Motorola RAZR maxx Ve: Let's start hacking...

luiset83 said:
I guess people did think of it after all, heh. I wasn't aware. I guess this one slipped by VZW, indeed.

Over Bluetooth, it's just /my_ringers. I put them there, and they stayed. This corresponds to /a/brew/mod/my_ringers on P2kCommander. They can indeed be set as ringtones, 'cause I tried with a couple of them... I have one set as my ringer (Banana Phone, hah) and another one for the g/f. So, at least for the Maxx Ve, this does work. I haven't tried doing this with a USB cable over MPT yet. Someone else w/ the Maxx is requested to try, and post back. :)
What folders do you see via bluetooth when using OBEX FTP?

I don't know it if will work using MPT... does MPT have a Maxx Ve profile that has MultiMedia Studio present? Based on another thread, I thought it didn't.

OPP phone to phone puts them in sounds.

Let the Games begin - Sounds like a mission

Mark_Venture said:
If I had the time... I'd say yes... But as it stands right now... I don't... Too much going on in my life and at work to be able to have free time to devote to hacking the phone...
OK, I just got the Maxx and flipped it [the perfect $400 phone] to my perfect friend, KBMan for detailed analysis and hacking. You called him while he was at my house. Here is the short list:

1. MPT with MMS.
2. Move all kinds of media to the phone, including ringers, pics, video.
3. Test the Synch on a PC for contacts and calendar. (PhoneArena said it had SyncML, but they were wrong on the display.)
4. Test the PB transfer on the BMW and Lexus, to test the Synch and OPP for contacts that way.
5. Try MSU to see if users don't need to pirate PST.
6. Try the other usual programs for file transfer, P2K, BitPim, etc, to get inner and outer wallpapers and stuff.
7. See if Quicktime Pro can make a decent video in 3G2 format or whatever looks nice on the 320 display and if the UI will let you rotate it.
8. See how the VCard works and what can be pushed over to the phone or from it.
9. DUN.
10. Vibe then ring.
11. MP3 music & ringers

KB, anything we have forgotten?

Mark_Venture said:
What folders do you see via bluetooth when using OBEX FTP?

I don't know it if will work using MPT... does MPT have a Maxx Ve profile that has MultiMedia Studio present? Based on another thread, I thought it didn't.

I see some of the numbered folders that are under /brew/mod, including the ones that another poster mentioned where the wallpapers/pictures go, and my_ringers. I believe that was it. If you put a wallpaper in the 'wallpapers' folder (the number is posted earlier in this thread), it gets copied to the pictures folder w/ no adverse effects.

I'm not sure about MPT either, but presumably one of the phone drivers/profiles would work w/ the Maxx.

Last edited:
wnrussell said:
OK, I just got the Maxx and flipped it [the perfect $400 phone] to my perfect friend, KBMan for detailed analysis and hacking. You called him while he was at my house. Here is the short list:

1. MPT with MMS.
2. Move all kinds of media to the phone, including ringers, pics, video.
3. Test the Synch on a PC for contacts and calendar. (PhoneArena said it had SyncML, but they were wrong on the display.)
4. Test the PB transfer on the BMW and Lexus, to test the Synch and OPP for contacts that way.
5. Try MSU to see if users don't need to pirate PST.
6. Try the other usual programs for file transfer, P2K, BitPim, etc, to get inner and outer wallpapers and stuff.
7. See if Quicktime Pro can make a decent video in 3G2 format or whatever looks nice on the 320 display and if the UI will let you rotate it.
8. See how the VCard works and what can be pushed over to the phone or from it.
9. DUN.
10. Vibe then ring.
11. MP3 music & ringers

KB, anything we have forgotten?

MSU does not support the MAXX as of yet, already tried that.

Also try to get the ringer volume to show up as a number instead of high med low etc..

luiset83 said:
I see some of the numbered folders that are under /brew/mod, including the ones that another poster mentioned where the wallpapers/pictures go, and my_ringers. I believe that was it. If you put a wallpaper in the 'wallpapers' folder (the number is posted earlier in this thread), it gets copied to the pictures folder w/ no adverse effects.

I'm not sure about MPT either, but presumably one of the phone drivers/profiles would work w/ the Maxx.
Yes. They are all numbered folders under Brew. KB is the man. I gave him my whole new phone. Total trust in this Forum.

Oh, MSU worked like a charm. PST was cranky, it worked too.

Ok for MPT... (the following were done with MPT V4.36c, USB Cable, MotoDev v2.62 drivers, and an un-seem edited Maxx Ve)

MPT will autodetect as a Ve.

It has icons for the following...
Phone Book - Tested... works
Calendar - Tested... works
Text Message - not tested
internet connection - Not tested.

Inside Calendar/Contacts.. using the Backup/Restore... STILL TESTING!!! Backing up creates only 1 contact to a Vcard (.VCF) and 1 calendar appointment (as a .VCS)... unlike what working with my V710, E815, V3C do where it makes a Comma Separated Value (.CSV) file.

Inside Calendar/Contacts.. using the Backup/Restore... STILL TESTING!!! Sync works, but we had some contacts with a phone number filled into Outlook's MAIN NUMBER field... MPT was not setup with any field mappings of Outlook Mail NUMBER field to any field on the phone.. so it failed on those few contacts.

To Get WORKING MultiMedia Studio...

MPT v4.36c manually configure as K1MM
(File copies were tested in BOTH directions i.e. from PC to Phone, and From Phone to PC)...
Video's - use File Transfer studio to copy to 10890 folder
Ring Tones - rename .QCP.. use File Transfer Studio to MY_RINGERS
Pictures - use File Transfer studio to copy to 10888 folder

Thanks to luiset83 for the rename tip!!

NOTE: Between some of the tests, we had to unplug the phone, power off, power on, then re-connect in order for the phone to respond

more to come...

Last edited:
outside graphic

Using P2KCommander 3.35 (Pst 7.26 open in back ground) we overwrote a/mobile/verizon.gif with an edited one...

File settings are...
120x160 96dpi
8bit
gif89

and it worked...

A picture taken with an E815 ->
042907_2125.jpg
(we added a little GRAY below the Verizon logo)

Last edited:
Its a better picture of my e815 in the reflection on the front LCD than it is of the Maxx!! :D

Oh well...

The Moto UI Style Ring Control seem edit (offset 7B bits 2&7) does NOT work.

That's all for now so that KBMAN can go eat!!

wnrussell said:
Yes. They are all numbered folders under Brew. KB is the man. I gave him my whole new phone. Total trust in this Forum.

Oh, MSU worked like a charm. PST was cranky, it worked too.

It must be said loud and clear that this was a very generous act of wnrussell to make this offer.

Either or both of us could have felt uncomfortable about this sort of arrangement but his attitude is wonderful and set us both at ease.

Thanks bigtime!

It is a beautiful phone and with a little work can only become even better...hopefully!

kbman said:
It must be said loud and clear that this was a very generous act of wnrussell to make this offer.
:buddies:

Absoloutely!! Thanks to WMRUSSELL!!

Mark_Venture said:
Using QPST, the Tethered NAI filed on the M.IP tab is filled in, which implies you can use DUN.. As outlined in -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1018585

NOTE: We haven't tested this yet. Just making a note that it is there.
Tested yesterday... I actually became annoyed 'cause it was disconnecting a few seconds after it connected, but I think it was due because my other internet connection was active at the same time, after I disconnected from my LAN connection and I had it send a few packet streams it stayed active and alive. I also saw confirmation of another poster w/ the Maxx that said EVDO tethering worked.

During this test, I even switched back to my Alltel flashed L7c, and I experienced the same issue of disconnecting every few seconds. I knew nothing had changed since I modified it to work w/ DUN, so it was clearly user error of having the regular internet connection up at the time of dialing up with the phone, apparently. Not sure why that'd happen, but, yeah... So for the next time anyone says their phone is disconnecting w/ DUN after a few seconds, the response is to disable the other internet connection before attempting to tether.

Last edited:
Mark_Venture said:
:buddies:
Absoloutely!! Thanks to wnrussell!!
A fun day. Turned my brand new phone over to KB, who I had just met for the first time an hour before. Last week, I bought a SLVR for my daughter - the filesystem seems much like we are used to seeing. There seems to be a 2742 that we can work with, according to my new friend.

wnrussell said:
A fun day. Turned my brand new phone over to KB, who I had just met for the first time an hour before. Last week, I bought a SLVR for my daughter - the filesystem seems much like we are used to seeing. There seems to be a 2742 that we can work with, according to my new friend.

It might be worth to test if the .MP3 -> .QCP renaming also works on the VZW UI K1m's and L7c's to transfer ringtones via Bluetooth/MPT. According to Mark_Venture, it doesn't for the VZW UI V3c/m's.

We tested an OPP BT transfer with Humpa's favorite ship chime from a Bell E815 to the V3c. The QCP came through, and the MP3 did not.

Last edited:
luiset83 said:
It might be worth to test if the .MP3 -> .QCP renaming also works on the VZW UI K1m's and L7c's to transfer ringtones via Bluetooth/MPT. According to Mark_Venture, it doesn't for the VZW UI V3c/m's.
Actually the Verizon UI V3C/V3M's don't have BT OBEX... they have OPP for vCard only.

The V3C couldn't properly make use of QCP files as ring tones, either emailed to the phone, or placed on the phone...

the LG enV has OBEX for user generated content... like pix and sounds... this trick of renaming as .QCP doesn't work on it.

Btw, IIRC, the K1M has OPP for Image and Vcard only (i.e. not sounds), and no OBEX FT.

Last edited:
if you rename the mp3 to .qcp and then transfer over BT or MPT do you still need to delete the mytones.db?

We deleted the 2 mytones related files because the result was at no risk. Didn't have a chance to try it without doing that. Maybe tomorrow.

MPT is next on the hit parade. Reports are saying that configuring as E815m work? Doubting that MMS works w/o a seem edit.

Back