If Pageplus goes "poof" one day-- what's the quickest path to having my phone up and running again?

Ad Above Message List

Chicagoguy2

HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
Page Plus
I've been chugging along with PagePlus for many years and don't have much of an overview of different providers. If we were all to wake up one day and find out PagePlus was no more and we were just out in the cold.... what would my options be for getting up and running with a different provider quickly, ideally with the same phone and number? It's a Galaxy 10+ if that matters...

If it actually went poof with no notice you'd be shxx out of luck. Eventually we should get a notice and a time line to move or will be somehow transitioned to another TF brand.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
If it actually went poof with no notice you'd be shxx out of luck. Eventually we should get a notice and a time line to move or will be somehow transitioned to another TF brand.
Right, but what would I do on that day to get back to having phone service? Could I go to a Verizon store and buy a Sim to use with my current phone?

Uh, just remembered that I had to get an unlocked phone last time around.... so am I still limited to carriers using Verizon network?

Uh, just remembered that I had to get an unlocked phone last time around.... so am I still limited to carriers using Verizon network?

Possibly something here for you.

Verizon and T-Mob networks.

Thanks. How do I tell if my phone is e-sim compatible? Would porting my number be a problem if PPC was basically "crashed?"

Doubt if your S10 has a dual sim.

Dial *#06# It will show your IMEI # or #’s.

If PP is going down i’m sure they would give notice, and most likely give you the option to move to one of the other providers under their umbrella.

Just gave you an option and if it’s in your likings to move and not have to worry about it.

Compare the cost of plans.

mod edit: duel is walking 10 paces, turning around and shooting at your opponent. Dual is 2 of something. Not the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No provider just goes poof.

Touch base with the forums occasionally and you will have LOTS of time to port out any numbers you want to keep.

Use https://prepaidcompare.net/ to quickly find a new provider. Plug in your estimated talk/text/data usage, preferred network(s), then click on Find Plans.

Alternatives to check:
US Mobile - choice of the Verizon or the T-Mobile network
Tello - uses T-Mobile network
Mint Mobile - uses T-Mobile network

I suspect that if a carrier was about to shut down, you would receive at least 30-60 days notice in order to find a new carrier. The worst case that your phone # is lost in the process, request a new phone #.

Ring+ gave me 2 days notice. Page+ is owned by VZW so it'd have to go BK first.

What does Burger King (BK?) have to do with this?

Last edited:
Maybe so. I am not used to seeing that abbreviation in normal conversation. Just looked strange when I saw it in this thread.

Verizon owns it now and they didn't buy TF just to kill it.
They want the customer base so it makes sense that Page Plus customers will be pushed to either Verizon prepaid or more likely consolidated into one single Tracfone umbrella brand.

the problem with any phone company is if things go down quick you cannot get your number back since everyone will be trying to do the same thing .
I do not think that has ever happened , but it would be a mess if it did !

the problem with any phone company is if things go down quick you cannot get your number back since everyone will be trying to do the same thing .
There have been a couple of instances where a MVNO shut down on very short notice and customer who were caught unaware lost their numbers.
In 2016 T-Mobile MVNO PTel shut down on 15 days notice. I believe notice was given by email only and some users lost their numbers. See https://web.archive.org/web/2018101.../ptel-and-giv-mobile-reportedly-shutting.html

In 2014 Sprint MVNO PrePaYd shut down on 5 hours! notice and many customers lost their numbers. https://web.archive.org/web/2018101.../prepayd-wireless-shuts-down-with-little.html

There have been a couple of instances where a MVNO shut down on very short notice and customer who were caught unaware lost their numbers.
In 2016 T-Mobile MVNO PTel shut down on 15 days notice. I believe notice was given by email only and some users lost their numbers. See https://web.archive.org/web/2018101.../ptel-and-giv-mobile-reportedly-shutting.html

In 2014 Sprint MVNO PrePaYd shut down on 5 hours! notice and many customers lost their numbers. https://web.archive.org/web/2018101.../prepayd-wireless-shuts-down-with-little.html
Man going through the comments in the second link is a crazy reminder of how expensive prepaid used to be. $60 for 2GB is unthinkable now.

Man going through the comments in the second link is a crazy reminder of how expensive prepaid used to be.
Net10 was named like that because it was 10c per minute. Now you can buy from Tracfone 500 minutes for $10 (2c per minute). There are prepaid plans that for $5/month offer 500/500/500 or Unlimited Talk/Text and 500MB.

...Sunrocket comes to mind..

Back