New Fees for Prepaid

in store Metro has lately been waiving the fees on actual qualified device upgrades but not for swaps of used devices, etc.

these are the most hated fees by customers, disliked far more than the activation fee on new account activations.

i suspect this is about cracking down on 'gaming' where a new line is setup for a device discount and than the device moved to an existing line to use as an upgrade and the new line ends up cancelled or abandoned.

in store Metro has lately been waiving the fees on actual qualified device upgrades but not for swaps of used devices, etc.

these are the most hated fees by customers, disliked far more than the activation fee on new account activations.

i suspect this is about cracking down on 'gaming' where a new line is setup for a device discount and than the device moved to an existing line to use as an upgrade and the new line ends up cancelled or abandoned.

Totally—I could see it making some sense for Metro to prevent gaming (Cricket handles it by making you buy 2-3 months of the $60 plan at a time for heavily-discounted devices), but T-Mobile prepaid rarely has any device deals (the free device with $100 refill is about the only one that comes up from time to time and works on existing lines.)

Last edited:
That's quite a premium to pay for their service. That would make me steer clear.

Yes definitely a step further away from the old attractive Uncarrier positioning.

There are ways to disincentivize gaming without pissing off the 97% of your customers that are innocent normies

Stoopid move, just greed

Yes definitely a step further away from the old attractive Uncarrier positioning.

There are ways to disincentivize gaming without pissing off the 97% of your customers that are innocent normies

Stoopid move, just greed

Yup, especially as there's often nothing to game with this particular service (no port-in deals, no phone discounts). I think about the only "bad" behavior that T-Mobile Prepaid is commonly used for—at least according to here and Reddit—is being an easy port-in-port-out place if you're needing to move from one AT&T- or Verizon-based service to another. Even then, it was always a bit more expensive than landing on some of the various MVNOs anyway.

Totally—I could see it making some sense for Metro to prevent gaming (Cricket handles it by making you buy 2-3 months of the $60 plan at a time for heavily-discounted devices), but T-Mobile prepaid rarely has any device deals (the free device with $100 refill is about the only one that comes up from time to time and works on existing lines.)

this could be launching in advance of new device promos and would allow them to go $ 25 lower on advertised price than they would otherwise

being an easy port-in-port-out place if you're needing to move from one AT&T- or Verizon-based service to another.
I have Google Fi Flex, and I can spin up new numbers for porting out all day

costs 50¢ per day long as its active

free to "park" 90 days at a time

I do this for F&F regularly, sometime strangers for a small fee

risky if they use data though at $10/GB

I guess I ported in to T-Mob just in time. Once the updated data on the connect plans were announced that $15 plan looked like a no-brainier for my usage. And it was much easier than last time I looked at connect a year or two ago, when they wanted to charge me to send me a physical sim and that was juuuust enough friction for me to not do anything.

I was thinking of refilling my account with, say, those Target deals that are always on (or buying cards at Kroger and maxing out my fuel points) but if there's a fee to do that I might just let my credit card take the autopay every 30 days and be done with it.

The service is great, although checking usage seems like it's a web-only thing. Every chat interaction takes a minute while they look me up and say, "oh, you're prepaid, yeah if you have any questions call in." Same for the app that you're directed towards in carrier settings -- download it, install it, log in, see the "We can't he'p ya, you're prepaid or business, use the web!" which actually is not bad. 2 steps forward, etc.

I guess I ported in to T-Mob just in time. Once the updated data on the connect plans were announced that $15 plan looked like a no-brainier for my usage. And it was much easier than last time I looked at connect a year or two ago, when they wanted to charge me to send me a physical sim and that was juuuust enough friction for me to not do anything.

I was thinking of refilling my account with, say, those Target deals that are always on (or buying cards at Kroger and maxing out my fuel points) but if there's a fee to do that I might just let my credit card take the autopay every 30 days and be done with it.

The service is great, although checking usage seems like it's a web-only thing. Every chat interaction takes a minute while they look me up and say, "oh, you're prepaid, yeah if you have any questions call in." Same for the app that you're directed towards in carrier settings -- download it, install it, log in, see the "We can't he'p ya, you're prepaid or business, use the web!" which actually is not bad. 2 steps forward, etc.
I've always added my refill pins online via my account. The new T-Life app probably lets you refill, too. Wouldn't think that there's any fee associated with that.
Also, you can dial *233 to refill, though I've never tried it.(Looks like it goes to Customer Care, so probably $$)

There are self-service codes to check your data and balance: Dial #932# (#WEB#) and #225# (#BAL#)
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/self-service-short-codes

Last edited:
Dialing *233 seems like probably not the way I'd want to do it (bad memories of dialing for airtime on TracFone circa 2009). I guess I'll just pick up a pin sometime and see if there are any fees when I load my account.

There's no fee to use Target refill cards, just get your refill card and use the T-Mobile prepaid website to add it to your account.

Ok! Just topped up the account for the first time via a couple Target refills. No hidden fees at least there.

I put someone on Tello (Tmobile network) 3 weeks ago, no additional fees, just paid the $2 for the SIM and $6 for 100 min. and 1 gig of data for 30 days.

Back