T-Mobile is deploying 1900MHz HSPA/4G

Maybe this is how they're expanding 3G/4G to rural areas? This is awesome, if it becomes more widespread, maybe I'll get and iPhone :D

Also is there any way to check if the phone is running on 1700/2100 or 1900 3G?

This is positive news indeed, and shows that T-Mobile continues to innovate!

They can use this to supplement AWS HSPA+ :)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

Nice! Devices that i know have 1900mhz 3g support include the Samsung S 4g, the Dell mini netbook, amaze 4g, and the t-mobile samsung galaxy tab 10.1.

This is great news and I hope that it becomes more widespread. This will make phone selection so much better.

No 1900 3G phone in the market.
And just to clarify that quote for those that don't know, that statement is entirely untrue. There are some Tmobile branded phones that can utilize PCS, but most don't. On the otherhand, almost all phones are capable of 3G on PCS, so if you want to hang on to tzones, this will be a godsend.

Will this allow them to expand 3G more? I thought they had Nationwide AWS. Or is this more a capacity thing?

Will this allow them to expand 3G more? I thought they had Nationwide AWS. Or is this more a capacity thing?
Is it any cheaper to run 1900mhz 3g? Maybe they have some type of tower equiptment that does both vs. a seperate one for 2g and aws? Who knows. We will know if this is going to be more widespread if we see more and more phones with 1900mhz 3g/4g support. (And quite a bit do now)

No 1900 3G phone in the market.

WRONG!!!
Pharos 137 has AWS/1900
Galaxy Nexus has all 5 HSPA bands
Most recent Nokia smartphones have penta-HSPA bands
HTC Amaze and Samsung GSII Hercules have AWS + 1900 bands
Is there any more phones?

Also is there any way to check if the phone is running on 1700/2100 or 1900 3G?
If you have a Samsung or iPhone (of course if you have one and are getting 3G on it, you would know). Most unlock guides say to keep the 3G off so some may never know..

It will allow them to have higher network capacity and better coverage as the PCS band is slightly lower but see below. AWS 3G/4G runs at a low power in a lot of places to keep capacity higher. They might be able to mitigate this with PCS.

How? Where? Source? This would be great for all the iPhone users

Source is in the OP, and the post I quoted. The location is in there too. It's in Pennsylvania.

Nice! Devices that i know have 1900mhz 3g support include the Samsung S 4g, the Dell mini netbook, amaze 4g, and the t-mobile samsung galaxy tab 10.1.

Right, androided.. stop spreading around lies.. I know you won't but seriously. Add some of the USB modems, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S Vibrant (not sure about the Sidekick 4G), and some other devices I'm forgetting.

Is it any cheaper to run 1900mhz 3g? Maybe they have some type of tower equiptment that does both vs. a seperate one for 2g and aws? Who knows. We will know if this is going to be more widespread if we see more and more phones with 1900mhz 3g/4g support. (And quite a bit do now)

From what I understand they won't need to change out any antenna panels, as they already support 1900MHz. Now I'm just speculating, but I believe PCS will have much better coverage than AWS if the network engineers run PCS 3G/4G at a higher power level than they do AWS.

The samsung s 4g
Dell Mini Netbook
Some of the older webconnect sticks
samsung vibrant (I think you need to enable it)
HTC Radar

The thing with t-mobile is they don't make a point to tell anybody it includes 1900mhz (or 850mhz) 3g/4g at all. Not mentioned sometimes. (And the dell mini netbook was released what, a year and a half ago with 1900 and 950 mhz 3g support?)

Are you sure they werent just testing 3g in those areas? I remember before tmobile officially launched 3g while they waiting for the spectrum to be freed up in 2006, there were areas where they were testing 3g on the 1900 band just to install equipment. But after awhile it was blocked from customer usage.

Im not discrediting the person that took those screen shots, but i doubt they are deploying 3g on 1900, at the present time.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums

There's already AWS 3G in the area so that doesn't make sense.

If they want an iPhone, if they want to supplement network capacity.. if they want to add more coverage and make it a bit cheaper to deploy 3G, they need to start deploying PCS 3G.

If they want an iPhone, if they want to supplement network capacity.. if they want to add more coverage and make it a bit cheaper to deploy 3G, they need to start deploying PCS 3G.

I agree they need pcs 3g. But, would they start dual banding 3g? Maybe we will see an announcement at CES 2012. I know they said this year they wanted to provide rural coverage. Lets hope they do make pcs 3g. Apple will have no choice but to offer it to them.

Maybe its an LTE testing area too for pcs.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums

It is impossible to deploy HSPA 1900 in NYC area (only 10MHz), but T-Mobile has 30MHz AWS (E plus A in NYC).

Back