new FreedomPOP (GSMA) free plan SIM spotted at target

So apparently you can't port directly from Red Pocket to Freedom Pop. Anyone know of a cheap ATT/VZW intermediary to use?

Although I can't guarantee it.... the restriction probably doesn't rule out a T-Mobile MVNO as an intermediary, but a specific restriction about moving from Red Pocket to FreedomPop, or vice versa.

For AT&T or Verizon, Tracfone, MobileX, or H20 should be possible for around $11 + tax.

Although I can't guarantee it.... the restriction probably doesn't rule out a T-Mobile MVNO as an intermediary, but a specific restriction about moving from Red Pocket to FreedomPop, or vice versa.

For AT&T or Verizon, Tracfone, MobileX, or H20 should be possible for around $11 + tax.

One has nothing to do with the other. You can't port between RP and FP because that are the same company just using different outward facing brands. The reason the number can't be ported to T-mobile is because they do not have spectrum licenses in the area where the number is original from.

I think I'm just going to give the number up.

So far I'm only hearing defeatism.

Have you actually tried to, say with UltraMobile PAYGO ?

$13 all up as a test, $3/mo to "not just park" it thereafter.

Or Tracfone, under $20 on either VZW or TMO.

Or send it to NumberBarn for a while...

So far I'm only hearing defeatism.

Have you actually tried to, say with UltraMobile PAYGO ?

$13 all up as a test, $3/mo to "not just park" it thereafter.

Or Tracfone, under $20 on either VZW or TMO.

Or send it to NumberBarn for a while...

Ultramobile is also a T-mobile MVNO, NumberBarn also will not take the number. Might try TracFone but not sure if it's worth the effort.

I am stating that I think you may be wrong, it appears you have not even tried any of the options, just making assumptions.

Ultramobile is also a T-mobile MVNO, NumberBarn also will not take the number. Might try TracFone but not sure if it's worth the effort.

Yep, totally right—porting to T-Mobile or any T-Mobile MVNO won't work if it's not a native area for T-Mobile coverage/rate center. AT&T and Cricket folks who have Puerto Rico numbers are learning about that as the transition to Liberty means they can't keep those numbers on an AT&T or Cricket account (they should be able to port to T-Mobile/T-Mobile MVNO as the carrier has native coverage in Puerto Rico). Perhaps try a Verizon-based MVNO if you really wanted to keep it?

Similarly, it's like if someone has an Alaska number on AT&T, Verizon, or GCI, they won't be able to take it to T-Mobile/T-Mobile MVNOs or US Cellular. It's an extreme example, but the sort of the remnants of the weird patchwork of ILECs, CLECs, regional mobile carriers, etc. that have mostly combined into the big 3 we have now.

Must be something that started at the beginning of the year? I've been manually renewing my plan and noticed when I went in to try and renew my plan today I'm being charged taxes now. So the plan is no longer "free".

Huh. I am still getting auto-renewed, and am not paying any taxes (Chicago, IL)

This is what I'm getting hit with, I'm in CA:

Total Price : $0.91
Taxable amount:$0.00
Total tax: $0.91
$0.19 Federal Universal Service Fund
$0.01 Federal Telecommunications Relay Services Fund (Non-IPCTS)
$0.02 Federal Telecommunications Relay Services Fund (IPCTS)
$0.11 State Sales Tax
$0.03 County Sales Tax
$0.11 Communications Services Tax
$0.04 Local Communications Svc. Tax
$0.40 Wireless 911 Surcharge

I have WA and CA numbers and no tax this year or prior

If anyone's interested I used visible to port out from RedPocket. It cost me $20 and I ported to Freedompop the same day. Strangely despite the fact that I used a FP sim bought at Target and used the FP site to port over from visible the line doesn't show up in my FP account, it shows up in my RP account.

Yesterday I have purchased two FP SIM kits at a Target store. The outside of the packages are identical, the expected 100/100/100 kind.
The SIMs inside are different. One is the RP GSMA sim with ICCID starting with 890128, the other reminds me to the SIMs of the old times blue with ICCID 890141.
What is the difference between them for service?

Both should be AT&T, please give another couple digits just in case.

Were the SKUs, other product codes on the packaging identical?

Likely will be "fine" relative to FP SNAFU, please do report back here.

Just signed up for this plan and have a couple questions.

1.what happens if my minutes and/or data go over 100?
2.I put in my billing information, and now website on my computer says I am on a renewal plan with GSMA ATT type, though several report that they have to renew manually unless with a GSMT-Mobile type account? I also remember being told by FP that I have to manually renew every month.
3. If account goes over limits and account is "cut off", can I still call FP to pay for extra minutes and/or data? If not, how can I use phone again?

Last edited:
Scammer outfit, very unreliable, they change the rules as they go, take your money without asking and generally need watching like a hawk

yeah but so many people kept saying things changed after the sale to Ting and RP and the old FP changed its ways. Then about 6 months back towards the end of 2023, the mysterious charges started appearing again and now they jump thru hoops scenario is back.

I'm guess things will change again in the coming months just the way the old FP did just before selling out.

Nothing changed, that was just wishful thinking

If anything their scamming mentality has been seeping into RP now.

New to FreedomPop/Red Pocket...

1.what happens if my minutes and/or data go over 100?
2. If account goes over limits and account is "cut off", can I still call FP to pay for extra minutes and/or data? If not, how can I use phone again if on vacation?[/QUOTE]

Back