SIM tied to IMEI?

Not clear to me what the advantage is. You have an activated target device with a SIM known to Tracfone, but your IMEI doesn't match their records. Maybe it's good enough to fly under their radar, but if you want to do something else with the phone later, like combine balances, then you have a problem. Things are easier when Tracfone is happy.
the advantage is I can use the service with a device not listed as 'compatible'

need be I can always put the SIM back into the paired too device

When bundled, they come with the 400 minute plan tripled I believe.

You can check that I think by going to the bundled line in manage lines, and at the bottom click refill now.

new2.JPG

And then it will show the current plan which if nothing was added should be the $99.99 400 minute plan as I recall.

ok.JPG

the advantage is I can use the service with a device not listed as 'compatible'

need be I can always put the SIM back into the paired too device

Just be aware, whatever the reasons for SIM swapping other than saving a dollar

If the pairing was from a bundled phone, some of TF's systems will treat that completely differently from lines initialised via a BYOP SIM kit.

The TF system will often show the correct "newly SIM swapped" device for latter non-VZW lines in MyAccount, TF knows about it and has no issues.

I haven't run into TF turning down BYOP activation of any devices that passed the MNO-network IMEI checker, or were otherwise previously working OK on the respective network.

Maybe it's good enough to fly under their radar, but if you want to do something else with the phone later, like combine balances, then you have a problem.
That's just FUD misinfo, this SIM-swapping issue has no impact on the Combining process whatsoever

If the "newly SIM swapped" phone works for a few weeks on the network, then everyone concerned including TF is happy.

Pretty sure there is no negative issue at all SIM-swapping with

A. bundled TF-branded devices

and/or

B. TF lines on the VZW network

VZW direct has no problem with it, it's a TF quirk.

Back