Motorola KRZR K1m: EvDO DUN How-To

ken830

New member
Joined
Feb 10, 2003
Messages
284
Location
San Francisco and San Jose, CA
Carrier(s)
Sprint
Device(s)
HTC Touch Diamond (CDMA)
Rules-For-Using and Notes-About This Guide

  • Read carefully.
  • Don't ask me how to get QPST.
  • You're responsible for your own actions -- Editing the Service fields of the phone is inherently risky.
  • You're responsible for your own actions -- By connecting to Verizon's EvDO network with the phone tethered requires a premium service. If you're not paying for this service, you are violating the Terms of Service agreement.
  • Please use this information responsibly and if you're going to violate your contract, at least do so sparingly. Don't ruin it for everyone else. My advice: Use this only if you have no other means of connecting to the Internet and only in certain emergency situations. Log-in, check your mail, check a few low-bandwidth websites, and get the hell off the network! Don't draw attention to yourself and this workaround. If it becomes a widespread problem, Verizon will find a way to STOP us.
  • I spent a lot of time experimenting, capturing screenshots, and writing this up. Please don't be rude and complain if I got something wrong. Just politely point it out. Thanks.
  • A lot of the information and knowledge I have came from other HoFo members. Many of you know know who these people are. One individual worth mention is Mark Venture. He has been of great inspiration when it comes to writing proper guides that organize and consolidate important information. This guide is a culmination of information from all sources (too many to name). This method relates closely with Mark's NoPapDun guide, which includes information from many other members in the EvDO DUN Works on E815 FW 01.1E.00! thread. Thank you to everyone involved.

What you'll need:

  • Verizon Wireless MotoKRZR K1m (Or almost any CDMA 1xRTT-EvDO phone)
  • Microsoft Windows PC with USB port
  • Proper USB Cable (USB-A to Mini 5-pin)
  • Motorola USB Drivers (http://developer.motorola.com/?path=1.2.6.30)
  • Qualcomm QPST v.2.7 Build 215 (not Build 91)


Step 1 - Set-up Host PC

On the Windows PC, install QPST and the Motorola USB drivers.


Step 2 - Connect Phone

Connect the K1m to the PC using the USB Cable. It's best to use a powered port. The phone should be recognized as a "Motorola K1m/L7c" device. If the phone is not recognized automatically, cancel the new hardware installation window, disconnect, wait a few seconds, and re-connect the phone. If drivers are not installed automatically, direct Windows to the proper drivers installed by the Motorola USB Driver installation.

Before moving on, check to make sure the phone is recognized by the PC, proper drivers are installed, and the phone is in the correct mode. Do this by checking Device Manager for "Motorola USB Modem" under the "Modems" section.

1hs8.jpg



Step 3 - Start QPST

Start QPST Configuration and you should see your phone listed as a SURF device. If not, click the "Add New Port..." button to add the proper virtual serial port. If you don't know which port to add, check the properties for the "Motorola USB Modem" in Device Manager.

2oy7.jpg


Now, you're ready to start. Select "SERVICE PROGRAMMING" from the "Start Clients" menu to start the QPST Service Programming application.

3my5.jpg


You'll be prompted to select a phone. Choose the phone from the list and click OK.

4jx0.jpg



Step 4 - Using QPST Service Programming Application

You'll see the Service Programming application window with a bunch of tabs. All the fields are empty. To fill them, click the Read from Phone button.

5pr9.jpg


A small dialog window will appear to ask for the phone's 6-digit security code. By default, this code is 000000. Enter the code and click OK.

6le1.jpg


Assuming you go the code right, the Service Programming application will proceed to load all the fields from your phone. There's lots of ineresting stuff here! You can explorer each of the tabs, but let's stick with the task-at-hand and leave the other stuff to other threads. You may need to click the right and left arrows to see more of the tabs.

0ol4.jpg


The tab we're interested in is the Mobile IP "M.IP" tab. Here, you should see one profile in the "User Profiles" section. The user-name in the "nai" field is used to log-on to mobile web and other on-phone access to the EvDO network. And as you might have guess, the "tethered nai" field contains the user-name used to log-on to the EvDO network when the phone is tethered. the dun.vzw3g.com user is a special account that is only activated when you pay for broadband access service.

7kf5.jpg


Let's move on. Select the profile, and click the Edit... button. Delete the "DUN." part of the "Tethered NAI" field. Click OK.

8pu1.jpg


Now click "Write to Phone" and exit QPST. You're done.
 
Cool, that is the same as outlined in -> How to enable EVDO DUN on ANY EVDO capable phone in 10 easy steps! that didn't work on the E815, V3C, and V3M... which is why we had to edit the NVM_Factory File...

Now on a somewhat related note....

PLEASE NOTE: For those using the drivers from the MOTODEV Web site -> http://developer.motorola.com/?path=1.2.6.30

Please also read -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/DriverConfusion.htm

You should expect problems when using BitPim, MPT and possibly QPST as those drivers make use of the USBSER.SYS file that is a core component of Windows. More info see -> http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=975595
 
Last edited:
651 / 69 kbps ·or· 79.5 / 8.4 kb/sec
Compared to the average we see from myvzw.com:
· download is 12% better, upload is 29% worse

These were my results after finishing the above. Note that I did have to go to the other links Mark lists and do the network connection setup part (ie, about encryption and stuff) listed at the bottom.

Nice to have for emergencies.
 
My question is how to get EVDO speeds via USB teathering. When ever I would teather with MPT, I would connect at 220k. How do you create a dialup connection with a speed potential that is as fast as USB?
 
Thanks for this info! I was able to get 581kbps down and 123kbps up on speakeasy's speed tests with EVDO on.
 
ken830 said:
...I've never read a single thread in the LG forums before... :)
I didn't either until I got my chocolate :silly:
 
bsilvertab said:
My question is how to get EVDO speeds via USB teathering. When ever I would teather with MPT, I would connect at 220k. How do you create a dialup connection with a speed potential that is as fast as USB?

220k-what? I'm not sure what your question is.

Here are some approximate real-life figures:
  • Verizon EVDO Rev 0. data rates are around 400-700 kbps (Theoretical is 2.4576 Mbps)
  • USB 2.0 data rates are around 200 Mbps (Theorietical limit is 480 Mbps)

USB is more than capable of handling the full EVDO bandwidth requirements... Depending on Motorola's Bluetooth implementation, a Bluetooth-tethered KRZR might see the bottleneck at the Bluetooth connection, though.



thejokell said:
Thanks for this info! I was able to get 581kbps down and 123kbps up on speakeasy's speed tests with EVDO on.

You're welcome! Those are impressive speeds!


Mark_Venture said:
I didn't either until I got my chocolate :silly:

:lol: I can't believe you got an LG... In my head, Mark Venture = V710... Forever...
 
It was a gift...;)
 
ken830 said:
:lol: I can't believe you got an LG... In my head, Mark Venture = V710... Forever...
Hey, come on, I got my E815 in April, or was it May?? :silly:

Btw,the Chocolate, Music Essentials Kit and 256meg TF were a Free Gift from the Verizon Wireless customer council.... and it so meets my needs as a phone, that I used it three entire weeks and put it on my shelf! (would have used it less, but the initial battery was bad, so I used it some more after getting the replacement) Even with the v4 firmware (that includes speaker phone)... the Chocolate still sits on the shelf... My brother BROKE his phone in TWO... and I made him go buy a new phone... I would NOT even give him the chocolate... :hehehe:
 
ken830 said:
Haha! Do you pronounce "gift" like "bribe"? The LG guys bribed you to include the chocolate on your site, huh? :hehehe:
Well, if it was a bribe.. they got more than they bargined for.. see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/ChocolateProblems.htm :silly:

However... Blackberry Pearl info coming soon :hehehe: Free pearl Courtesy of our T-Mobile rep..
 
My Questions is how do you typically connect? What software? With MPT after connecting I get the typical windows xp bubble that says I am connected at 220.0 k or something like that. If you setup a regular dialup connection though xp i can only set the highest speed to 115k. help!
 
bsilvertab said:
My Questions is how do you typically connect? What software? With MPT after connecting I get the typical windows xp bubble that says I am connected at 220.0 k or something like that. If you setup a regular dialup connection though xp i can only set the highest speed to 115k. help!
What speed to you get? Not port speed, but real speed. You need to go to something like www.dslreports.com/stest to find that out.
 
Nevermind-

I am getting 553/89k from speakeasys servers from seattle with Alltels new EDVO that is turned on, but not officially launched in Grand Rapids. I did have to power cycle the phone once because the connection crapped out. Not bad speeds at all. Thanks for the help.
 
bsilvertab said:
...I get the typical windows xp bubble that says I am connected at 220.0 k or something like that. If you setup a regular dialup connection though xp i can only set the highest speed to 115k. help!
bsilvertab said:
Nevermind-

I am getting 553/89k from speakeasys servers from seattle with Alltels new EDVO that is turned on
Yeah, most people see that Pop-up from windows and assume that is their "actual connect speed" when its not..

There are two parts.. Port speed (speed at which your PC is connected to your modem), and connection speed (speed at which your Modem is connected to the REMOTE modem)...

When your "modem" makes a connection with another modem, a connect string (result code) is reported which contains that Connection Speed.

In the DOS days, that exact connection message could/would be reported by the PC's software.

In the "windows era", the modem drivers contain a list of "standard" connection strings... If that EXACT connection string is NOT included in the modem drivers, then the PORT SPEED is reported by windows upon connection.

The USBMOT2000.INF (makes windows see your phone as Moto USB Modem), doesn't contain all that many strings (open it with Notepad and you'll see)... :befuddled so... the PORT Speed is usually reported by the Windows' pop-up bubble which says you are connected. :disappoin

So, for anyone else trying this who says they are getting "low" speeds.. Please make sure to use the speed test web sites FIRST... something like -> http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed
 
What is EVDO DUN? how is this different than just buying evdo/vcast from verizon? Can someone explain for a newbie?
 
BMRUD said:
What is EVDO DUN? how is this different than just buying evdo/vcast from verizon? Can someone explain for a newbie?
EVDO vs 1X see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/V710_EN.htm

DUN = using your phone as a modem to connect up.

Vcast = Verizon's multimedia service for video clips, etc.. and Vcast REQUIRES using the EVDO data network.. so there is no "EVDO VCast" vs "1x Vcast"

See also -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/DUN.htm
 
Mark_Venture said:
Yeah, most people see that Pop-up from windows and assume that is their "actual connect speed" when its not..

There are two parts.. Port speed (speed at which your PC is connected to your modem), and connection speed (speed at which your Modem is connected to the REMOTE modem)...

When your "modem" makes a connection with another modem, a connect string (result code) is reported which contains that Connection Speed.

In the DOS days, that exact connection message could/would be reported by the PC's software.

In the "windows era", the modem drivers contain a list of "standard" connection strings... If that EXACT connection string is NOT included in the modem drivers, then the PORT SPEED is reported by windows upon connection.

The USBMOT2000.INF (makes windows see your phone as Moto USB Modem), doesn't contain all that many strings (open it with Notepad and you'll see)... :befuddled so... the PORT Speed is usually reported by the Windows' pop-up bubble which says you are connected. :disappoin

So, for anyone else trying this who says they are getting "low" speeds.. Please make sure to use the speed test web sites FIRST... something like -> http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

Now I have a question since I am from the old school, so old that I tested the 9600bps modems in 1985/1986 before there was a standard. Telebit with the 18,000bps PEP (Packetized Ensemble Protocol), USRobotics with their 9600bps HST (High Speed Transmission), Hayes with their 9600bps v96 and Concord with the 9600bps v32 which became the official CCITT now ITU standard. In the past, the port speed was always faster than the actual connection speed since one would lock the port at 115200 providing you had a quality 16550 buffered UART. However, with regards to the Moto phones, if the port speed is 115.2kbps or even 230kbps, wouldn't this actually limit the speed of the data transmission between the computer and the phone since it will have the full speed from VZW to the phone but the port speed will be the bottleneck as the port speed is supposed to be the maximum data rate it will allow between the PC and the phone.
 
Back
Top