Metro Phone Deals

A poster in another carrier's subforum mentioned the phone deals that Metro has. I am quoting his post below and starting this thread so people can discuss their experiences and deals buying phones from Metro.

I'm out of the TF Rewards game, so no longer get free phones from TF. My current source for cheap unlocked phones is Metro-by-T-mobile. They sell good phones for unbelievably free/low prices. You only need to pay $40 for one month of service, then the phone is unlocked via WiFi 6 months later. I have plenty of phones to use in the mean time, so the 6-month wait doesn't bother me.

Here are some of the Metro deals available to order online (don't go to a Metro store because their salespeople will pile on a bunch of questionable charges, fees, taxes):

* Samsung A14 5G: FREE + $40.
* Samsung A15: FREE + $40.
* Moto G Power 5G (2023): FREE + $40.
* Moto G Stylus 5G (2023): FREE + $40 (available online off and on).
* Samsung A54: $50 + $40 (available online off and on).
* OnePlus Nord N30 5G: $50 + $40 (used to be $20 + $40).
* Motor Razr 2023 (sage color): $200 + $40.

I bought the A54, Nokia G400, Nord N30, Moto Razr. The first 3 had been unlocked, the Razr will be in July. ALL Metro phones can be used with T-mo after unlocked. Some (OnePlus N30, Moto Razr) are accepted by TF/Verizon. The A54 is accepted by AT&T.

Be aware that within the last few weeks Metro made significant changes to some of those deals. Some phones (especially iPhones) deals previously could be done only in Metro stores but not can be done online. Previously, most phones could use the $40 plan to qualify for the discount price, but now you have to select the $65 plan. Some phones that were free now cost some money.

This past week, I bought a Metro iPhone12 for $99 + $10 tax + $65 plan = $175, an iPhone11 for $0 + $65 plan = $65, a 2nd iPhone for $50 (they raised the price) + $5 tax + $30 plan (a 2nd line is only $30) = $85. They are pretty good deals. I'm not a fan of Apple products. I'll sell those phones after they get unlocked.

Read THIS THREAD on SlickDeals for the latest info.

They are pretty good deals. I'm not a fan of Apple products. I'll sell those phones after they get unlocked.

Do you feel there is any risk that the iPhones won't unlock in 180 days after just the initial month of service? My brother just told me he needs a new phone so this would be perfect for him. He will be in the US in July, then could take it back to the UK and just wait until it unlocks in September.

I just unlocked my Metro Moto G Stylus 5G 2023. $40 otd. Activated on 09.11.2023 & unlocked a couple days early on 03.08.2024. Quite a deal.

Do you feel there is any risk that the iPhones won't unlock in 180 days after just the initial month of service?

I haven't had any Metro iPhones unlocked yet, but I don't think they have a different policy than Android phones. I've had three Android Metro phones (Samsung A54, Nokia G400, OnePlus Nord N30) unlocked on Day 181 with just one month of service each. Another advantage of iPhones is that they're unlocked via an Apple database, so you don't have to take the phone out of the box and use the Network Unlock function in Settings to unlock it like with an Android phone. That's a benefit if you want to resell your iPhone in an unopened box.

I haven't had any Metro iPhones unlocked yet, but I don't think they have a different policy than Android phones. I've had three Android Metro phones (Samsung A54, Nokia G400, OnePlus Nord N30) unlocked on Day 181 with just one month of service each. Another advantage of iPhones is that they're unlocked via an Apple database, so you don't have to take the phone out of the box and use the Network Unlock function in Settings to unlock it like with an Android phone. That's a benefit if you want to resell your iPhone in an unopened box.

Can you elaborate ? I can unlock my sealed metro 12 on day 181 sealed in box?? . Just need to website -activate my account now??

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Can you elaborate ? I can unlock my sealed metro 12 on day 181 sealed in box?? . Just need to website -activate my account now??

I tried to send you a Private Message but your Inbox is full. Send me a PM when you've cleared it.

@hpham @robbyrobby

How do you activate the SIM sent with the phone if you don't open its box?

Does Metro **only** look at the device IMEI ?

I would think it would be easy for them to see that it's not an iPhone...

@hpham @robbyrobby

How do you activate the SIM sent with the phone if you don't open its box?.

The SIM is paired to the phone like the way it is with TF. Activate the phone and the SIM will be active.

afaik the box must be opened to insert the SIM,

the only way to activate the phone

Is that not the case?
The SIM is paired to the phone like the way it is with TF. Activate the phone and the SIM will be active.

afaik the box must be opened to insert the SIM,

the only way to activate the phone

Is that not the case?

Have you activated any Metro phone yet?

Click on ACTIVATE in the email that Metro sends you after your phone has been delivered (not everyone gets that email). Else, go to Metro web site, scroll down to the bottom, click on Activate under the Support heading, enter your Order #, last name of order, zip code to locate your order. Click on ACTIVATE. The line will be activated. You only need to put the SIM into the phone if you want to receive the security code sent by text whenever you want to log into your Metro account.

Thanks

go to Metro web site, scroll down to the bottom, click on Activate under the Support heading, enter your Order #, last name of order, zip code to locate your order. Click on ACTIVATE.
I did try that but got a "something went wrong" message.

Also tracking did not show delivered until the next day.

By which time the activation completed the old fashioned way, insert SIM, boot up, wait an hour or so for port to complete, reboot, done.

Aha, I never got any such email.

I ordered one phone in January, and three phones last week. Only the one ordered in January received that email, titled "Ready. Set. Activate" and has the ACTIVATE button in it. With the other phones, I went to Metro site, looked up the order, then activated.

Attachments

• Metro-Email-1.jpg
    Metro-Email-1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Metro-email-2.jpg
    Metro-email-2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 30

I recall from previous SD posts that it's recommended to make a few calls or texts or risk not fully unlocking. I don't recall any details as I'm not gifting or reselling.

Hey guys I got kicked into metro limbo . I was ordering the $99 iPhone using a Google voice # I unlocked from google voice via the $3. Ordering the metro was fine all the way up to even credit card went through . Finally on last page , I got the dreaded you need to call. I called and they said it’s a port issue and they will email me about it. But now I’m afraid the charge will go through and the order will never complete , and I’ll heed to fight for a refund

Finally on last page , I got the dreaded you need to call. I called and they said it’s a port issue and they will email me about it. But now I’m afraid the charge will go through and the order will never complete , and I’ll need to fight for a refund.

Don't worry. If your order didn't go through (you didn't get the screen that says "Your Order's Complete. Woohoo" and an order number), the pending charge will drop off or get credited by Metro. I had 4-5 failed orders trying to add more lines/phones to my existing accounts. Each time the order failed, Metro credited the pending charge quickly. With my Capital One, it's almost instantly. With my Chase card, it took about an hour for the pending charge to get removed.

Back