Motorola: General ringtone info

Qube

Carrier(s)
Fido / Microcell
Device(s)
Ericsson T28w
Ringtones on Motorola Phones - How to

After a little bit of work, I found these...

1. Motorola Ringtone Maker: HERE
Need this only if you want to create your own tones with an onscreen keyboard...

2. Motorola Ringtone Checksum Gen: HERE
This will create a full ringtone SMS with checksum you need to send to a Motorola phone...

3. Nokia to Motorola Ringtone Converter: HERE
We all know the massive database of Nokia tones... now use them on your Motorola phone!

4. ICQ: ICQ SMS supports most major carriers. Use this to send your SMS if you cannot find a clean web gateway.

Questions?

i can't seem to convert ringtones into the motorola v60 format. i cannot enter keys like +, -, 4

i think it is only limited to one octave....not sure.

any ideas qube?

AFAIK, Motorola ringtones are limited to one octave.

how can i enter them into my v60? it seems to be a different format than other motorola phones

Someone; please help me.

Wht do I need to make ringtones for the t193?
ANd how do I make the tones, or what do I do with them after composing them with the rington maker?

Thanks for any replies.

Qube,

Is this how it is done:
1) I get (or create) a Motorola Ring Tone
2) Run it through the SMS Checksum (using link you provided)
3) E-mail this to my phone

Then what? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I just want to make sure I am not making a really obvious mistake.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

No, not email. You need to SMS to your phone. You can do this quite easily via ICQ or your provider's own gateway. However, in my case, Fido charges 10c per SMS from their webpage so I do it through ICQ, which is free.

Thanks, that worked perfectly. It turns out that e-mailing also works (I use Rogers - used their port and also e-mailed the tone directly - both versions arrived as "Music tones").

Has anyone actually discovered a tone that sounds good? i tried several but could not say I was overly impressed with any of them. I was hoping the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme would sound good but I could not get it to work with the T193. I am not sure what I was doing wrong, everything else I found on the web worked after I put it through the Motorola Checksum generator.

Again thanks for the complete instructions, I would never have figured that out for myself.

Chris

You're welcome. Anyhow, you need to remember that if you are converting tones from other sources... Motorola phones support only one octave (unlike Nokia with three)... so this may be the reason for tones not sounding 'right'.

the V60c actually supports 3 octaves. It says in the manual that you change the octave by pressing the "1" key (once for Octave 1, twice for 2, thrice for 3).

PS Hi everyone. this is my first post at this forum.

Yeah, the 60t and I would assume the 60g supports 3 octaves as well. And the checksum gen does not work for the v60 line.

Check this site out

http://www.iguanamobile.com

It's a cool site to get ring tones for my T193g. Motorola has a similar store for ring tones but charges $1 a tone. This site is about $.20 per tone which is not bad since you get the first tone for free. Just wanted to share this with folks that don't have the time to compose their own tones. Like me =)

Don;)

HELP please.........

I'm very new to cell phone stuff since I dont really use it much nor I really care about it(nowadays anyway.......)so I dont really know much about the new features like SMS...etc. Anyway, my dad got me a Motorola V60G and since I'm stuck with it(cant sell it.......he'd be mad for sure) so I might as well try to enojoy it....like making my own ringtone.

I have used the ringtone maker from previous post.(great link, thanks so much!) and I dont know how to send it to my cell now. Could anyone help me out? I've tried to use fido's but it doesnt seem to let you send your own ringtone nor support motorola cells. I tried the ICQ SMS and got nothing........if nothing work......I guess I'll have to enter it on the phone then.....(it'd be painful since I got everything except manual from my dad......) Thanks in advance!

since i have a v100, what version of of the keypad notes should i use the v66, t193???

Re: Ringtones on Motorola Phones - How to

I have the Motorola v120c. I have been trying to add one of those nifty ringtones that all the Nokia's have. I found some Motorola converters but it seems that the v120c had a different format than the converters spit out. It has notes in the form of C, D, E, F, G, A, and B. There are three note lengths 1, 2, or 3. Note sharps in the form of # or a symbol that looks like a little b. And octaves in the form q, h, and w. I think the q means quick, the h hard, and w withdrawn but I dunno really. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a converter or website out there that supports this format because when I tried some of the other Motorola converters it spit out a different format. It was a whole bunch of numbers (some that you can't even input in my phone like 0 or anything higher than 3), no sharps, octaves, notes, or note lengths. I've been looking for one of those nifty ringtones for my phone for half a week or so now and haven't been able to find anything that works :confused:. Is the ringtone format on my phone maybe too new that any converter converts to it yet? I dunno, I'm gettin' a little surprised that I can't find anything out there:eek: !

You've got it a little backwards. The octaves are denoted by the 1-2-3, and the note length is denoted by the q-h-w. Q-Quarter note, H-Half note, and W-Whole note.

The way they designed this composer is good in the fact that it allows you to easier take a song from sheet music form and make it into a ringtone. Unfortunately, they left out one crucial thing. The tempo. If there was an adjustment for tempo it would be the best ringtone composer out there. Also, one more downside is the length that they allow for the song, it's very short. Hopefully they'll build on this composer and make it into what it can, and should be.

ndeans said:
Hopefully they'll build on this composer and make it into what it can, and should be.

If there was to be an update would it come as a software update? Does anyone still know if there is anything out there that will convert to this type of format?

92 Teg-B18A said:
Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a converter or website out there that supports this format because when I tried some of the other Motorola converters it spit out a different format. It was a whole bunch of numbers (some that you can't even input in my phone like 0 or anything higher than 3), no sharps, octaves, notes, or note lengths.

Check out this thread: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10715

You can download a ringtone converter that converts RTTTL (Ring Tone Text Transfer Language) ringtones to Motorola keypresses for the Motorola V60, V66, 120C, 270C, P280.

Don't worry if you see a bunch of numbers. It's just the key press sequence and the notes will come up normal on your screen.

Here is an example of a key press ringtone (numbers only) converted using the Coding Workshop Ringtone Converter.
Original RTTTL format:
Nokring:d=8,o=5,b=180:4g,p,b,p,c#6,p,e6,4d6,p,b,p,g,p,e,c#,c#,c#,4d
Converted Motorola keypress format:
11400 440 220 440 11122270 440 111330 300 440 220 440 40 440 330 22270 22270 22270 300

The "11400" means press "1" twice, press "4" once, press "0" twice. Note that when you press "1" twice you get a "2" on your screen; when you press "4" one time you get a "G"; when you press "0" two times you get an "H".

To enter the complete ringtone enter the rest of the notes in the same manner. When you complete keying the ringtone above your screen will show the complete notes as: 2GhRqBqRq3C#qRq3EqDhRqBqRqGqRqEqC#qC#qC#qDh

Recognize the tune? I got it from http://www.ringtones4all.com/ From this website you can select FREE ringtones in the Nokring format and convert them to Motorola format.

See the thread started by Tatewaki at: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10715

More about the ringtone converter and where to download:
http://www.codingworkshop.com/ringtones/about.html

The ringtone converter will convert RTTTL ringtones (which are pretty easy to find) to Motorola keypress format. The trial version will convert the first 15 notes of every ringtone you convert. I was able to get a free unlock key for letting them know that the software also works on the 270C. I think it's $5 to register but if you're happy with 15 notes per ringtone then...

Hope this helps. It took me a little while to figure it out.

What a useful thread. I'm stickying it so others can benefit from it.

Back