How Long will Samsung J3 Luna Pro Last?

SJGUY99

I use a Samsung J3 Luna Pro smartphone that I have been very happy with. I like the size, screen quality, weight and ease of use. Recently, I was unable to download a major online retailer's app because the phone was too old to support the app. I was able to download the app to a previously activated with a transfer to my J3 Luna Pro Samsung A02s smartphone using wi-fi. It appears that most smartphones today have screens that are over 6" and are narrower than previous ones. I am assuming there are no under $100 smartphones more advanced than the J3 Luna Pro with a screen size under 6", correct?

How long will a Samsung J3 Luna Pro last before I am unable to download most commonly used apps? Will the operating system version the phone is currently using cease to function one day? What other negative situations could arise from using this older phone? Probably unlike most people, I really prefer using this phone to modern day ones, especially considering the size, weight, screen and lack of easy mode (large icons) on modern phones.

HSN currently has a $49.99 1 year of service 1500 minutes Tracfone bundle on a Samsung A03s. Does this phone provide any measurable improvement over the Samsung A02s?

very hard to predict, I would suggest to just keep using it until it either stops working due to some malfunction or due to old firmware and app incompatibility. than look at currently available options when that time come and it can no longer function as you need it.

unfortunately there are not a lot of option for small android phones and with the power needs of 5G expect limited battery life from any device not large enough to hold a bigger battery. the primary reason most phones having gotten as big as they have is to fit larger batteries.

A smartphone with an old operating system won't flat quit running one day. Some companies might require you to use the latest version of their app to login but the latest version can't be installed on your old operating system. So your phone slowly becomes less useful. Another thing is security update. Google (the publisher of Android OS) eventually will quit releasing security updates for your old Android release. So your phone will be more susceptible to malware. Typically, Google stops providing security updates for an Android release that is 3-4 versions older than the latest Android release.

As for apps, it depends on the developers. When a developer wants to make a major change to his app to add more features/functions, he will need to test those improvements with older releases of Android to make sure they will work. Sometimes those new features/functions depend on something that an older Android release doesn't have, so the new version of that app can't be installed or run on the older Android releases.

I too prefer smartphones that aren't too big, about 145mm tall, or 150mm max. There are few new phones like that with hi-res 108p screen. I've been using Samsung S22, S23, S24 but they aren't cheap.

I never had a Samsung A02s but I got a bunch of free A03s from TF and I think they're terribly slow.

Last edited:
Thank you for the helpful reply.

I like the screen quality and availability of easy mode on the J3 Luna Pro so I will keep it for as long as possible. I use less than 500 minutes per year and I have about 2,000 minutes currently. I could buy a year of service with no minutes from Tracfone for $49.99 or go to HSN.com and purchase a Samsung Galaxy A03s with 1500 minutes and 1 year of service for $49.99. The former is the easiest and least hassle way to obtain 1 year of service, the latter requires contacting Tracfone and having to transfer service to the old phone, which I haven't done in a couple of years. Is the $49.99 HSN price one that is offered regularly for the A03s? Which option would you choose if the goal is to obtain 1 year of service?

I could buy a year of service with no minutes from Tracfone for $49.99 or go to HSN.com and purchase a Samsung Galaxy A03s with 1500 minutes and 1 year of service for $49.99. The former is the easiest and least hassle way to obtain 1 year of service, the latter requires contacting Tracfone and having to transfer service to the old phone, which I haven't done in a couple of years. Which option would you choose if the goal is to obtain 1 year of service?

I'd choose to get a new bundle from HSN or QVC and harvest its 1-yr and units. You can do it all online, no needs to contact TF. Log into your TF account, select ACTIVATE near the top of the screen. Tell the site that it's a TF-branded phone and provide its IMEI or SIM number, select Keep My Phone Number and enter your old phone's phone number. It'll text a security code to your old phone to confirm ownership. Enter the code and the site will start the process of activating the new phone with a transfer from your old phone. Wait a day or two, then go through the same process online to (RE)ACTIVATE your old phone with a transfer from the new phone if you prefer to keep using your old phone.

One benefit of buying a new phone bundle is that you'll have the A03s as a spare for when your old phone quits working.

You might try to find a Samsung J7 phone. Would have a little newer version of Android.
Watch the phone displays at Kroger (or whatever) for discounted Motorla ATT gophones.

I'd choose to get a new bundle from HSN or QVC and harvest its 1-yr and units. You can do it all online, no needs to contact TF. Log into your TF account, select ACTIVATE near the top of the screen. Tell the site that it's a TF-branded phone and provide its IMEI or SIM number, select Keep My Phone Number and enter your old phone's phone number. It'll text a security code to your old phone to confirm ownership. Enter the code and the site will start the process of activating the new phone with a transfer from your old phone. Wait a day or two, then go through the same process online to (RE)ACTIVATE your old phone with a transfer from the new phone if you prefer to keep using your old phone.

One benefit of buying a new phone bundle is that you'll have the A03s as a spare for when your old phone quits working.

So I have to activate the new phone first and then wait to transfer back to the old phone vs directly transferring the bundle to the old phone, correct?

How long do you think the 1 year of service for $49.99 will be available for in the future? This has been offered for several years now and considering inflation, I am amazed Tracfone is able to still offer it at that price. Is there competition that has similar pricing?

So I have to activate the new phone first and then wait to transfer back to the old phone vs directly transferring the bundle to the old phone, correct?

How long do you think the 1 year of service for $49.99 will be available for in the future?I am amazed Tracfone is able to still offer it at that price. Is there competition that has similar pricing?

The bundled time is only loaded to the new phone when it is activated. You can't add the bundled time directly to your old phone.

$49.99 for one year of service with no units at all isn't that good of a deal. There are competitors that offer 500 minutes, 500 texts, 500MB each month for $5, that's $60/year, only $10 more than TF's 1-yr for $49.99 with no units. Use https://prepaidcompare.net/ to see those plans.

The bundled time is only loaded to the new phone when it is activated. You can't add the bundled time directly to your old phone.

$49.99 for one year of service with no units at all isn't that good of a deal. There are competitors that offer 500 minutes, 500 texts, 500MB each month for $5, that's $60/year, only $10 more than TF's 1-yr for $49.99 with no units. Use https://prepaidcompare.net/ to see those plans.

What is the probability in your opinion of HSN.com continuing to offer Tracfone bundles in the future? Also, how do I know if my Tracfone service is on the Verizon or T-Mobile network?

1. What is the probability in your opinion of HSN.com continuing to offer Tracfone bundles in the future?
2. Also, how do I know if my Tracfone service is on the Verizon or T-Mobile network?

1. Sorry, I have no ideas on that.
2. The first 6 digits of a TF SIM number (ICCID) identify which carrier it's for:
* 890141: AT&T
* 890126: T-mobile
* 891480: Verizon

The SIM number is usually shown in Settings-->About Phone-->one of the sub-menus. If you can't find it, you can eject the SIM card and read its number.

So I have to activate the new phone first and then wait to transfer back to the old phone
No need to wait more than 24hrs.

Even if you want the worthless bundled phone to get unlocked, e.g. donate to a shelter

very often it will be unlocked OOTB or worst case 60 days after you activated it, no need to keep the line active on that phone specifically.

> How long do you think the 1 year of service for $49.99 will be available for in the future?

No one can predict the future.

But I see that as a stupidly expensive option compared to the bundles, especially if you use any data at all.

see this thread

https://www.howardforums.com/showth...st-per-month-AND-low-PayGo-add-on-cost-per-GB

how do I know if my Tracfone service is on the Verizon or T-Mobile network?
All bundles are VZW for many years now.

But easy to move the line to TMO if desired

> What is the probability in your opinion of HSN.com continuing to offer Tracfone bundles in the future?

QVC and TF official eBay store as well.

No one knows the future.

IMO very high, maybe for years

I am amazed Tracfone is able to still offer it at that price

Here's a breakdown of valuing the different bundle components.

My thinking is the calendar months are worth between $2-3

I assign zero value to T&T units, maybe add a buck or two /mo for UNL

also the bundle hardware at zero.

Then that derives the price/GB of the rollover-forever data.

With UNL plans including 24GB, that is around $2/GB or even less.

With PayGo usually 1.5GB I value that at $10/GB thus would only get that plan type for lines using well under 500MB average/mo

Here's a query to look for these deals, use 1500 for PayGo

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tracfone+24-GB+year+QVC+OR+HSN

eBay for TF directly

Can buy a year before you need it, but search every few days if you need it within a few months

Did you verify it includes 24GB of data?

Someone on SD contacted QVC customer service and they said it includes the data, and that you could return it if it doesn't. Also, the one year, 24GB airtime "card" shows and is discussed in the video.
"I spoke to the sales rep at QVC about the disappearing 24GB of data in the product title, and pointed out to her that the sales presentation video clearly shows the 24GB package. She assured me that a return was not an issue if there was a problem with data being included. I took a screen shot of the 24GB part of the video just in case anyone gets snippy." Another poster verified that the data was included.

The item previously had 24GB in the title, but they changed it for some reason.

OK so if you think you can value the phone at $30

calendar time with UTT valued at only $3/mo

the rollover-forever GBs come out to under $1 each

Are there any good quality smartphones offered for sale on HSN.com with a Tracfone 1 year 1500 minutes bundle or are they all mediocre?

Back