How Much Data on the $50 Plan?

Grateful4Advice

I have read conflicting posts regarding how much data one should expect on Simple Mobile. All of those posts preceded the reduction from $60 to $50. Does anyone know how much data to expect on the $50 plan? At what point does SM throttle?

Thank you.

I have read conflicting posts regarding how much data one should expect on Simple Mobile. All of those posts preceded the reduction from $60 to $50. Does anyone know how much data to expect on the $50 plan? At what point does SM throttle?

Thank you.

I believe it is still at 2gb

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. Do they cut you off at 2gb or do they throttle you after 2gb?

They throttle but if excessive amount use after 2gb they cut u off for that month

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

What kind of speeds are you getting on the $50 plan?

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

The $50 "Unlimited" data & voice plan is limited to 2gb. The average dl speed I get with this plan is ~ 7 mb/sec (~ 15 mb/sec peak).

Throttling
Yes, they will throttle you down once you reach 2gb cap. The new speed is only about 230 kb/sec

Even with throttling, I had used over 3gb of data before receiving suspension notice.

The $50 "Unlimited" data & voice plan is limited to 2gb. The average dl speed I get with this plan is ~ 7 mb/sec (~ 15 mb/sec peak).

Throttling
Yes, they will throttle you down once you reach 2gb cap. The new speed is only about 230 kb/sec

Even with throttling, I had used over 3gb of data before receiving suspension notice.

So let me get this straight you are getting 7 megs download thru simple mobile ?? I realize they have increased there speeds on the 4G plan I`m really shocked type of phone do you have ??

Seems reasonable considering Straight Talk SIM T-Mobile customers can hit 14mbps.

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

So let me get this straight you are getting 7 megs download thru simple mobile ?? I realize they have increased there speeds on the 4G plan I`m really shocked type of phone do you have ??

Correct. 6-7 mb/s down, 2 mb/s up on average in MN with an HTC Incredible S (the Asian variation).

In case anyone cares...

This morning I measured 7.63 Mbps DL and 1.75 Mbps UL using the SpeedTest app on an unlocked iPhone 4S with the SimpleMobile 4G $50 unlimited plan in two different cell sites north of Seattle which obviously have been refarmed by T-Mobile for 3G on 1900Mhz. Typical speeds over multiple tests fell with in the expected 5-7 Mbps DL range and 1.7-2.3 Mbps UL range.

John L.

So the question is who gives you the most data - simple or straight Talk? I'm on simple $40 and up to 3gb so far.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using HowardForums

So the question is who gives you the most data - simple or straight Talk? I'm on simple $40 and up to 3gb so far.

That is a great question. I am on Straight Talk now but I'm growing tired of watching my data. I know America Movil owns both but it sure would be nice to know if Simple Mobile, straight talk or net 10 unlimited gives you more data.

On the T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM vs Simple Mobile, its probably pretty close.
On the AT&T Straight Talk SIM, Simple Mobile definitely gives you more data.

is that 3gb over the 2gb cap (5gb total) or is that 3gb total (2gb cap and than 1gb throttled data)?

Throttling

That would be 3GBs total (2GBs full speed and 1GB throttled). I work at a store that sales Simple Mobile and most of the customers on Simple get their Data cut off for the month at 2.5GBs.

That would be 3GBs total (2GBs full speed and 1GB throttled). I work at a store that sales Simple Mobile and most of the customers on Simple get their Data cut off for the month at 2.5GBs.

I believe they are no longer honestly telling that they cut off data to the customers, but instead they are making ridiculous claims like your phone does not support it and such. Here is what tech told me (in written email):

We were able to speak with you on October 28, 2012 (9:25 PM EST) at
***-***-****. You were informed that the reason that your data speed
runs only with 3G is because your phone is not a supported handset for
4G speeds.

We understand that you were able to use the 4G speed these past few
months. You were informed that this case is similar with our iPhone
users. During activation, the network does not know the phone model the
SIM card is inserted into. The network sends data throughput through
multiple frequencies in order to determine the frequency the handset is
running into. Once the network realizes that the handset does not work
with 1700 MHz bands, it sends the appropriate data speed which is 2G.

I am just above 2 gig of data at this time. What a guy was trying to tell me is that my phone does not really support 4G and the reason I had 4G speds was by mistake. He also added that they see similar issues with iPhones (which are not on the t-mobile band whatsoever), that they run in 4G, and then it all ends once the "system understands" that the phone was not supposed to

what's the data limit of the $50 "unlimited" 4G plan

So the "game just changed in our favor" :rolleyes: Seriously though, how many GB can you use before it cuts you off?

So the "game just changed in our favor" :rolleyes: Seriously though, how many GB can you use before it cuts you off?

It's okay, there are lots of Tmobile mvnos coming out who will be glad to poach SM customers away... Spot, Ptel gsm, Ultra, an unknown brand name that's supposed to be a non branded prepaid division of Tmobile and more...

I am new to these forums and also new to simple mobile. I wish i had read these forums before purchasing a simple mobile card 50 dollar plan. First i live in an area of NYC that gets close to half the max. I get about 15mb sec down on my galaxy note 2. After using the simple mobile plan for only 3 days i got a text saying my data was going to be cut off. I used my phone to stream a few youtube videos and see 20 minutes of netflix. I rely on data access as i am a small business who works in the field all day. I am not even waiting till the end of the month i am going with the the T-Mobile 70 dollar 5gb at 4g speed plan. I had this plan for over 2 years and watched videos and streamed music with no problems or warning letters. I also think that a complaint to the NY attorney General is in order for false advertising or at least misleading advertising. If you call the plan unlimited 4g its not really unlimited. This is the biggest rip off in the wireless industry.

Back