Removing your OBi device from OBiTALK dashboard

taoman

HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
US Mobile, VZW prepaid
Device(s)
iPhone 13 mini
EOL date is coming up fast and I imagine a lot of you will be removing your OBi device(s) from the OBiTALK dashboard. Not much reason to leave it there if you can no longer use OBiTALK to configure it. Be sure your GV trunks are in good working order on both the OBi side and Google Voice setup side of things before doing anything.

Just a reminder you need to take certain steps to disable provisioning and services before you remove your OBi device. If you don't, OBiTALK will overwrite your current configuration when you "Delete Device" from the dashboard.

The following is what RonR (from dslreports) advises and he probably has forgotten more about OBi devices than I'll ever know. I suggest you follow his advice.

RonR said:
To be on the safe side, the following will ensure that the OBiTALK Web Portal doesn't have access to your device:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update -> Method : Disabled

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> LUA Script Update -> Method : Disabled

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTalk Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> OBiTALK Service Settings -> Enable : (unchecked)

Just to be sure I understand - after disconnecting, our Obi will still work just as it does now? But if we leave our device connected to the OBiTALK Web Portal they could, at their convenience, disable it remotely? I hadn't thought about what might happen from their end. I do intend to provision two more unused Obi200's before the end of the year.

This is all news to me. I didn't think we had to do anything to maintain service except for worrying and wondering when Google might halt things from their end. Is their any more explicit and comprehensive guide for what really needs to be done in total other than a post that assumes we've been following the fine details from dslreports all along (and I do appreciate your input, taoman; don't take this the wrong way).

And I also have two "spare" units I bought back before knowing Obi/Poly/HP was pulling the plug at the time. If there's any way to pre-configure them for use with the same GV number and use in case one goes down due to a power surge or whatever mishap may occur (to be able to just swap in somehow), I'd sure like to read a discussion about that. Of course all of that is mostly moot if the Google side goes dark, but word was that that wouldn't be an immediate concern.

Just to be sure I understand - after disconnecting, our Obi will still work just as it does now? But if we leave our device connected to the OBiTALK Web Portal they could, at their convenience, disable it remotely? I hadn't thought about what might happen from their end. I do intend to provision two more unused Obi200's before the end of the year.
Yes, your OBi will work just as it does now.

Not if you disable the provisioning and services listed above. But that's not the point. HP/Poly is not going to disable your OBi. They are going to disable the ability to provision your OBi via OBiTALK or add a Google Voice trunk. The point of my post is to disable those services and provisioning so you can safely remove your OBi device from the OBiTALK portal dashboard without losing your current configuration.

Have you actually read the EOL statement? You don't have until the "end of the year." You have until 12-18-23. That's this Monday.
OBiTALK calling service will continue to be supported for the OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 until December 18, 2023. OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices may continue to work after the end of service date, but they will not be able to get added to the Google Voice service after December 18, 2023. OBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices registered prior to the End of Engineering Support date won’t be able to be provisioned via OBiTALK after the December 18, 2023 and can only be managed and provisioned locally (manually).

I didn't think we had to do anything to maintain service except for worrying and wondering when Google might halt things from their end. Is their any more explicit and comprehensive guide for what really needs to be done in total other than a post that assumes we've been following the fine details from dslreports all along (and I do appreciate your input, taoman; don't take this the wrong way).
You don't have to do anything. You can leave your OBi on the OBiTALK portal dashboard if you wish. But you won't be able configure it (except manually) starting 12-18-23. So I assumed most people would want to remove their OBi from the portal since it will no longer serve any purpose.

whacker said:
And I also have two "spare" units I bought back before knowing Obi/Poly/HP was pulling the plug at the time. If there's any way to pre-configure them for use with the same GV number and use in case one goes down due to a power surge or whatever mishap may occur (to be able to just swap in somehow), I'd sure like to read a discussion about that. Of course all of that is mostly moot if the Google side goes dark, but word was that that wouldn't be an immediate concern.
Well you better get on it and add them to the OBiTALK portal and configure your GV trunk(s). You can have multiple OBi devices configured simultaneously for the same GV number(s). I have 2 200s and 1 202 currently configured for 2 GV numbers.

Edit: People are having problems adding their OBi to the OBiTALK portal. It's timing out. You better get on this asap or you'll run out of time. The OBi servers are flakey on a good day but they're especially flakey on the weekends.

Last edited:
I'm planning to get deeper into this tomorrow, but since the longevity of the Google end of this saga is not known, and further configuration of a working Obi 200 setup as is doesn't seem to be necessary, it doesn't seem to be an imperative (taking the device off the portal). But if it's just a matter of making a clean break and not allowing the possibility of any interference from the portal, I can see that. I have no qualms about manual configuration of the device, as long as it shouldn't need a systems analyst level of knowledge. I would assume someone's done it and posted about it, likely on dslreports.

But anyway, more tomorrow.

I'm planning to get deeper into this tomorrow, but since the longevity of the Google end of this saga is not known, and further configuration of a working Obi 200 setup as is doesn't seem to be necessary, it doesn't seem to be an imperative (taking the device off the portal). But if it's just a matter of making a clean break and not allowing the possibility of any interference from the portal, I can see that. I have no qualms about manual configuration of the device, as long as it shouldn't need a systems analyst level of knowledge. I would assume someone's done it and posted about it, likely on dslreports.

But anyway, more tomorrow.

if i understand correctly manual configuration may no longer work after Monday as well

the manual configuration using modded firmware still require an Obi generated credentials, this may(likely) no longer be possible

^^Will need the naf firmware to manually configure the device. If I recall, the creds rely strictly on google to be generated. Similar to getting an oauth token.

I went this route many years ago mainly to avoid the use of the obi portal for provisioning purposes.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31792784-Obihai-OBi20x-30x-OBi1000-OBi50x-OBi2000-firmware-mods

As this is a third party firmware, by flashing you void any and all warranty, support, etc from obi/poly/hp/what ever they call themselves these days.

Looking at my 2 units (200/202), both are still on the 5821 fw, working quite well all this time.

@taoman:

Does the act of making those changes you listed (from "RonR") using the internal System page of the Obi device (accessed by IP in a browser, essentially an embedded web page) itself constitute the removal of the Obi device from ObiTalk, or is there a procedure on ObiTalk that finalizes the removal? I see in some of the online comments scattered around that the changes made to the System require you to Reboot or Restart the device (makes sense, like most devices). Been a while since I ventured in there so i don't know the controls and conventions.

And again, the idea of the removal is to benefit things how? Future manual configuration capability, or avoiding potential interference from errant moves by whoever controls ObiTalk? That's in doubt too, because as I understand it manual configuration won't be possible either, at least as regards Google Voice, due to the credentials generation methods needed. Just trying to get a better understanding of what's important and what might not be.

Update: Ok, I see in your OP that the "Delete Device" command/function in ObiTalk overwrites your config settings (obviously very bad), so you have to do those internal things first. Got that.

Also, I'm moving forward with this with no modded firmware; just whatever has been installed since I believe one update from Obihai back in the day.

Well, I was able to successfully configure my spare OBi200's with two GV numbers each using the ObiTalk portal. I intend to use my current units until they die and then swap to the new units I just configured.

I have Anveo 911 on both of my original units. Is there a way to also have it on the new (unused) units without paying double for the fees?

^^Once device is configured to NOT pull settings from obi server, any changes made at the server will no longer reflect on the device. That is device is fully divorced from provisioning server. It doesn't matter what you do on the obi server. You can leave the device, remove it, makes no difference.

If the obi should ever be factory reset before they decommission the provisioning server, then it will pull from there again (as that's the default configuration on the obi device).

Iirc we did this back in the day mainly to keep obi from pushing broken fw updates, and/or changing other settings. Truth be told, I haven't touch either obi options in years. More recently (probably due to google changes), we've experienced a condition where outbound (via gv) calls on the obi would fail intermittently. I set up a cron job else where to push a reboot to the obi nightly. Not sure if coincidence or not, but haven't heard of the issue reoccurring.

Thanks GPz1100. That helps.

@southsound: So, you just power off one device, physically disconnect it, connect up the new one and power it up, and proceed like it's a virgin setup? Did you delete one device before adding another, or after adding a new one does it show both in the Dashboard? I wonder if, on an Android phone running the GV app, the OBITALK number listed under Devices changes, or if the devices all appear. The latter seems unlikely, since GV should only pass on up-to-date connections (one would think). We shall soon see.

I've also got Anveo 911 service for my one unit. I hadn't thought about how they charge. Per device, I would suppose.

https://i.imgur.com/k7WlLcS.png

The 2nd and 4th refer to the same physical device.

#2 and #3 were manually configured, #4 via obitalk.

I've long since removed them from the obitalk site itself.

https://i.imgur.com/mPDBKkR.png

The names are really just labels. You can define it when doing the config manually. ${DSN} something or other.

Re 911, I would imagine by the address, no?

@whacker

I just went to the dashboard and clicked add a new device. It configures just like before using the GV Setup option. IIRC it spends a long time configuring then it does not work until you do a firmware update when it prompts you. Then, viola! Success. I tried incoming and outgoing on both devices. Now they will sit in a closet and I hope to never need them

A sincere thank you to all who have helped me with both my GV experience and my old flashed Moto G (GPz1100 ):cool:

Are you going to delete any/all devices from ObiTalk, including the procedure for going in and disconnecting from the Obi server, as taoman outlined in the OP?

^^Glad you got it figured out. The real question is how long post 12/18/23 will this whole arrangement continue working for. My contingency plan is to use anveo wholesale for outbound while still using callcentric for inbound.

Are you going to delete any/all devices from ObiTalk, including the procedure for going in and disconnecting from the Obi server, as taoman outlined in the OP?

No, I think I'll just leave the working OBi's (one OBi200 & one OB202) as they are. I don't see any benefit in disconnecting unless the current OB1 owners decided to pull a nasty and disable things remotely. I am pretty sure that won't happen but you never know.

No, I think I'll just leave the working OBi's (one OBi200 & one OB202) as they are. I don't see any benefit in disconnecting unless the current OB1 owners decided to pull a nasty and disable things remotely. I am pretty sure that won't happen but you never know.

It's not necessary to remove them from OBiTALK dashboard. The only point of my post was if you did you need to take certain steps so that your configuration wasn't wiped and returned to the default. And if you disable those services and provisioning HP/Poly won't be able to "pull a nasty."

I got one new device added, but my third (2nd spare) is stuck in a firmware recovery mode (Power LED alternating red/green). You don't get any dialtone from a connected handset in this mode. Not to say it's the only thing wrong, but I've been looking for the latest OEM firmware to do it manually through the device web page, and haven't found it yet. None of the links I've come across that previously pointed to an official Obi source are working. Anyone have a source for v3.2.2 build 8680EX? I hear that's from 2021.

Update: Links on reddit mostly point to Poly's new owner HP, and once on that site there's no sign of any Poly ATA devices or support. I'm hoping to find an archive of it somewhere (or even an older version, just to get the device up and visible on the ObiTalk portal). If there's an archive on the HP site, someone please give me a clue how to navigate to it.

Found it here, finally: https://support.poly.com/support/s/...date-Instructions-For-Latest-Firmware-Version

Last edited:
Sorry all. Just woke up to this I was under an Obi rock for the past 2 years. Right now my Obi talk dashboard shows sp1 my gv connected. And SP2 - Anveo - Registered. I dont feel like going down that 3rd party route. If I do nothing, what’s the worse that can happen?

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Back