TCL Flip 2 4G LTE - $19.99 - quick review

Since we'll have a lot of new owners of this phone.. be sure to keep it on WiFi til it installs a system update. I had mine off WiFi, but data on (data saver enabled) and it downloaded a 200MB system update. Not a huge deal for me since I have a good chunk of data sitting in my account but just an FYI.

I always update my phone with every possible security update and download the majority of the apps I'll use before activating it.

I just activated one and one of the first things it requested after turning it on was Wi-Fi information. But before I could enter it - it did some small change carrier settings update right in the middle of it and then after it finished I could enter Wifi details. After that, it did a bigger update and I believe it was using Wi-Fi for that. Wifi was on for sure. My data went from 1.20 to 1.17 GB after all was said and done.

The above was all done before activation.

Is this phone supposed to have Wi-Fi calling?

Last edited:
I always update my phone with every possible security update and download the majority of the apps I'll use before activating it.

Yep, that's the way to do it. Before the phone is activated, it won't have cell service and can't use data even if data is turned on.

Is this phone supposed to have Wi-Fi calling?

I get this when I enter it on the site:

View attachment 171982

I don't really totally trust that site based Wi-Fi check since half my phones that have it show as not capable but in this case I think it might be true. At least on my end with TF/V.

When I first started the phone up it stated to turn WF calling on since I guess there was no network yet since it hadn't been activated. But later just looking for it I can't find it anywhere in the settings. Not in Phone or Calling settings or anywhere. (as a new line).

Just delivered. The first thing I noticed is that the TCL is slightly larger and heavier than the My Flip 2

My friend just got the 408dl and is very disappointed it does not have Google Assistant. His 406 has it & said it is very helpful on a flip phone.

Another poster in this thread says it has wifi calling on T mobile. I think tracfone does not want to allow wifi calling on flip phones.

Yeah if I turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi and try to make a call it gives a message to turn on WF calling but I can't find any setting for it.

I guess TF/V is not allowing it. And no hotspot of course.

View attachment 171984

I think the only thing I like on it is the shortcuts which remind me of android and make it easy to turn on/off all the settings there.

My data went from 1.20 to 1.17 GB after all was said and done.

It could also be because Tracfone (surprisingly for a company that messes things up so much! :lol:) uses the correct scientific conversion for data! They use 1GB = 1024MB instead of 1GB=1000MB.

And the flip phone's 1200MB = 1200/1024 = 1.17GB, so maybe you didn't lose any data during activation after all.

I remember I thought TF had cheated me on data with my Moto E5 bundle. I had turned off data, and yet my balance showed as 1.46GB instead of 1.5GB right after activation. That's when I realized Tracfone was so very scientifically-correct in reporting data balances! :lol:

And the flip phone's 1200MB = 1200/1024 = 1.17GB, so maybe you didn't lose any data during activation after all.

That's correct. I activated two Flip 2 phones today. One updated its software right away using WiFi before activation. Its untouched data balance shows 1.17GB. The other didn't update its software until after activation and used 202MB of data (Data turned on by default). Its data balance shows 990.76MB.

Now that I’ve had a chance to test it out a bit, I like it. Reminds me very much of old school flips, just the basics.

I haven't activated it yet. After setting up a few things, I absolutely hate it. It took me almost 10 minutes to type out a password for a Gmail account that has over 20 numbers, characters and letters.

It took me almost 10 minutes to type out a password for a Gmail account that has over 20 numbers, characters and letters.

Luckily, so far I have only encountered that problem when entering the password for my WiFi router, which includes upper, lower characters, numbers, and special characters.

Compared to the A406DL, the settings and navigation/customizations are limited and different (top right button opens shortcuts to toggle WiFi, Data, Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, Location, and Sounds instead of Contacts). Basically no apps or app store. The Quick Dial button doesn't activate the front display, only the volume buttons do. It does not show the battery percentage number in the status bar. I like that it displays hyphenated phone numbers like +1XXX-XXX-XXXX or (XXX)XXX-XXXX instead of +1XXXXXXXXXX though.

One of the features/quirks seems to be that it remembers where you left off in each "app" or part of the navigation tree if you hit the end button instead of backing out.

Last edited:
Received my phone from UPS 2-Day with the eBay phone+one year deal. Brown box within a box, with the retail, blue package phone, plastic baggy USB-C car charger (cable non-detachable) and power bank inside in a plain, small white box within plastic baggy. Started playing around with it. Will activate it next week. Physically, seems to be same size as the original MyFlip.

Improved responsiveness as others have mentioned. Menu lag is gone. Much of the menu bloat has been removed. Main menu options have been greatly simplified, only 9 selections in a 3 x 3 grid:
Code:
Call History, Messages, Contacts
Gallery,      Music,    Camera
Browser,      Tools,    Settings

Can change to list layout in settings. Behaves more like an old school flip phone as others have mentioned. One main annoyance with the older MyFlip was scrolling through four menu screens to get to settings. Don't know if there's a way to re-arrange the menu. Unfortunately, it defaults to the center-middle selection which is Music.

Closing the flip and then opening does reset back to home screen, but there's a short delay after opening. Can see the menu for about 3/10th of a second after the screen turns back on before resetting back to home. End button now exits back to home screen.

Can disable the key backlight to save some battery. I don't see a "battery saver" option in the menu.

Many accessibility options, popped up at new phone setup. I saw readout option for the visually impaired. Can increase the font size. Customize cursor key shortcuts for quick access.

Button feels okay, slightly rubbery and soft. Has a click when pressed. 4.5GB of 8GB storage available, 3.5GB used.

Have not tested if closing the flip ends calls. Answer options selectable (default both): Flip open, Any key. Long press END button goes to Shutdown menu (Power off / Restart).

Do not see a way to get developer mode. Secret codes to enable??? I would like to ADB to disable stuff.

Network Compatibility:

Cricket (AT&T)
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/bring-your-phone
Yay, your TCL FLIP 2 is compatible but requires the latest software version to be installed to receive Cricket service. Please ensure software is up to date in your device settings prior to activating.

AT&T
https://www.att.com/buy/byod/identify?devicetype=phone
Bring your own AT&T Cingular Flip IV
(pass, misidentified)

Mint Mobile (T-Mobile)
https://www.mintmobile.com/byop/
Device: compatible

Phone Compatibility Details
Has all T-Mobile LTE bands checked (including Band 71) and VoLTE. Missing eSIM Compatible.

Back