Simply "Make A Payment" if FreedomPop is "suspended" or "Billing information is required" or ...

I just looked at the chat transcript and the rep was using "Cancel Auto Renew" and "Cancel Auto-refill Subscription" interchangeably. After I did the cancellation, I reported that "Automatic Payment now shows Inactive".

Great; thanks. I try clicking the "Cancel Recurring Subscription" button.

*Edit to Add:*

That worked. Although it was a bit hard to figure out how to navigate to where I could input the CC info for payment.

[And in doing this for my GSMA account, the "missing billing info" nag disappeared from my GSMT account (for which, up til now, I was using the same virtual Visa). And even though I was seeing the red banner for the GSMT account, and an indication that service was suspended, the line still worked fine.]

If your line is suspended and theres no option to make payment, need to get on chat for them to reactivate, then the make payment will appear again.

After you subscribe again, need to log out then back in to see the line active.

I am sorry, I feel like people are overthinking this.

If GSMA 100/100/100 or GSMT does not auto renew, it really is as simple as I wrote on 2/13 (except I just changed Cancel to red):
I clicked on "Make A Payment" > Cancel > SUBSCRIBE.

It is exactly how people have been dealing with the same situation. See:
https://www.howardforums.com/showth...)-Info-amp-Discussion?p=17259817#post17259817

After the website accepts your payment, the line Status does not change right away.
When you are on the main (line-details) page, under My Plan, (as I recall) it shows Pending <time>.
(Again as I recall, the <time> is the payment time [seen under MY ACCOUNT > Account History].)
Refresh the page (no need to log out and back in, but give it a minute or a few), the line Status changes when Pending <time> is gone.

Last edited:
Another weird data point: GSMA sim card just got suspended after normally auto-renewing on the 24th but yesterday when I logged in everything was ok but no payment in account history and still showed active not suspended

Today logged in again, even though it say auto renew 2/24/24, still did not auto-renew but this time had suspended banner on top.
Simply had to click on "Make a Payment" and re-enter CC info and became active again. No need to "cancel" anything. Account history showed renewal as of today and was immediate without having to log in or out but simply refreshing the page.

Guess we need to check day before/day after each month going forward. Perhaps they're enforcing the manually renew terms that was never really enforced until now. Got GSMA sim at Target back in June 2023 and despite posts about manually renewing, never had to do that until now.

Will see if this repeats itself next month.

Last edited:
My GSMT line is scheduled to renew today and I had the red banner at the top of my page saying I needed to add a payment method.
So, yesterday, rather than waiting to see what happened I went ahead and clicked on Make a Payment, added my CC info, and made sure the free plan was selected. It went through smoothly and told me I was set up for auto - renew.

Sent from my moto g stylus (XT2115DL) using Tapatalk

My GSMT line is scheduled to renew today and I had the red banner at the top of my page saying I needed to add a payment method.
So, yesterday, rather than waiting to see what happened I went ahead and clicked on Make a Payment, added my CC info, and made sure the free plan was selected. It went through smoothly and told me I was set up for auto - renew.

My GSMT line is also scheduled to renew today. All seems normal -- no red banner.

"Your account is Active, and your next payment of $0.00 +taxes is due in 0 days, on February 29,2024. You have 239 minutes, 994 text messages and 99.97 MBs of data remaining."

Interestingly, my GSMT plan NO LONGER reflects this language on the account page (it did last time I looked): "On the free plan?-You cannot have a recurring subscription on the free plan. When on the free plan, you must manually renew your free service every time it expires."

That language DOES, however, still appear on my GSMA account page.

"On the free plan?-You cannot have a recurring subscription on the free plan. When on the free plan, you must manually renew your free service every time it expires."

I have two GSMT lines (created in 2022) and one GSMA line (created this week), each in a seperate account. I added payment on 2/13 to unsuspend GSMT #1, but on 2/27 when it was due for renewal it got suspended again. Had to add its payment info again to get it active again. If I have to go through this process every month, I'm going to ditch my FP lines, I don't need them that badly.

Mine stopped working also. Website says it “expired” two days ago. Naturally came here first. FP site was a piece of cake. Just hit renew (for $0.00) and re-entered my CC number and it immediately works again. First time I’ve had to renew. From now on my renewal date is on my calendar so I don’t get caught out without a working phone.

For the first time, one of my GSMA 100/100/100 plans did not auto-renew. It was suspended/expired. I did have a credit card on the account.

I had to delete the credit card and then re-add it to "make a payment". My card was not charged, but my account was still suspended. I figured I had to log out and log back in, and that did the trick. My account is now active.

My GSMT line is also scheduled to renew today. All seems normal -- no red banner.

"Your account is Active, and your next payment of $0.00 +taxes is due in 0 days, on February 29,2024. You have 239 minutes, 994 text messages and 99.97 MBs of data remaining."

Interestingly, my GSMT plan NO LONGER reflects this language on the account page (it did last time I looked): "On the free plan?-You cannot have a recurring subscription on the free plan. When on the free plan, you must manually renew your free service every time it expires."

Same for me! GSMA has "You cannot have a recurring subscription on the free plan. When on the free plan, you must manually renew your free service every time it expires"; GSMT does not.

Nothing has changed regarding the "On the free plan?" message. GSMA 10/10/25 and 100/100/100 have had it, but GSMT has not.
ecs0013 documented on 06-17-2023:
Curiously enough, there's language on the GSMA Target line that isn't on the GSMT Walmart line:

You should not need to log out and back in. Instead,
Refresh the page (no need to log out and back in, but give it a minute or a few), the line Status changes when Pending <time> is gone.

Given a 31-day renewal cycle for GSMA, here are sample cycles in a non-leap year:
Code:
  Last Manual Cycle on  Actual
   Day  Renew    Phone   Cycle
1    5      6 1/6 -2/5    -2/5
2    5      6 2/6 -3/5    -3/8
3    8      9 3/9 -4/8    -4/8
4    8      9 4/9 -5/8    -5/9
5    9     10 5/10-6/9    -6/9
6    9     10 6/10-7/9    -7/10
7   10     11 7/11-8/10   -8/10
8   10     11 8/11-9/10   -9/10 
9   10     11 9/11-10/10  -10/11
10  11     12 10/12-11/11 -11/11
11  11     12 11/12-12/11 -12/12
12  12     13 12/13-1/12  -1/12
1   12     13

In months 2, 4, 6, 9, 11:
the renewal date of month changes for the following month.

In months 3, 5, 7, 10, 12:
change the billing cycle date in Data Manager to just manual renewed date.

Well, I outsmarted myself by setting up the payment info before the renewal date, as it appears that we now have to manually renew every 30 days. I checked today and both my GSMA and GSMT lines were inactive. I added CC info and successfully reactivated the GSMA line. However, the GSMT line (which already had CC info from last week) was not cooperating with me. I got the "Error. You passed an empty string for 'customer', and I forgot it had been mentioned here, so I did an online chat. The CSR did something behind the scenes and then I was able to re-enter the CC info and proceed. She told me if I got that error in the future to clear the cache and cookies.

I asked her if we had to manually renew every 30 days and she said yes. Bummer.

Just got the message "You passed an empty string for 'customer'. We assume empty values are an attempt to unset a parameter; however 'customer' cannot be unset. You should remove 'customer' from your request or supply a non-empty value" also

I gave my elderly In laws the phone with a freedompop sim card. Just noticed this message and I guess I will ask them for assistance. I still have some freeup mobile sim cards which I don't have to do anything for years. Guess I will be letting them use this instead.

Just got the message "You passed an empty string for 'customer'. We assume empty values are an attempt to unset a parameter; however 'customer' cannot be unset. You should remove 'customer' from your request or supply a non-empty value" also

I gave my elderly In laws the phone with a freedompop sim card. Just noticed this message and I guess I will ask them for assistance.

No need to ask C.S. for help. There are posts on the previous page showing how to fix it yourself.

Happened again yesterday. Guess they are now finally enforcing the manual renewal going foward.

Seems even if you update your credit info and cancel/renew before it becomes inactive/suspended, it makes no difference.

You HAVE TO wait until it actually expires or suspends before you can renew it.

Unless you time it right or check every hour, it's quite possible someone using this as a main phone can be without service for even a short period with this tedious process. Well, even as a backup, you can be caught without service for a short period.

Happened again yesterday. Guess they are now finally enforcing the manual renewal going foward.

Seems even if you update your credit info and cancel/renew before it becomes inactive/suspended, it makes no difference.

Yes, it's becoming a monthly PITA. I have two GSMT and one GSMA. They all had to be manually renewed last week. They're my extra backup lines. I probably will ditch two of them.

No doubt, now truly a PIA! I easily renewed last month but renewing today tested my patience. Selecting “cancel subscription” was the key I think but just in case I used a different credit card. Working for another month now! Hey, free is free.

No doubt, now truly a PIA! I easily renewed last month but renewing today tested my patience. Selecting “cancel subscription” was the key I think but just in case I used a different credit card.

I got tired of trying to remember how to do it each month, I took a series of screenshots and wrote up the procedure below.

Whenever a Free Freedompop line gets Suspended due to Failed Renewal, do these steps:

1. Log into FP account.
2. For GSMT line, Scroll down to Payment Information, Click on Cancel Recurring Subscription. It'll pop-up with a warning. Click on OK. Log out then Log back in. Go to Step 4.
3. For GSMA line, there's no option to Cancel Recurring Subscription. Click on Make Payment on left side of the screen then go to step 5.
4. It'll show three boxes, one says "Billing Information Is Required". Click on the blue Add Details xxx-xxx-xxxx (phone number).
5. On the next screen, click on SUBSCRIBE.
6. On the next few screens, fill out credit card info for that account, then click on CHECKOUT.
7. It'll go through some calculations then shows the paid amount was $0.00,
8. Log off, wait a few minutes then log back on. Should be back to normal.

I'm curious if anyone knows how long after a manual renewal is not done, will they cancel the line completely?

As a backup phone, having to renew at one's leisure few days or few weeks later is fine so long as they don't cancel it in the interim for non-renewal.

Even if they cancel, but you can re-active with a new number simply by entering new credit card info, that would be nice but wishful thinking.

I got tired of trying to remember how to do it each month, I took a series of screenshots and wrote up the procedure below.

Whenever a Free Freedompop line gets Suspended due to Failed Renewal, do these steps:

1. Log into FP account.
2. For GSMT line, Scroll down to Payment Information, Click on Cancel Recurring Subscription. It'll pop-up with a warning. Click on OK. Log out then Log back in. Go to Step 4.
3. For GSMA line, there's no option to Cancel Recurring Subscription. Click on Make Payment on left side of the screen then go to step 5.
4. It'll show three boxes, one says "Billing Information Is Required". Click on the blue Add Details xxx-xxx-xxxx (phone number).
5. On the next screen, click on SUBSCRIBE.
6. On the next few screens, fill out credit card info for that account, then click on CHECKOUT.
7. It'll go through some calculations then shows the paid amount was $0.00,
8. Log off, wait a few minutes then log back on. Should be back to normal.

Thanks for a very nice writeup, @hpham.

I too have one of each and jumped through various hoops this past Saturday. Your writeup will be a time saver going forward ... while I try to decide if what I'll keep and what I'll cancel.

Back