Obi 2182 Support Ending?

Ad Above Message List

Betulo

HoFo Member
I read on here something about possibly the web admin for these phones (2182) ending this year?

I have several GV personal lines set up as line buttons on these as a small business scattered around and wonder what I should be thinking of, going forward.

I really like the VM categorization/text functionality with pictures/desk phone/cell phone simultaneous ring all built into GV. I might even be willing to pay for it. :p It's just that I have gotten so used to the personal version all these years, I just like it.

Just trying to see where we go forward from here.

if Obi support does go away you could get a sip/VOIP service with a DID that you could forward your GV accounts too and spoof you GV number on outbound calls. there are many options for this part to handle the desk phone portion.

you may not find an alternative that has the texting/MMS and seamless cell integration that GV does. that is all pretty unique to GV and services like textnow that have no desk phone capabilities

for a lot of people these days the alternative may be to actually give up the desk phone and go all cell phone. i actually know several people with small business who no longer have any desk phones.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
I was all cell phone but when these desk phones got so cheap I got some and placed them around the office. I like having a real speaker phone and handset so I can talk and listen like the old days. I guess I could see if some GV <-> POTS adapters are still around when that time comes and get something like a Partner phone system.

Is business (pay) GV have the same features and is it still a going thing?

I was all cell phone but when these desk phones got so cheap I got some and placed them around the office. I like having a real speaker phone and handset so I can talk and listen like the old days. I guess I could see if some GV <-> POTS adapters are still around when that time comes and get something like a Partner phone system.

The Obihai GV <-> POTS analog telephone adapters (ATA) are the only ones that exist. Nobody else makes them, or likely ever will again. It is too niche of a product with too small of a market to support them. That is why Obi's new owners are discontinuing the GV product line. The engineering support to keep up with the changes that GV makes costs more than it it worth to them.

The Obi and other ATAs will work with other SIP providers. If I understand it correctly the Obi IP phone (and others) will work with other SIP providers, like Callcentric. Other SIP providers are not free, but can be reasonable.

To continue as you are, you are looking at a small business phone system and service provider. I don't know anything about that arena.

Personally, I will just go to GV on a cellphone with a headset over Wifi.

similar features or more in terms of call routing, IVRs, etc. there are a different set of compatible Poly deskphones.

a very key difference is that it is strictly limited to only a single deskphone per user(or phone number.) unlike the consumer GV you can't setup multiple Obi deskphones or ATA and have them all ring at the same time

I bought 2 of these on amz last week. They were going for $50 (refurbished supposedly). Of the two, one looked practically brand new with all pieces in the foam bags. The other was bagless and has a rattle in the handset (which still works) and a crappier speakerphone. We'll see if the seller offers $ back or replaces 'em. Out of stock now.

Both units had the protective film on the display and look unused. Had older firmware too (from 2019).

Flashed the naf firmware to discover true portal-less functionality was broken. After some back and forth collaboration a fix was devised and working now.

While at it, other users of the 1000 series discovered the same bug, that too will be updated

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33845943- will be the new firmware for the 2000 series.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33846079- for 1000 series

Expect both to be posted soon to https://obifirmware.com/

The last 2-4 pages of the dslr thread describe in great detail what the issue was. In short, one of the hidden flags for gvsip was not getting set, resulting in the firmware trying to authenticate using xmpp. Obi error reporting is crap as usual, with the only indication being ongoing "Resolving DNS" status.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
I bought 2 of these on amz last week. They were going for $50 (refurbished supposedly). Of the two, one looked practically brand new with all pieces in the foam bags. The other was bagless and has a rattle in the handset (which still works) and a crappier speakerphone. We'll see if the seller offers $ back or replaces 'em. Out of stock now.

Both units had the protective film on the display and look unused. Had older firmware too (from 2019).

Flashed the naf firmware to discover true portal-less functionality was broken. After some back and forth collaboration a fix was devised and working now.

While at it, other users of the 1000 series discovered the same bug, that too will be updated

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33845943- will be the new firmware for the 2000 series.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33846079- for 1000 series

Expect both to be posted soon to https://obifirmware.com/

The last 2-4 pages of the dslr thread describe in great detail what the issue was. In short, one of the hidden flags for gvsip was not getting set, resulting in the firmware trying to authenticate using xmpp. Obi error reporting is crap as usual, with the only indication being ongoing "Resolving DNS" status.

@taoman were you part of the original testing for the 2000 series fw to have your name in its filename?

@taoman were you part of the original testing for the 2000 series fw to have your name in its filename?

I can't remember exactly how that came about. I had bought a 2182 (real cheap) and was talking to Naf about it and offered to send it to him since he didn't have that model on hand. He said he just needed some information about the phone which I sent him (can't remember what info). So I think because I sent him that info he named the fw with my username.

Back then I just provisioned it with the OBiTALK portal. I actually don't use it (I only use DECT) so I never got around to using Naf's fw with it.

PS. I'm pissed I can't find a free Toll-free termination provider anywhere. I wasn't aware they were no longer working until you mentioned it.

Missed the reply notification to this thread.

Seems I get less spam these days than before, so the nomorobo thing isn't that important any more. What would be really useful is an ivr. But, short of multiple forwards it's not a very practical solution when using a google voice number.

The phone in general is ok, but not without the usual obi bugs. Discovered a bug in the latest version in the conference function where it distorts the audio terribly for the conference end point devices. Ironically, using one of the earlier firmwares, 4907, the issue is not there. That has other issues, such as failure to reconnect wifi after a disconnect. It will try a few times then give up. 5330 fixes the wifi with ongoing reconnection attempts. Reminds me of the dhcp bug in the obi20x devices.

The whole wifi thing would be a nonissue except for where I want to place it has no wired connectivity.

Aside from that, I discovered on gv-gv calls, it's using g722/opus codec. Noticeable improvement in audio dynamics.

Back