Switch to Visible or stay with Tracfone?

Bitzer18

Carrier(s)
Tracfone
Device(s)
Google Pixel 6 Pro and Google Pixel 6a
Some recent threads about porting, hotspots and Visible have got me thinking about switching out of Tracfone to Visible.

I'm on the $200/year plan with Tracfone (Verizon service) and am generally satisfied except that my data seems to be slow (about 10 mbps download and about 2 up) and Tracfone does not allow hotspot.

I would gladly pay the approximately $100/yr extra for Visible (assuming I could find a stable group of at least 4) if I could get a little better data speed with Visible compared to Tracfone. The hotspot feature with Visible would be a big bonus but the unlimited data would be a neutral because I don't use the full 12 gb of data from Tracfone anyway.

Does anyone know if Visible data is generally faster than Tracfone's or is it the same because you are still receiving the same Verizon data at any given time and place regardless of whether you are using Visible or Tracfone at the moment?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Visible groups listed on Reddit? Are they safe to use with the only downside that people may leave the group?

Thanks!

Some recent threads about porting, hotspots and Visible have got me thinking about switching out of Tracfone to Visible.

I'm on the $200/year plan with Tracfone (Verizon service) and am generally satisfied except that my data seems to be slow (about 10 mbps download and about 2 up) and Tracfone does not allow hotspot.

I would gladly pay the approximately $100/yr extra for Visible (assuming I could find a stable group of at least 4) if I could get a little better data speed with Visible compared to Tracfone. The hotspot feature with Visible would be a big bonus but the unlimited data would be a neutral because I don't use the full 12 gb of data from Tracfone anyway.

Does anyone know if Visible data is generally faster than Tracfone's or is it the same because you are still receiving the same Verizon data at any given time and place regardless of whether you are using Visible or Tracfone at the moment?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Visible groups listed on Reddit? Are they safe to use with the only downside that people may leave the group?

Thanks!

Those postings you've been reading likely also mentioned Visible's data issues. Though IMHO 10 mbps isn't slow for average users unless you're streaming TV or downloading movies. Your location is the major player in speed, not the mvno. From all my readings, speed will be no better with Visible then TF. Visible is no higher on the priority pool then any other vzw mvno.
If you've liked TF and are looking for HS allow-ability, TW has those plans. I think RP too. Maybe more then you want to spend.
Also, again from my readings, the whole 5 people party's on Visible are a thing of the past.

Does anyone know if Visible data is generally faster than Tracfone's ?

I've signed up with Visible several times (total of 12 lines) but only stayed 1-2 months each time to get the rewards, so I didn't use their service much to really compare with TF.

One of the Party Pay groups on Reddit has hundreds of members. People joined and left constantly, no risk of it getting below the minimum of 4 or 5 members.

First my group has over 13,000 members & you'd be accepted in less than 15 minutes. Nobody knows eachothers info.

If you're getting stable speeds with TF imho you should stay. I've been with Visible a year. Ime the hotspot speeds are terrible. I'm hooked on the unlimited Data even I don't use much. I might lol. Same with unlimited minutes & texts. At my age I don't want to be in any shtf situations without unlimited everything so Visible fits me.

If I was to switch though I'd go to Tello's (TM) UTT 1GB unlimited 64kbps for $10mo, less than $11 otd. And if I didn't want unlimited slow Data I'd go with hard capped Liberty Wireless (TM) UTT 1GB for $100 year, less than $110 otd. And if I didn't want any Data I'd go Liberty Wireless (TM) UTT for $60 year, less than $65 otd.

Visible has just announced savings with an annual plan pre-purchase. I'm still on the Tracfone Verizon $199 plan with 20gb of data. For an extra $75/yr Visible is offering hotspotting and unlimited data. Aside from the $75/yr cost increase, does anyone see a downside to switching to Visible?

If I stay with Tracfone, what is the least expensive way to add data only? $10 for 1GB seems pretty expensive

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aside from the $75/yr cost increase, does anyone see a downside to switching to Visible?
I had Visible service off and on about 3 years ago to trade/swap phones with them. I had no problems with their cell service but Visible is picky about which phones they considered "Compatible". Even phones that work with TF/Verizon or passed Verizon's Compatible Check might not pass Visible's Compatible Check. Member zapjb is a big fan of Visible but now is somewhat mad at them because he SIM-swapped an active Visible into his Metro-Unlocked Moto G Stylus phone and it worked for 10 days before Visible disconnected the line because the phone is "Not Compatible". Huh? It worked for 10 days, so obviously it has compatible hardware. But apparently it's not on Visible's whitelist.

I use Visible as a downloading line for the family, we do 600 - 800GBs / mo for $20

During depri times, many times a week it gets unusably slow for hours so NG for a daily driver.

5G UW would help, but the 50GB "priority" on Plus would not.

With a bit of risky hoop jumping, can get TF down to $3/GB and $3/mo for UTT

Please let me clarify, I was wondering if it is possible to buy stand alone data (just data) for less than $10/gb

Please let me clarify, I was wondering if it is possible to buy stand alone data (just data) for less than $10/gb
No absolutely not, I thought the implication would be clear enough.

See https://www.howardforums.com/showth...st-per-month-AND-low-PayGo-add-on-cost-per-GB

MobileX is $2.10 /GB

Priority VZW data but higher latency, tunneled

$ 1.99 /mo line charge to keep your number active

$4.95 UTT, can omit T&T completely

$2.10 per GB, a là carte, in effect never expires

If you have a TF branded phone, you may be able to get it for $8 a GB at the moment.

Capture.JPG

Your location is the major player in speed, not the mvno. From all my readings, speed will be no better with Visible then TF. Visible is no higher on the priority pool then any other vzw mvno.

That's true. I just did a speedtest on my phone testing the TF/Verizon 4G LTE and I got these results which is pretty typical.

On 5G I get 300 mbps +. using TF/Verizon.

More at night and early mornings and when I'm outside not in a building surrounded by buildings.

IMG_0152.PNG

Last edited:
Meaningless differences

Anything over 15/20 is fine unless streaming video at resolutions you can't appreciate on a phone.

The key for a daily driver is **consistency**, the places you go and timings for traffic peaks.

I can get 100+ on Visible, but when rush hour hits goes below 1-2Mbps.

TMO might be slower on average but always functional. But that is just for me and the places I go.

Back