T-Mobile Moto E4 w/Tello SIM won't answer calls, works fine w/Tmobile SIM

dfriz

Carrier(s)
Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
Device(s)
Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
Motorola E4. Excellent condition, no cracks, dents or other evidence of dropping, etc.
I have gone through the ringing, do not disturb and time out settings. Can't find any setting picks for deep sleep or wake up issues.

With the Tello SIM: Phone display on, rings. On standby < 30 minutes, rings but after 1 hour or so when phone goes to sleep it won't ring.
Installed the Tello SIM into a Moto G5 and a Samsung J7. Works perfectly.
Installed a Tmobile SIM, works perfectly.

If it was a VOLTE problem I would think it would not receive calls under any condition.

I hope I can find an answer, it's a pretty nice phone and the right size.

If VoLTE isn't working on the E4 calls would go over 3g which doesn't work well inside buildings. Unless you are close to the tower the signal will likely be considerably weaker. Some T-Mobile MVNO's don't' get VoLTE on phones that otherwise DO work with native T-Mobile.

Same issue with the Moto G4 Play on Red Pocket GSMT (No VoLTE). If I stick a Liberty Wireless sim in that same Moto G4 Play it DOES get VoLTE.

Last edited:
Motorola E4. Excellent condition, no cracks, dents or other evidence of dropping, etc.
I have gone through the ringing, do not disturb and time out settings. Can't find any setting picks for deep sleep or wake up issues.

With the Tello SIM: Phone display on, rings. On standby < 30 minutes, rings but after 1 hour or so when phone goes to sleep it won't ring.
Installed the Tello SIM into a Moto G5 and a Samsung J7. Works perfectly.
Installed a Tmobile SIM, works perfectly.

If it was a VOLTE problem I would think it would not receive calls under any condition.

I hope I can find an answer, it's a pretty nice phone and the right size.
I would love to know which model e4 it is because moto made carrier specific models.

(My Sprint e4 doesn't have volte, and i bought it from Tello when they were a Sprint mvno)

So it could be a volte issue. One way to tell is if volte shows up in settings.

If you don't see volte options in settings, or lte doesn't stay on the screen during a call - than its not a model with volte and would use 3g voice - which has a much smaller coverage footprint than LTE and could be the reason calls are not making it through.

Sent from my S6003L using HoFo mobile app

This was a Tmobile phone originally. Both Tmo & Tello said it was OK on their website. I could just get another newer phone, but what fun would that be?

Back