T-Mobile Nexus One: Non T-Mobile 3G phone /w grandfathered T-Mobile Internet?

Ad Above Message List
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I currently have the Total Internet with Hotspot which is costing me 20 on top of my phone plan a month. Im thinking of switching to a N1 from my N900. Will I be forced to switch data plans when I switch phones?

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I currently have the Total Internet with Hotspot which is costing me 20 on top of my phone plan a month. Im thinking of switching to a N1 from my N900. Will I be forced to switch data plans when I switch phones?

No, the current plan should work. Just don't buy subsidized on your line, you should be good to go!

how can u tell if a n1 was purchased subsidized?

right now looking for n1s on craigslist and my plan has tzones in it. if i pop my sim and it works then it was purchased straight up from google (no contract)

and also does that mean if the n1 was purchased subsidized (179) and i pick it up on craigslist then i can't use my tzones on that phone?

If you get it from somewhere other than Google (this only applies at the 2 year contract price of $179) then you have nothing to worry about, the phone isn't subsidized for you.

I am thinking of getting the Nexus One. I have the T-Zones $5.99 plan. Currently using the Blackberry 8100 and I get internet access albeit with Edge only.

Are you people saying that I can purchase a T-Mobile Nexus One Unlocked or not from either Ebay or Craigslist and just pop in my SIMM card and I should be able to get 3G with T-Zones?

Or, does the Nexus One (unlocked) require that it had to have been originally bought from anywhere other than T-Mobile (branded) to be able to pop in my SIMM card and get 3G with T-Zones?

In other words, can ANY unlocked Nexus One that I buy from Ebay or Craigslist work and all I would need to do is insert my SIMM card and get 3G with T-Zones.

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited:
I am thinking of getting the Nexus One. I have the T-Zones $5.99 plan. Currently using the Blackberry 8100 and I get internet access albeit with Edge only.

Are you people saying that I can purchase a T-Mobile Nexus One Unlocked or not from either Ebay or Craigslist and just pop in my SIMM card and I should be able to get 3G with T-Zones?

Or, does the Nexus One (unlocked) require that it had to have been originally bought from anywhere other than T-Mobile (branded) to be able to pop in my SIMM card and get 3G with T-Zones?

In other words, can ANY unlocked Nexus One that I buy from Ebay or Craigslist work and all I would need to do is insert my SIMM card and get 3G with T-Zones.

Thanks,
Robert

The Nexus One is no longer available via Google's web store. You can get it if you are a developer for $530 MSRP, or can check Ebay/Craigs to find one.

It will work no problem with the $5.99 T-Zones. Just move SIM over and you are good to go.

...or can check Ebay/Craigs to find one.
It will work no problem with the $5.99 T-Zones. Just move SIM over and you are good to go.

Thanks! Got one from Craigs yesterday. Just inserted my SIM and good to go on T-Zones' 3G.

Robert

n1 and tzones

Thanks! Got one from Craigs yesterday. Just inserted my SIM and good to go on T-Zones' 3G.

Robert

What about the android apps? We know 3g will work on n1 w/ tzones on the browser but i heard that since we are going through the proxy the apps don't work.... Can anyone verify this???

You're not going through the proxy. 3G works with everything.

Here's how setting the N1 up to work with the 5.99 t-zones internet plan works.

Step 1) put in your SIM
Step 2) turn the N1 on

...that's it! No step 3, no proxy, no configuration, no manual settings, it just works. this is based of my experience with the unlocked N1 sold from Google.

n1 w/ tzones

You're not going through the proxy. 3G works with everything.

Here's how setting the N1 up to work with the 5.99 t-zones internet plan works.

Step 1) put in your SIM
Step 2) turn the N1 on

...that's it! No step 3, no proxy, no configuration, no manual settings, it just works. this is based of my experience with the unlocked N1 sold from Google.

sweet! now just search for a n1 on cl. been thinking about getting either n1 or htc hd2

Questions for fellow grandfathered t-zonists...

1. How long do you think we'll be able to keep the cheap T-Zones plan?

2. I read that there will be a Samsung Tab with HSDPA 1700/2100 (T-Mo 3G). Anyone know if we'll be able to unlock it and use with T-Zones?

3. What *unlocked* 3G phone would be good to buy next? Hopefully my N1 will last a while, but I have no idea what I'd get next! Especially since the N1 is an endangered species. For new phones, Xperia X10, Nokia N8 and E7... seem like the only other unlocked T-Mo 3G options. Man I hope my Nexus lasts long enough for a better unlocked phone to come around!

numbnuts,

1) You'll be able to keep the grandfathered T-Zones plan for as long as your account stays active and you don't make any changes to your plan. They may, in the future, tell you that if you want to switch to any of the new plans you'll have to get rid of the t-zones because it is "incompatible", but as long as you keep your account in good standing and don't change anything, you're golden.

2) You won't be able to unlock the Tab and use T-Zones with it. Every phone that T-Mobile sells is recorded somewhere in their inventory. As long as they've sold the phone, they can dictate which internet plans will work with it and which won't. If they don't sell the phone, they can't do this. The N1 is strange as T-Mobile *did* sell it, but the t-zones plan still worked with it. No other android phone was like this. The Tab will be sold through them so I'm guessing they'll be able to tell you which plans do and do not work with it, and since it's an Android device, you're looking at the Android Data Plan.

3) I have no idea. Sorry!

Picked up an N1 today, using APN internet2.voicestream.com (i'm on $10 plan)
Got internet working but it's only EDGE.

Been to a few spot around town now and it's always EDGE.
Does the SIM card make a different? I have a very old VoiceStream SIM.

Back