Port out info?

WheelieBoot

ToTW Winner
HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
TracFone/VZ
Device(s)
LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
What is the port out process? How to get the account number and pin?

Just wondering. I've ordered a Tello SIM and they issue a number, but allow port in after the number is issued. Just wondering how hard it would be.

Alternative is porting a TracFone number because I have 3 and one needs to go.

Tello allows data to be hotspotted and I can do payments with PayPal.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Tracfone is pretty easy, and it's lots harder than pretty much any other US company.

So who is the losing provider?

Google usually has all the details readily available

I like my H20 number, very easy to remember. Cheap plan but not easy tô find refill locations. Used to use Pinzoo and no fees but now using the H20 website to refill and there are $3 in fees.

Two of my TFs are due to expire May 2024. So I may use one of those numbers if I don't like the number Tello issues.

The amount I pay for a years service on TF would be less than Tello (year eBay bundle that includes a phone) but on that bundle plan there's no hotspot ability. Tello allows it, plus pay the refill with PayPal, so it's worth a test run.

After some consideration I'm sure it will be the TF number expiring 5/3 that I will port over.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

TMI

If you want us to give you the details on how you get the port out info you need, you will need to specify exactly which provider you want to port your number from.

Just a one-word answer, would be best.

After reading your post and seeing you got that from a Google Search, I did the same. Got two answers.

Account number: You need to call customer service a 1-800-643-4926 and ask them to release your number for porting and provide you with your account number and PIN. PIN number: Instructions above. They will ask you to provide the three most recent outgoing calls to verify that it's your number.

Account # is the full 20 digits of the SIM Card number and password is last 4 digits of SIM number. But you need to call customer service at 1-800-643-4926 and ask them to release your number for porting so you might as well confirm the account # and PIN with them.Feb 21, 2020

There is no conflict between those two.

Check for trustworthiness of each site

I'm hoping to get some experience porting out of TF using a number that expires soon. Then if I want to port my main number out, I'll know how.

I've had that number since 2016 but the # I intend to port was an extra I rarely use.

Really I hope the Tello # will be a good one.

Having just ported out of H2O, my account number and PIN was not related to my SIM.

Once I verified my account, they sent a text with my account number to my phone. I had to read that back to the rep. They then verbally told my PIN over the phone. That's all of the data I needed.

It took about 10 minutes to get my number ported over from H2O to Tello.

As far as I know, if you're porting into Tracfone it needs to be on a new activation. They don't seem to have a way to port in after the line has been activated.

So activate a new bundle on porting in, then do a combine if you want after using it a while

A PITA and risky I admit

personally people should be getting away from TF not joining.

BTW if you're done with any plan/provider and want to keep the number

paying NumberBarn monthly to "park" it never made much sense to me

UltraMobile's PAYGO is $3/mo, up front SIM cost $10

IMO a much more reliable option than MobileX, for only $1/mo less.

And likely on its way back into the T-Mobile fold if
Lycamobile does not succeed in trying to kill their Mint Mobile acquisition

-

Having just ported out of H2O, my account number and PIN was not related to my SIM.

Once I verified my account, they sent a text with my account number to my phone. I had to read that back to the rep. They then verbally told my PIN over the phone. That's all of the data I needed.

It took about 10 minutes to get my number ported over from H2O to Tello.

As far as I know, if you're porting into Tracfone it needs to be on a new activation. They don't seem to have a way to port in after the line has been activated.
Thanks for the info. Sounds fairly easy.

I usually dislike doing help desk stuff over the phone, I like to get it in writing via chat or email.

I started a chat with two different TF CSRs to validate port out info and they were so abysmally SLOOOOOOOOW to answer, like they were talking to someone else, I cut the first connection (Antonette), got another (Divine Mercy)... I needed mercy to get that conversation on the road. They would not answer (several minutes between comments) and finally, I asked Mercy if the IMEI number was the account number and she finally came back and said yes. Then silence until I asked if that's all I needed besides the port pin. Then amen to Mercy, I was out of there.

Texted NTP to customer service from the TF I was porting away from, got the reply and pasted the # into the Tello port form.

The TF Moto E IMEI and port pin, zip code, my name & address got the TF number ported to Tello zippity slick FAST.

Once the port form was filled out on the Tello site, restarted the phone and it was working.

The TF was going to expire on May 3rd, so just in time.

Thank you very much for helping with the info about porting.

Now I know how it's done in case I need to port another. I have two TF numbers left, one expiring end of May.

Yes CSRs at these kind of outfits are often dealing with several accounts concurrently

It is completely normal for many minutes to pass between responses, and for a session to take a long time, sometimes well over an hour.

You just go on with other productive activities and frequently check in on the Chat screen or they can drop you, have to start over.

i find the CS reps at tracfone get stuff done really fast later in the evening. if i reach our around 7 or 8 PM MDT for a combine i'm usually done with the chat in under 5 minutes. early afternoon the the same activity often takes 20 minute of chat time with same amount of back and forth communication but long delays in each step.

i imagine they must be chatting with multiple customers simultaneously and so things go faster at what is there slower time of day or possibly the systems they use are slow to respond at certain times.

I just ported another TracFone number to Tello.

It was SUPER fast.
Activated the Tello SIM, filled the Port form, texted NTP to 611611 (TF cust service) and within minutes the Moto e had the number and was working.

I like Tello for allowing SIM swapping, that way any unlocked compatible phone will work.

Was going to try having one Tello SIM in an Orbic flip, but the hotspot didn't work. Everything else did. So I have both Tello SIMs in Moto e phones.

Now I have one TF number, H20 on a flip, two hotspottableTello #'s, and a Google Voice #.

That covers the service bases. TF-Verizon, H20-AT&T, Tello- T-Mo.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I tested that non-Orbic (Flip 2?) bundled last year and it hotspotted from all three carriers.

I think I still have piles of them somewhere if anyone's interested

I think most no, some maybe

TCL Flip 2 T408DL

Make offers, ideally for multiple to make it worthwhile, and cut down on your shipping cost per unit

I think most no, some maybe

TCL Flip 2 T408DL

Make offers, ideally for multiple to make it worthwhile, and cut down on your shipping cost per unit
If most are not unlocked I guess I would probably be better off buying one with a Year's service from TracFone. I wanted an unlocked one to use with a different carrier.

My Orbics are no go for that, too bad. The Nokia is still offered with a years service.

Back