T-Mobile Nexus One: Non T-Mobile 3G phone /w grandfathered T-Mobile Internet?

Ad Above Message List
It's slower than the more expensive web that allows smartphone access to epc.tmobile.com, it's faster..

iFone3G said:
It's slower than the more expensive web that allows smartphone access to epc.tmobile.com, it's faster..
People in this thread say they can use epc.tmobile.com with their $5.99 T-Zones plan, but you're saying you can't use it with the current $10 Unlimited Web plan? The HoFo wiki says all current plans can use epc.tmobile.com.

That's right. You can only use epc.tmobile.com on non-smartphones with $10 web. That has been my experience.

Interesting. So do the other APNs such as internet2.voicestream.com give you EDGE only, or just a somehow throttled version of 3G?

iFone3G said:

This is incorrect. Every single T-Mobile APN that let's you access the internet at all let's you access it at 3G speeds if the radio in your phone supports it. T-Mobile does not have "tiered" data plans in actuality. The only difference is the price that you pay.

nachobel said:
This is incorrect. Every single T-Mobile APN that let's you access the internet at all let's you access it at 3G speeds if the radio in your phone supports it. T-Mobile does not have "tiered" data plans in actuality. The only difference is the price that you pay.

No, I'm right. I would know because I tested the apn's and internet2/wap was consistantly slower.. ok? I never said anything about tiered plans or about it not letting you get onto the 3G network.

I'm on unsubsidized N1 running $10 web2go utilizing the epc APN and mine runs fine and see no speed difference from the last APN I was on.

I get anywhere from 800kb/s to 1.1mb/s download and pretty consistent 300-400kb/s upload according to speedtest app

Now whether T-Mobile actually throttles bandwidth after a certain limit is another story that can also be debated for another thread...

iFone3G said:
No, I'm right. I would know because I tested the apn's and internet2/wap was consistantly slower.. ok? I never said anything about tiered plans or about it not letting you get onto the 3G network.

Basically T-Mobile’s data network has been evolving since the introduction of GPRS when it was “Voicestream” . They started with “wap” and quickly the demand for access to HTML, e-mail, etc. made T-Mobile start adding different routes to data using different Proxys. At the same time they created a lot of different “data plans” which I believe even for them it has been difficult to keep track on. The latest addition to their 3 long lasting APN’s (wap.voicestream.com, internet2.voicestream.com, internet3.voicestream.com) has been epc.t-mobile.com. Now they want everybody to use this one, for obvious reasons, even though they still need to keep internet2.vpoicestream.com for certain things.
Data traffic routed through APN: epc.t-mobile.com is processed in a more efficient way, using some compression techniques mostly for imaging purposes, resulting in a faster browsing experience. While “internet2” does go through an older Nokia HTTP-To Wap box, that has to process everything before it’s being delivered to your phone, resulting in a slower surfing experience.
Other porting restrictions are also affecting certain applications such as Opera and other third party applications, and that’s why you have to be changing and “play and try” with different APN’s. Detection of smartphones or a regular phone that could have almost same functionality, i.e. TM506 debranded, would behave completely different with different APN’s as well.
T-Mobile has made it very complex during the past years, and now they need to clean up the house or they are going to struggle to deliver a proper 3G + HSDPA service.

n1div said:
I'm on unsubsidized N1 running $10 web2go utilizing the epc APN and mine runs fine and see no speed difference from the last APN I was on.

I get anywhere from 800kb/s to 1.1mb/s download and pretty consistent 300-400kb/s upload according to speedtest app

Now whether T-Mobile actually throttles bandwidth after a certain limit is another story that can also be debated for another thread...

so if purchased unsubsidized tmobile won't charge you android data plan?

I can tether on my TM506 with the internet2 and the epc APN and both get the same 3G speeds.

tkw00t, that's the noise for now, but it could change at any moment. If you're considering attempting this I would wait another month or 2 to be sure T-Mobile isn't going to try to switch everyone over.

tkw00t said:
so if purchased unsubsidized tmobile won't charge you android data plan?

As others have said, they can change the way they limit internet use on the phone at any given time but for now it seems to work.

As for working right out of the box, it is dependent on many variables including if you are a new subscriber or not. Read through some of the previous posts for details.

i've read that web2go is being detected and forced to change to android plans when using android phones (not sure if nexus one or not) but if using t-zones that they won't bother because the people using this plan is very very small compared to web2go?

How many of you are using N1 with TZones and how long have you been using it with N1?

Nas6034 said:
How many of you are using N1 with TZones and how long have you been using it with N1?

Using $5.99 Tzones and $529 N1 since two days after release, sometime early january. Still works fine, use 3g extensively, etc. Was using moto rizr for two years prior.

I've been using the 5.99 T-zones since early February. It works perfectly fine when I'm on 3g but doesn't work when I'm on edge. Anyone know what the problem could be?

I switched down to the $10 Shadow data plan, and I got internet now on my N1 via Internet2 APN (Wap and EPC =No go).

I popped my SIM card into my old Nokia 6103, chose the shadow phone in mytmobile, then added the $10 web2go. It works....for now.

I'd still caution everyone though, as T-Mo could pull the plug at anytime. I mostly use Wi-Fi at school so my usuage isnt high (580MB/billing cycle)

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but just for the record, I am looking at picking up my friends old N1 (T-MO 3G) so he can get the AT&T 3G version and I have been using unlocked nokias for years on the 4.99 t-zones plan. The market here is a mix of GPRS and EDGE, no 3G. But if i do get it would they jump my data plan up or would I be alright? Whats everyone's experience here? I don't want to lose my 4.99 t-zones

reedacus25 said:
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but just for the record, I am looking at picking up my friends old N1 (T-MO 3G) so he can get the AT&T 3G version and I have been using unlocked nokias for years on the 4.99 t-zones plan. The market here is a mix of GPRS and EDGE, no 3G. But if i do get it would they jump my data plan up or would I be alright? Whats everyone's experience here? I don't want to lose my 4.99 t-zones
As long as you didn't upgrade with T-Mobile, you should be fine. If you bought the Nexus one from your friend, just pop your SIM card in and go. Your $4.99 T-Zones will be fine.

Back