Orbic Journey V (RC2200L)

Slepy

Carrier(s)
T-Mobile, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMA, GSMT)
Device(s)
Xperia X, iPhone SE2, Galaxy S10e, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
Reliance Orbic Journey V (RC2200L), no "D" or "V" just "L".

Tracfone Orbic Journey V (2) + 1 Year of Service with 1200 MIN/1200 TXT/1200MB @ Tracfone eBay store
$49.99 for 2x flip phones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285030288045

https://support.tracfone.com/devicehome?device=reliance-orbic-journey-v-rc2200l

Seems to be a Verizon network only phone, LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 13. Checking the specs, it's missing some T-Mobile bands, no Band 12/17 nor Band 71. *edit* Amazingly, it can do VoLTE on T-Mobile. DOES NOT work on nor AT&T. No Orbic phones at all on AT&T whitelist.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 210 (1.1 GHz Quad Core Processor)
1 GB RAM, 8 GB ROM (5.8 GB usable)
2.8" 240 x 320 screen
1400 mAh Battery
AOSP 8.1
micro USB port

Seems to have pretty bad reviews. This has been listed for $39.99 for a long time on Tracfone's own site for just the phone, no service.
https://www.tracfone.com/phone/orbic-journey-v-prepaid
https://www.verizon.com/basic-phones/orbic-journey-v/

Sold in plain white box as some have reported, not retail packaging. Should be new though. Probably repackaged old Verizon Pre-paid phones for clearance on Tracfone.

Last edited:
Seems to be a Verizon network only phone, LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 13. Checking the specs, it's missing many T-Mobile bands, no Band 12/17, so DOES NOT work on T-Mobile nor AT&T.

Well technically, T-Mobile does have LTE Band 2 & 4 in many places that it provides service. So it should work on T-Mobile.

Saw this on Slickdeals:

2 Pack - Tracfone Orbic Journey 1 Year 1200 Bundle - $30 at HSN New Account coupon
$49.99 - $20 coupon: HSN2022 = $29.99 + tax

https://www.hsn.com/products/-/20737152

New HSN account coupon: HSN2022
Saves $20 off $40 or more, single item.
Must be a new user/email/credit card

2 phones + 2 car charger + 2 wired ear buds
1200 minutes/text/MB data for 1 year for each phone

Well technically, T-Mobile does have LTE Band 2 & 4 in many places that it provides service. So it should work on T-Mobile.

You forget we are in the VoLTE era now. Just having a few bands that can connect is not enough. Without Band 12, this phone is probably NOT VoLTE certified on T-Mobile. 3G is gone, so it can only use LTE data on band 2 & 4 or drop down to 2G to make calls. Also, it seems some T-Mobile NVMOs are blocking non-VoLTE phones from even connecting to the network. Don't know if T-Mobile actual is doing that.

Seems to be a Verizon network only phone, LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 13. Checking the specs, it's missing many T-Mobile bands, no Band 12/17, so DOES NOT work on T-Mobile nor AT&T. No Orbic phones at all on AT&T whitelist.

Even if it's just a Verizon phone (which it looks like it is with band 13 and not much else) shouldn't it also have band 66 by now?

You forget we are in the VoLTE era now. Just having a few bands that can connect is not enough. Without Band 12, this phone is probably NOT VoLTE certified on T-Mobile. 3G is gone, so it can only use LTE data on band 2 & 4 or drop down to 2G to make calls. A

T-Mobile uses VoLTE on Band 2 and Band 4 as does Verizon. Whether the phone has Band 12 or not, doesn't have anything to do with whether it is compatible with T-Mobile's VoLTE.

I am activating my Orbics today, so in 61 days when they unlock, I test it with a T-Mobile SIM. In the meantime, I do not agree that the lack of band 12 itself is enough to say that it does not work on T-Mobile as you previously stated.

Even if it's just a Verizon phone (which it looks like it is with band 13 and not much else) shouldn't it also have band 66 by now?

Band 66 is just a superset of band 4, so it's not that important. It just allows some extra speed/capacity. Verizon's main band is Band 13 as you have mentioned.

Band 12 is T-Mobile main band. Band 17 for AT&T, which is a subset of Band 12. It's also missing Band 71 for T-Mobile, which a lot of people who purchase flip phones for T-Mobile wants for extended range/rural areas. But this budget flip was made for Verizon, so having VoLTE support for T-Mobile is a surprise without Band 12.

T-Mobile uses VoLTE on Band 2 and Band 4 as does Verizon. Whether the phone has Band 12 or not, doesn't have anything to do with whether it is compatible with T-Mobile's VoLTE.

I pulled an IMEI for this phone from a youtube video and ran it through the Mint BYOD checker. Amazingly, it actually gets VoLTE without band 12, so it's "partially compatible" with T-Mobile from the checker. But the other specs seems correct. No bands 12, 66, 71.

Attachments

• Orbic Journey V Mint BYOD check.gif
    Orbic Journey V Mint BYOD check.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,474
I can’t resist the temptation, $30 bucks for 2 phones are just too good. In for 1 bundle.

In the past, whenever I see these good deals, I get them just to extend the contract. But needed a new BYOP sim to transfer back to the original phone. I have a few q's.

1. Is it still possible to transfer my min to this phone and then transfer again back to original phone? (I'll do each transfer on separate days)
2. Do I still need a brand new BYOP sim or can I recycle the SIM in my original phone?
3. If the current phone is a locked TF phone (waiting for 12 months, not 60 days, to get unlocked), how will (2x transfers) affect the unlock policy on the original phone? (don't care about unlocking orbit, as we will never use it)

1. Is it still possible to transfer my min to this phone and then transfer again back to original phone? (I'll do each transfer on separate days)
2. Do I still need a brand new BYOP sim or can I recycle the SIM in my original phone?
3. If the current phone is a locked TF phone (waiting for 12 months, not 60 days, to get unlocked), how will (2x transfers) affect the unlock policy on the original phone? (don't care about unlocking orbit, as we will never use it)

1. Yes.
2. If the original phone is TF-branded, it can be reactivated using its original SIM. If it's BYOP, best to use a new SIM.
3. If service is transferred from the original phone to another phone, that will jeopardize its eligibility for unlocking because in TF's view that IMEI had an interruption of service. Let's say it was in service for 7 months before you transfer out, TF will require another 5 months of service when you reactivate it. But here's a sticky part: if the original phone had come with a year of service, then that will be considered "paid service" for the purpose of unlocking; however, if you transfer its service to another phone then transfer back in, the transferred service days are NOT considered "paid service" and you'll have to buy 5 new months of service.

3. If service is transferred from the original phone to another phone, that will jeopardize its eligibility for unlocking because in TF's view that IMEI had an interruption of service. Let's say it was in service for 7 months before you transfer out, TF will require another 5 months of service when you reactivate it. But here's a sticky part: if the original phone had come with a year of service, then that will be considered "paid service" for the purpose of unlocking; however, if you transfer its service to another phone then transfer back in, the transferred service days are NOT considered "paid service" and you'll have to buy 5 new months of service.

Thanks. Here's a twist. The current phone (Samsung A51) is a TF locked phone but didn't come with the service. We bought it to upgrade another TF locked phone (slow Moto E5) that came with the 1-yr service. After taking over the #/balance, A51 has been active for 9 months and the plan expires next month. I hope after Orbit 2x transfer, we can unlock A51 after 3 months. If not, it's not the end of the world.

Another q. This Orbit bundle comes with 2 phones with each 1-yr plan (correct me if wrong). We have 3 other TF lines and one will expire in 8 months. How late can we activate Orbit? Can we do it next summer?

acegolfer said:
Here's a twist. The current phone (Samsung A51) is a TF locked phone but didn't come with the service. We bought it to upgrade another TF locked phone (slow Moto E5) that came with the 1-yr service. After taking over the #/balance, A51 has been active for 9 months and the plan expires next month. I hope after Orbit 2x transfer, we can unlock A51 after 3 months. If not, it's not the end of the world.

You said the A51 has been active for 9 months, that means it was activated after 11/23/21, so it's under the new unlocking policy (60 days and transferred days count) and should be eligible for unlocking now. Go to TF Unlocking Site , enter its phone number and IMEI and see what it says.

Another q. This Orbit bundle comes with 2 phones with each 1-yr plan (correct me if wrong). We have 3 other TF lines and one will expire in 8 months. How late can we activate Orbit? Can we do it next summer?

Some forum members successfully activated bundle phones up to 12 months after purchase.

You said the A51 has been active for 9 months, that means it was activated after 11/23/21, so it's under the new unlocking policy (60 days and transferred days count) and should be eligible for unlocking now. Go to TF Unlocking Site , enter its phone number and IMEI and see what it says.

Some forum members successfully activated bundle phones up to 12 months after purchase.

TY, you are right. It is eligible for unlock.

you are right. It is eligible for unlock.

Good deal. TF should display/email you 2 lines of code. Make sure to use the Samsung Phone app (not the Google one) to dial the string of characters to get into the unlocking mode. Sometimes TF sends the two lines of codes out of sequence. If entering the 1st line of codes gets the message "Invalid Code", then enter the 2nd line first.

Good deal. TF should display/email you 2 lines of code. Make sure to use the Samsung Phone app (not the Google one) to dial the string of characters to get into the unlocking mode. Sometimes TF sends the two lines of codes out of sequence. If entering the 1st line of codes gets the message "Invalid Code", then enter the 2nd line first.

Thanks. successfully unlocked.

I pulled an IMEI for this phone from a youtube video and ran it through the Mint BYOD checker. Amazingly, it actually gets VoLTE without band 12, so it's "partially compatible" with T-Mobile from the checker. But the other specs seems correct. No bands 12, 66, 71.

That's good news that it shows that. Understood about it not having the other bands.

Band 12 is T-Mobile main band.

Actually it is not. T-Mobile owns a lot more spectrum of Band 2 and Band 4 than they do Band 12. Band 12 itself really just covers a small amount of frequency spectrum. They originally deployed it in rural areas as it had a longer reach from the tower because it is in a lower band. And in urban areas it would have some better building penetration for the same reason. But it's just 5 MHz of paired spectrum.

Having band 2 and band 4 will allow the device to be used in a lot of areas where T-Mobile has capacity. Granted it may miss some areas but should have the majority.

My friend activated a HSN bundle that was 3 years old and was given service that came with it.

Band 66 is just a superset of band 4, so it's not that important. It just allows some extra speed/capacity. Verizon's main band is Band 13 as you have mentioned.

Band 12 is T-Mobile main band. Band 17 for AT&T, which is a subset of Band 12. It's also missing Band 71 for T-Mobile, which a lot of people who purchase flip phones for T-Mobile wants for extended range/rural areas. But this budget flip was made for Verizon, so having VoLTE support for T-Mobile is a surprise without Band 12.

Thanks for the information. My Go Flip 3 and Flip 2 both have bands 66 and 71 and, even though I'm in town, I get service inside big buildings (which used to be an issue with Sprint). I've been told about this subset stuff before and had forgotten it. I have the memory of senile elephant. I'll have to check out that Mint checker, looks interesting.

That's good news that it shows that. Understood about it not having the other bands.

Actually it is not. T-Mobile owns a lot more spectrum of Band 2 and Band 4 than they do Band 12. Band 12 itself really just covers a small amount of frequency spectrum. They originally deployed it in rural areas as it had a longer reach from the tower because it is in a lower band. And in urban areas it would have some better building penetration for the same reason. But it's just 5 MHz of paired spectrum.

Having band 2 and band 4 will allow the device to be used in a lot of areas where T-Mobile has capacity. Granted it may miss some areas but should have the majority.

Agreed, my LTE phones (iPhone SE 20220 and Pixel 3 XL) have all the T-Mobile LTE bands. In the city they are almost always on band 66, 41 or 2. The only time I ever see 12 or 71 is when I'm deep in a building or on a road trip.

Agreed, my LTE phones (iPhone SE 20220 and Pixel 3 XL) have all the T-Mobile LTE bands. In the city they are almost always on band 66, 41 or 2. The only time I ever see 12 or 71 is when I'm deep in a building or on a road trip.

Same here, Band 41 on my TMo branded LG.
obs=1

Back