iPhone SE 1st gen. unlocking

DaveCutler

HoFo Member
I have a brand new factory sealed iPhone SE 1st gen that was TF locked. I activated a line for this phone more than 60 days ago, so it should be automatically unlocked at this point. I never opened the box and plan to give it away as a gift while it is still factory sealed. The service plan on this phone will expire in a few days. My question is: given the service plan on the phone will be expired when the new owner turns it on for the first time, will the phone still be automatically unlocked by TF when the phone is turned on?

From what I figured out from info in this forum, the Unlock Status of an iPhone is stored in a database at Apple. When a carrier/provider unlocks an iPhone, that info is updated in Apple's database. When an iPhone is activated FOR ACTUAL USE, it's required to be on WiFi so it can "call home" and checks its unlock status. There are sites (free or fee) to check an iPhone's unlock status. After your iPhone was unlocked by TF, the info can be found on those sites.

Last edited:
Hold onto it... Could sell for 63k in 15 years...

You don't need to insert any SIM to setup the iPhone. Once setup, check settings and it should show no sim restrictions. Here a data point.

I may be totally wrong but I was under the impression to complete activation of a phone you had to make a call.

You can check on this site if the phone is unlocked.

sickw ( dot ) com

I may be totally wrong but I was under the impression to complete activation of a phone you had to make a call.

No, I've activated several phones without even turning it on.

Back