you need to)

Cool. that is the way it should be. When you send a file the phone can handle, it should give you the option to save or apply as ring tone.

Try the steps I typed above with your Nero Wave Editor and see what happens. BTW, The file will be saved as a .MP3. Play it in Winamp and check out the file info. Make sure it says Mpeg 1.0 Layer 3, and plays. If it does, you can rename it to .MID and email it to your phone.

Oh, and Nero Wave Editor will allow you to trim, apply effects, etc. also. So if you rip a song from a CD, you can cut it down and use only a selected part for your ringer file. :)

hey i just used nero wave editor and open my file and croped what i wanted and when i save i go to save as>mp3>clicked option and chose constant bitrate, mp3:48kbit, 44100 Hz, mono and hit OK then save it.
When i right click and properties the file, i go to summary and view it and it says its still stereo... didnt i save it as mono? also it shows it as 192kbps... the file is about 30 secs long and it's 731 kb... how can i make it smaller using 48kbit 44 hz mono?

Last edited:
Back