TCL Flip 2 4G LTE - $19.99 - quick review

Bluetooth keyboard works with this!

How cool!!!

Absolutely amazed to see this!

Game changing!

No more needing to use the keypad to slowly type.

It prompted for a pairing code. Typed it in and hit enter on the keyboard and it worked!

The number keys still have to cycle for special characters, but other than that regular typing worked as expected.

It's nice to see an AOSP device like the LG classic flip since that's no longer available.

Keys feel about the same except they're through cutouts instead of fully exposed pad. Maybe it'll help in the long run maybe not. I'd prefer hard plastic key caps that could last better.

Screen feels like it needs a screen protector or will get scratched easily. Casing is cheap and feels like it's not the most durable but has grip which is nice. Sightly thicker than classic flip.

Basic phone without too much extra stuff and easy enough to get used to.

Could you check if it's possible to save a contact with a 25 digit phone number on the flip2, or see what is the max it allows. KaiOS (Alcatel myflip2 and Nokia flip) seems limited to 20. I was wondering if the Android go OS had a similar limit. I'm looking for a flip phone that can save international numbers, so it needs to save the 10 or 11 digit access number, a "," for pause, then 011, 2 digit country code and then phone numbers ranging from 8-10 digits. This isn't an issue for smart phones, but I was surprised it wasn't possible for the myflip2 or Nokia. Surprisingly I was able to setup "frequent numbers" for the myflip2 line so it's still usable. But the flip2 looks like a better phone, especially with a real back button (I agree, using the end button is not very intuitive). Thanks.

I just tried this and it works good.

I used this form: 3059835673,0115534xxxxxxxxx (26 digits + pause). This is Brazil.

Hold the star button down to select the pause (,)

I saved the contact and set the number as a favorite. Or you can set as speed dial.

Made the call perfectly.

Added: You can also use the 1‑800‑706‑3839 access number.

I find sometimes one ILD access number (305 or 800) doesn't work on a device but in this case both numbers work for me.

Last edited:
That's when I realized Tracfone was so very scientifically-correct in reporting data balances! :lol:

it's all about marketing. what sounds better 1.17GB or 1200MB. larger numbers typically make the consumer feel like they're getting more. Hard drive manufactures did that too in the early 2000s and got sued. The result, $7 payment for mis-ninformation.

https://www.itpro.com/134970/seagate-facing-multi-million-bill-after-settling-hard-drive-lawsuit

https://www.zdnet.com/article/consumers-sue-over-hard-drive-sizes/

maybe we can start one for TF too. LOL. Alex, you reading this?

Yep, that's the way to do it. Before the phone is activated, it won't have cell service and can't use data even if data is turned on.

I must've hit Check for update about 10 times and nothing downloaded. Left it alone for 1hr and still nothing. Scheduled for 2 mins after current time on phone and still nothing. Finally decided to turn off mobile data and activated the phone so the AAL points clock with start.

Still waiting for update 2 hrs later and nothing.

This might be a good phone for an elderly family member who had a whole host of issues with their Iphone and misplacing it. No issues when a $19 phone is lost or misplaced.

I must've hit Check for update about 10 times and nothing downloaded. Left it alone for 1hr and still nothing.

Of the two Flip 2 that I got yesterday, one automatically updated its software via Wifi before I activated it. The other didn't update even after I kept poking at Update Software. Then after it was activated, while I was busy dealing with points that didn't get added right away, it did the update using Data that was turned on automatically. It used a bit over 200MB for that.

I must've hit Check for update about 10 times and nothing downloaded. Left it alone for 1hr and still nothing. Scheduled for 2 mins after current time on phone and still nothing. Finally decided to turn off mobile data and activated the phone so the AAL points clock with start.

Still waiting for update 2 hrs later and nothing.

This might be a good phone for an elderly family member who had a whole host of issues with their Iphone and misplacing it. No issues when a $19 phone is lost or misplaced.

I got mine like two months ago but it didn’t pull any updates manually either. That update checker must just be for decoration.

One good thing about an iPhone though, is that find my iPhone works really really well. You’re pretty much SOL with a flip phone if it’s misplaced, but like you said it’s a lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

My first one did the software update (KEEZ) soon after entering Wi-Fi details. Second one I seemed to have "forced" with menu/settings/software update/check for updates. All completed before activation.

You can also try clearing/closing recent apps (press down on the center soft key) and restarting the phone.
This fixed an unrelated but very annoying problem I had with the phone.

May want to keep cellular data off until after it does the update. You can easily manage that with the soft right shortcuts key.

Last edited:
For those who have updated, did a notification show up after updating? Also, what does this info show in the software version details? maybe mine updated overnight without notifying me and I already have the latest software?

For those who have updated, did a notification show up after updating? Also, what does this info show in the software version details? maybe mine updated overnight without notifying me and I already have the latest software?

It shows KEEZ.

I got a notification.

More:

Baseband version: MOLY.LR12A.R3.MP.V179.5.P11

Kernel version: 4.14.186

Software version: KEEZ

SVN: 03

AOSP Version: 11

Yes, received a notification after updating
To check the software version tap menu>settings>about phone>software info>software version
after updating the software version was KEEZ

when in the menu, when you arrive at a setting and the wrong choice is highlighted tap the number key corresponding to the setting you want to be highlighted. (unnumbered settings is # 9)

Last edited:
It shows KEEZ.

I got a notification.

More:

Baseband version: MOLY.LR12A.R3.MP.V179.5.P11

Kernel version: 4.14.186

Software version: KEEZ

SVN: 03

AOSP Version: 11

all the info matches so I guess it was updated already and I missed the notification. Data is still at 1.17GB, so all is good. Must've updated on wifi at some point.

I saw people have unlocked this phone. In the past, after I activated a phone, I sent "UNLOCK" to 611611 and would receive a reply telling me how many days before I could have it unlocked. With this phone, I sent the "UNLOCK" text and got no response ... did TF change their way of dealing with such inquiry, or was it related to this phone?

I saw people have unlocked this phone. In the past, after I activated a phone, I sent "UNLOCK" to 611611 and would receive a reply telling me how many days before I could have it unlocked. With this phone, I sent the "UNLOCK" text and got no response ... did TF change their way of dealing with such inquiry, or was it related to this phone?

I got a reply "Great News!!! Your phone will be eligible to be unlocked on 10-25-2022. On this date, please call ... to easily unlock your device." Try restart your phone.

I got the same (well, the 24th) as Crazy8SD:

View attachment 172098

Try texting bal and if you get that, try texting unlock again.

Last edited:
Got it after restarting the phone. Thanks!!

A bit puzzling though -- I was able to send and receive texts prior to the reboot. Just not this one.

I am just so thrilled with this flip phone! (It's still not activated but I just find it so so cute!)

Oh, and I was clicking around and exploring all the menus today, and got a pleasant surprise -- this phone *can* be used as a hotspot!!

Also, somewhere in the Settings I found the manufacturing date - 20220523. So it was manufactured in May of this year. That's a pretty "young" phone! (I think it was under About Phone, then Hardware Info).

Another poster in this thread says it has wifi calling on T mobile. I think tracfone does not want to allow wifi calling on flip phones.
I just got a free Orbic flip phone from Tracfone to replace a very old Verizon CDMA phone. I got a bunch of notices from Tracfone that the new phone has wifi calling so I guess they allow it on some phones.

Back