Old Various Verizon Contract Phones --- Locked?

gkamieneski

HoFo Member
I found that over the years I have accumulated quite a few Verizon (CDMA?) phones under contracts. These range from flip phones like a pink Motorola V3c to early Windows Samsung phones to Microsoft Kin2 phones.

Should I expect that all of these phones are "locked" to Verizon's network (also maybe CDMA phones no longer work on their network?)? Is there a way for them to be unlocked?

Thanks for any advice. I would prefer to put these on Craigslist than fill a landfill with them, but do not know if they are even worth anything.

I found that over the years I have accumulated quite a few Verizon (CDMA?) phones under contracts. These range from flip phones like a pink Motorola V3c to early Windows Samsung phones to Microsoft Kin2 phones.

Should I expect that all of these phones are "locked" to Verizon's network (also maybe CDMA phones no longer work on their network?)? Is there a way for them to be unlocked?

Thanks for any advice. I would prefer to put these on Craigslist than fill a landfill with them, but do not know if they are even worth anything.

if there old CDMA phones, then your best bet would be to take them to a recycling place since
they can no longer be activated.

In the US, 2G and 3G phones can no longer be activated. No point in getting them unlocked by the carrier, and not likely they would. There are companies that offer unlocking services for a fee.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app

I have been wondering about this as I see people selling Motorola Razr V3c Verizon phones on EBay and they are likely unusable.

I have been wondering about this as I see people selling Motorola Razr V3c Verizon phones on EBay and they are likely unusable.

It could be that potential buyers live outside the US where some carriers use the old technology phones. It could also be that they are relying on gullible buyers in the US who don't know better. I suppose you could buy an original iPhone online, not that I would recommend it, unless you are just a collector of old phones.

Which is it, the fact that they are CDMA or that they are not at least 4G that makes them unusable. thx

Which is it, the fact that they are CDMA or that they are not at least 4G that makes them unusable. thx

It is both reasons. Remember that LTE/VOLTE are 4G technologies and that 5G technology works hand in hand with 4G.

These are Ewaste. CDMA is almost not used anywhere now. They are not worth unlocking, if it could even be done. The batteries are also probably near EOL and not worth replacing.

Anything that old is probably not even worth using as a micro tablet on Wifi without cell service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks

These are Ewaste. CDMA is almost not used anywhere now. They are not worth unlocking, if it could even be done. The batteries are also probably near EOL and not worth replacing.

Anything that old is probably not even worth using as a micro tablet on Wifi without cell service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks

Well in all fariness. US Cellular is still running CDMA. I was able to roam on it last week haha

But yes, outside of USC, I do not think anyone is still running it.. eWaste them!

I also have 2 old iPhone 5c phones from Verizon, model A1532. These appear to be both CDMA and GSM but I don't think they are 4G so are unusable? Don't know how to tell if they are locked or not.

I also have 2 old iPhone 5c phones from Verizon, model A1532. These appear to be both CDMA and GSM but I don't think they are 4G so are unusable? Don't know how to tell if they are locked or not.

They would not be locked.. but you are correct. They are LTE/GSM/WCDMA/CDMA devices.

They will currently work on T-Mobile's remaining sliver of a 2G/GSM network.. but it's only running in LTE guardbands in 200kHz chunks so it's very minimal at this point to support old M2M devices. It would get data from LTE, and make calls where 2G GSM is available.

They would not be locked.. but you are correct. They are LTE/GSM/WCDMA/CDMA devices.

They will currently work on T-Mobile's remaining sliver of a 2G/GSM network.. but it's only running in LTE guardbands in 200kHz chunks so it's very minimal at this point to support old M2M devices. It would get data from LTE, and make calls where 2G GSM is available.

How can you tell the iPhone 5c is unlocked? I may list for sale on Craigslist and I don't wish to mislead anyone. thx

How can you tell the iPhone 5c is unlocked? I may list for sale on Craigslist and I don't wish to mislead anyone. thx

go to Settings > General > About. If "No SIM restrictions" appears next to Carrier Lock, your iPhone is unlocked

Unfortunately Settings>General>about doesn't have "Carrier Lock". Next to "Carrier" it states Verizon 28.4. I had thought Verizon was supposed to remove locks after 60 days?

Unfortunately Settings>General>about doesn't have "Carrier Lock". Next to "Carrier" it states Verizon 28.4. I had thought Verizon was supposed to remove locks after 60 days?

The 5c probably has too old of OS to include that SIM Restriction display.

Back when the 5c was new, I think they were all sold unlocked. It was more recent years that they went to 60 days. With the rational to discourage armed theft from stores and verify that new customers actually paid a bill.

It's not locked. The 5c was sold long before that short lock period was placed. Anything pre iPhone 11 is unlocked out of the box.

I went to one of the free IMEI websites and the result said it was unlocked.

Thanks, all.

Moto W755

I found that I have a new in box Motorola W755, all plastic wrapped. Is there any value to this, or just add it to the recycling cache?

Back