Non VZW Activation as of June 2024

Ad Above Message List

pitflyer

ToTW Winner
HoFo Member
Some newer data points

1) Tried to activate an old, but unused ATT sim and was told sim is in invalid state.
2) Tried to activate an old, but unused TMO sim that technically expired a year ago (per date on SIM). Website accepted the number, asked me for IMEI (I have the physical SIM of a Samsung Flip 5) then asked me for the 'other SIM' with an option to say I didn't have the other SIM. Not really sure what it was asking, so I just put the TMO sim number BACK into the site. It accepted it a second time and shows a transfer pending and I got a text on the original VZW line that service is in progress of moving.
3) Since this internal port usually takes someone at TracFone to push it through we'll wait and see. But given that they are selling TMO SIMs again it seems like this should be no problem. But those with ATT service are definitely slowly being pushed out.. we'll see what happens after Nov.

Some newer data points

1) Tried to activate an old, but unused ATT sim and was told sim is in invalid state.
2) Tried to activate an old, but unused TMO sim that technically expired a year ago (per date on SIM). Website accepted the number, asked me for IMEI (I have the physical SIM of a Samsung Flip 5) then asked me for the 'other SIM' with an option to say I didn't have the other SIM. Not really sure what it was asking, so I just put the TMO sim number BACK into the site. It accepted it a second time and shows a transfer pending and I got a text on the original VZW line that service is in progress of moving.
3) Since this internal port usually takes someone at TracFone to push it through we'll wait and see. But given that they are selling TMO SIMs again it seems like this should be no problem. But those with ATT service are definitely slowly being pushed out.. we'll see what happens after Nov.

After my 4K AAL vests and my Nokia flip phone unlocks in a few weeks, I'm gonna transfer the line on it to a Samsung phone and then reactivate the 2760 with a fresh BYOP TF/T-Mobile sim. And then with some points put some time on it. Maybe I'll get the $39.99 Orbit deal and use one to build up the line. See how that plays out.

Last edited:
Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
Some newer data points

2) Website accepted the number, asked me for IMEI (I have the physical SIM of a Samsung Flip 5)
What's the significance of the physical SIM of the Samsung Flip 5? Did you mean you were using the IMEI of the Flip 5?

About "the other SIM", could it be asking for an eSIM (in case TF now allow eSIM on Android phones)?

Yes, I did not even try the eSIM. Maybe they were asking for it, I don't know. Anyway, ten minutes later I get a text saying I need to chat in for further help on my request as they need more info. I chat in, and after 30 minutes the rep says their systems are too slow and they will call me in another 15 minutes to complete my request.

It's like nothing at TracFone ever works the first time around. We'll see if they call me or not. I think I may have a 'newer' Tmobile SIM somewhere that didnt expire in case that's the problem here, but if I had to guess their internal porting system is sluggish and the first rep I spoke to couldn't kick it off.

No call, but it just worked. LOL. Old phone stopped working and new one started working. Setup voicemail, did test text, call and data and all worked. And while I was doing that, they were calling me but I just didn't answer... because.. what's the point?

So even when everything works to plan it kinda doesn't!

The call back kept calling till I hit '9' to cancel.

Last edited:
The most interesting part to me is that you were able to use a TF T-Mobile SIM after it was expired. I didn't know that was possible.

Yes expiration dates just means "we don't promise it will work" past that date

For the record it 'expired' in Oct 2023. So maybe part of the reason I had some problems, but all in all, not that bad. My experience has been these internal ports always require _someone_ to push it through, sometimes it shows up automatically and gets done. I am guessing the system paused it, and the chat rep got it through even though they did not see a response that it went through.

So I basically went from ATT/VZW service to combined VZW service to combined TMO service. It's ok for me as TMO sim swaps are still easy, and with dual SIM phones ATT/TMO gives me all the coverage I mostly need. Would have liked MobileX (I know one of Paul's favorite) to finish the trifecta but they turned me off with a 'new line fee' that is only disclosed at the end.

, and with dual SIM phones ATT/TMO gives me all the coverage I mostly need. .

Have you put one of these on a e-Sim yet.

Just curious as whose e-Sim is generated, VZ or the AT&T or T-Mob one.

I asked this ? About a year ago but no one responded.

Yes expiration dates just means "we don't promise it will work" past that date
i believe T-Mobile may of changed something recently concerning expired SIM cards

an email was recently sent out to Boost Mobile dealers informing them they could disregard the upcoming expiration dates on some TN(internal code for T-Mobile network) SIM cards

in the past my experience was the expiration on T-Mobile SIM(including from MVNOs) was a hard date after which they could not be activated.

Have you put one of these on a e-Sim yet.

Just curious as whose e-Sim is generated, VZ or the AT&T or T-Mob one.

I asked this ? About a year ago but no one responded.
i am pretty sure all Tracfone eSIMs are Verizon network

I’m curious as to when you do an activation of eSim with keeping your number from a AT&T or T-Mob sim.
when i experimented with that a while back(around the time of eSIM launch) the line was automatically migrated to Verizon

....It's ok for me as TMO sim swaps are still easy...
Is it still as easy as just moving the sim between t-mo compatible phones? no other gyrations required? Thanks

i believe T-Mobile may of changed something recently concerning expired SIM cards

an email was recently sent out to Boost Mobile dealers informing them they could disregard the upcoming expiration dates on some TN(internal code for T-Mobile network) SIM cards

in the past my experience was the expiration on T-Mobile SIM(including from MVNOs) was a hard date after which they could not be activated.
Thank you for the explanation! I know I was unable to use a barely expired T-Mobile SIM card around 5 years ago, so your comment explains what might have changed.

It seems the TF/T-mo sim cards have changed in general recently with a different 6 digit beginning which I think started between June 2020 and June 2022

Is it still as easy as just moving the sim between t-mo compatible phones? no other gyrations required? Thanks
That's my expectation though I have not yet moved the TMobile sim from the activation location.

I’m curious as to when you do an activation of eSim with keeping your number from a AT&T or T-Mob sim.
Esim is only on Verizon network. Its an internal port takes about 30 min, sometimes longer. They need to improve and train better their reps about it.
They are keeping tmobile. Att network not gonna be available after nov 2024.

That's my expectation though I have not yet moved the TMobile sim from the activation location.
Yes, just move the sim from one phone to another.

Att network not gonna be available after nov 2024.
Very unlikely now IMO, has not been confirmed in years.

I agree it will probably be eliminated sometime in the next year, but would be very surprised if we are given less than six month's proactive notification.

Very unlikely now IMO, has not been confirmed in years.

I agree it will probably be eliminated sometime in the next year, but would be very surprised if we are given less than six month's proactive notification.
Who knows, 3 years its very generous as per agreement. Some people I know are waiting until last minute, to see what they gonna offer. Others are clueless about the changes.

So far they gonna continue with tmobile at least on simple mobile.

Back