Post-Obi GV to POTS phone...any other good ways anymore ??

Ad Above Message List

smith2

HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
US Mobile & a little Freedompop for free GSMA
Used to be that even after the loss of Obi 1xx/2xx uses that a good work-around was this:
Apparently not any more though.

For those of us who still use VOIP via ATA & POTS phones (cordless of course !!), having some way to make outgoing calls via GV will be very useful.
(Of course incoming calls can easily be forwarded as desired...)

Yes, I know that there are phone sets & devices which use bluetooth, etc. which involve a cellular or wifi only phone device, but that is not what I'm asking about here.

I will never buy anything from Obihai/Polycom again & that is very sad as nothing that I know of can replace a defunct Obi2xx box for this usage.

Any helpful pointers will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

If I understand you correctly you simply want to make outgoing calls from an analog phone and have them be identified with your GV number (this without an ATA setup).

Two ways: 1.) You can call your GV number from your analog phone, respond to the prompts for pass code to enter the menu system, then further navigate to make a call. 2.) On a computer you can visit voice.google.com and through Settings configure it to do a call back to the number of your choosing, in the process of making an outgoing call. Of course from a computer you could follow through and make the same call as a VoIP function, ideally with a headset for best experience.

Does this cover it for you?

Additional: Going over this again after a few hours, I can see that most likely what you're wanting to do is use an analog phone to make VoIP calls, not just something over the PSTN that IDs using your GV number.

Without the Obi approach and hardware, the closest thing I think would be using another SIP service that spoofs your GV number. Actually your Obi (if still functional) can still be used with other services; those services are low-cost, and not free, however.

Last edited:
Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
Thanks for your thoughtful reply Whacker.

I tried to keep the OP brief & it looks like that caused confusion - sorry !!

There is no POTS line here - just internet.

There was a working Obi200 until nearby lightning killed it.
It was set up for GV & also VOIP.MS as SP2.

When that happened the old Obi100 got dug out to be used with VOIP.MS only, but it refused to hold settings & gave endless 403 errors when it tried to register at VOIP.MS.

I also tried to get a friend's Obi110 working with VOIP.MS - same exact outcome.
(Neither was trying to use the Obi portal for provisioning at all.)

So I gave in & bought a GS HT801, which works 100% with VOIP.MS now.

My partner is a total technophobe & we both have hearing problems for which the good, loud cordless phone works best.
Given her limitations I wish to get this set up with no PC or extra steps involved - so she can just pick up the handset & make a call via GV - IF possible.

Catching any incoming calls to the GV DID is easy with forwarding to VOIP.MS enabled, BUT=>
Making outgoing calls via the handset presently cannot use the GV line.
THAT is what I have a wish for & what brought me to post here after finding that the GV Callback app was dead.

Most likely wishful thinking I know - but worth a try to ask.

Thanks for reading all that !!

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Whacker.

I tried to keep the OP brief & it looks like that caused confusion - sorry !!

There is no POTS line here - just internet.

There was a working Obi200 until nearby lightning killed it.
It was set up for GV & also VOIP.MS as SP2.

When that happened the old Obi100 got dug out to be used with VOIP.MS only, but it refused to hold settings & gave endless 403 errors when it tried to register at VOIP.MS.

I also tried to get a friend's Obi110 working with VOIP.MS - same exact outcome.
(Neither was trying to use the Obi portal for provisioning at all.)

So I gave in & bought a GS HT801, which works 100% with VOIP.MS now.

My partner is a total technophobe & we both have hearing problems for which the good, loud cordless phone works best.
Given her limitations I wish to get this set up with no PC or extra steps involved - so she can just pick up the handset & make a call via GV - IF possible.

Catching any incoming calls to the GV DID is easy with forwarding to VOIP.MS enabled, BUT=>
Making outgoing calls via the handset presently cannot use the GV line.
THAT is what I have a wish for & what brought me to post here after finding that the GV Callback app was dead.

Most likely wishful thinking I know - but worth a try to ask.

Thanks for reading all that !!
It is a reasonable question to ask. I will be in a similar situation if/when my Obi 200 with GV stops working. I have thought about it a lot.

There is no way to have a POTS phone make an outgoing GV call without something like the Obi or GV Callback "smarts" to set up the call and without a PC or extra steps.

There are no other analog telephone adapters with GV integration like the Obis. There probably will never be another one. The market is too niche and small to support that type of device.

You could port your GV number to VOIP.MS or another service that works with your GS HT801 or another ATA, but then it would not be a GV number anymore if that matters - it would to me since I count on my GV number working on my cellphones that I use on cellular when mobile.

My transition plan is to use a cellphone without cell service with GV Wifi calling through my cable Internet and a Bluetooth headset. I use a headset with my cordless phones anyway. I have tested this and it works well.

The Cell2Jack device would be similar to the extra steps of using GV Callback - initiate the call on the cellphone in the GV app using GV Wifi calling and then use the cordless phone for the call. Unfortunately, I found the audio quality through the Cell2Jack to not be very good. The audio quality varied with which cellphone I used. Some were atrocious. The best was still not great.

Good luck

Sincere Thanks for your great reply Bobdevnul !!

I will also be sticking with GV as long as it remains a viable option.

The wifi-only cellular solution could be fine for me, but sadly not for my partner.

For now, using the ATA for all calls via VOIP.MS & just forwarding all GV incoming to that will have to suffice.

GV via Obi has truly 'spoiled' us for all this time & will be strongly missed !!

Thanks Again.

There is a GV call back app for iOS (iPhone & iPad) that works quite well. It's called GV Connect.

Hello & Thanks Taoman !!

You are always so helpful with Obi stuff !!!

We have no i-things here, only Android devices & I've not located such a thing for those.

Thanks Again.

We have no i-things here
I thought as much. Depending on how important it is to you, you could grab a used SE3 iPhone off Swappa for $150.

I'm also curious why you opted to go with voip.ms over Callcentric if you're forwarding from GV?

I've had a DID with VOIP.MS for quite a while & toss a few bucks at it when needed.
Also have a CC account & don't remember why I've used it so little - pricing, maybe ??
Just peeked & yep - DID pricing for my very low usages is why.

When my OBI dies, I have a 3G smartphone set up with GV to leave in the kitchen and use as an extension.
Just leave it plugged into the charger all the time. This worked the last time there was a hiccup in GV service.
If you don't have a 3G phone lying around, next time Kroger or Walmart has a low end prepaid smartphone for $20, that would work.

I just opted to pay $10/mo to Vonage, and use an old Motorola VT2442 ATA. It has true 4REN and can push the three rotary phones here (plus a cordless), and can even accept pulse dialing natively.

I had an Obi on the GV setup for a while but it was to buggy for my liking.. if you truly need this for the partner.. then i'd just pay $10/mo to a reputable company to handle it.

@brad15 What forms of spam control does vonage offer? Does it have an IVR option for none-whitelisted numbers? What is considered "fair use"?

I'll put it this way - i've never gotten a spam call on my number, nor have I had anyone who I wanted to get a call from be marked as SPAM.

And as far as fair use, i've had Vonage for ages.. some months there's 10min of use some months there's several thousand minutes of use. I've never once heard a complaint from Vonage about it.

I can even send fax, and use bbs/dial up over it.. it works *very* well, once you enable the 90kbps codec they offer in your online control panel.

It even includes unlimited use of the automated 411, which comes in handy when my parents/grandparents visit as they use the crap out of it.

When you sign up they'll send you a basic current ATA, but if you're a nerd like I am and want the option to plug in old rotary phones or just a more reliable ATA.. just grab a Motorola VT2442 off of ebay for dirt cheap (around $15) and transfer your lines to it in the online portal. I find those old Motorola ATA's to be nearly bulletproof and work exactly like a POTS line.

^^We get upwards of 10-15 robo callers daily. Some from rather legitimate looking numbers.

Have 2 vonage labeled HT802's that are unlocked for generic use. Is that what they sent you, or some other ata?

^^We get upwards of 10-15 robo callers daily. Some from rather legitimate looking numbers.

Have 2 vonage labeled HT802's that are unlocked for generic use. Is that what they sent you, or some other ata?
They sent me HT802s. They're fine. I just don't think the REN is as strong as it could be.

The 802s are fine though if you only plan on plugging in modern phones id assume but I'm odd and have three rotary sets hooked up. The 802 could barely even ring one of those.

I just opted to pay $10/mo to Vonage, and use an old Motorola VT2442 ATA. It has true 4REN and can push the three rotary phones here (plus a cordless), and can even accept pulse dialing natively.

I had an Obi on the GV setup for a while but it was to buggy for my liking.. if you truly need this for the partner.. then i'd just pay $10/mo to a reputable company to handle it.
Some reviews (maybe older) say Vonage ups the rate to $25.99/mo after one year. Not true?

Some reviews (maybe older) say Vonage ups the rate to $25.99/mo after one year. Not true?

Likely older. I've been on a $10 plan for ages. I just asked customer service for it as I was paying $15/mo before and they moved it no problem.

Been on the $10 plan for several years now.

Maybe not so old. Last fall they agreed to a settlement with the FTC: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...-who-were-trapped-subscriptions-dark-patterns

I've had them for years and never had an issue, and have several family members on them as well with zero issues.

It's like anything, just reading the fine print is important, which people suck at doing.

When ordering they did use to have a price for 6mos of a super low promo price, then it'd go up... but they no longer have those promos and it's just upfront pricing. I never paid the higher pricing though, as I just asked them to put me on the cheaper plan and they did right off the bat.

The vast majority of USians are so well off, they just autopay recurring subscriptions without thinking about the line items, or even looking.

To the point that there are dozens of services based on helping them manage all the free trials, special offers etc they sign up for and forget about, Truebill being a leading example

Back