TCL Flip 2 4G LTE - $19.99 - quick review

I just got a free Orbic flip phone from Tracfone to replace a very old Verizon CDMA phone. I got a bunch of notices from Tracfone that the new phone has wifi calling so I guess they allow it on some phones.

Does Wi-Fi calling work if you turn on Airplane mode and turn on Wi-fi and then make a call (force test it)?

I imagine you will need to enter an E911 address.

I don't like the location of the charging port on this phone (T408DL).

It gets in the way of my left hand's normal operation every time I try to hold or handle the phone when it is charging.

Does Wi-Fi calling work if you turn on Airplane mode and turn on Wi-fi and then make a call (force test it)?

Remember this is the ORBIC phone, not the TCL Flip 2 this thread is about.
I had never set up the wifi on this phone so I just set it up to my home router and found some interesting stuff. Turned on wifi calling and set airplane mode on. Can't make a call because "Radio Off" comes up. Phone browser also doesn't work. Set airplane mode on and "Mobile Data Access" off and the 4g lte greys out but I CAN make a call and the browser works. This is different than another phone where I turn airplane mode on then wifi on and browser works.

Remember this is the ORBIC phone, not the TCL Flip 2 this thread is about.
I had never set up the wifi on this phone so I just set it up to my home router and found some interesting stuff. Turned on wifi calling and set airplane mode on. Can't make a call because "Radio Off" comes up. Phone browser also doesn't work. Set airplane mode on and "Mobile Data Access" off and the 4g lte greys out but I CAN make a call and the browser works. This is different than another phone where I turn airplane mode on then wifi on and browser works.

I know I was asking about the Orbic phone (I assume RC2200L). Thanks for the info.

The TF/Verizon branded T408DL doesn't have Wi-Fi calling. I called in to the corporate office to ask about it this morning and rep said it is not a feature offered with this phone. I guess unlocked and used w/other provider it may work.

In the all tutorials of the RC2200L orbic Journey V it shows wifi calling, (select areas only). Select areas only?, what does that mean? I still think TF/VZ is blocking wifi calling on flip phones. My nokia 2760 Flip, N139DL with the TF/VZ sim does not give any settings for wifi calling. I removed the sim, and under the network and connectivity settings, it shows VoLTE/VoWiFi settings, although grayed. I put in an inactivated TF/TMO sim, and it gives a full array of wifi calling options, not grayed.

Yeah, I discovered early on that Wi-Fi calling is nowhere to be found - but it does show up with one of my T-Mobile (non TF) SIMs and works great. Not sure what the reasoning is, Wi-Fi calling offloads calls and texts from the network to a user’s Wi-Fi network and is a good backup when cell service is down or otherwise unavailable. It could be made available with a future software or OTA update though.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Two questions about the TCL flip 2:

Is the volume loud enough for someone with hearing problems? My OLD LG VX8300 (CDMA) which needs replacing has good strong audio and I need something similar.

Can the unlocked (after 60 days) Tracfone flip 2 work on T-mobile or AT&T? I can't seem to find info about if the flip 2 has the correct bands.

TIA

Well, I found some info I missed on the Tracfone description of the flip 2.

TCL Flip 2 (T408DL) LTE Bands B2/4/5/12/13/66/71/25/ 26/41HUPE

Band 2 and 4 are used im most areas by T-mobile so maybe this will work with a Red Pocket GSMT sim.

Can the unlocked (after 60 days) Tracfone flip 2 work on T-mobile or AT&T? I can't seem to find info about if the flip 2 has the correct bands.

Yes, the T408DL is on the AT&T whitelist so it will work on AT&T. It also has all the bands for TMo, like you wrote in your next post. It does work on the RedPocket plan, from what I have read on HoFo elsewhere.

(I bought this recently, and am thrilled with it!)

Yes, the T408DL is on the AT&T whitelist so it will work on AT&T. It also has all the bands for TMo, like you wrote in your next post. It does work on the RedPocket plan, from what I have read on HoFo elsewhere.

(I bought this recently, and am thrilled with it!)

Thank you sillyette. Is the volume loude enough?

Oh, and I was clicking around and exploring all the menus today, and got a pleasant surprise -- this phone *can* be used as a hotspot!!

Activated mine yesterday. Saw hotspot and tried to turn it on. Got "Warning Your plan does not support mobile tethering". dang!!!

Another poster in this thread says it has wifi calling on T mobile. I think tracfone does not want to allow wifi calling on flip phones.

Probably because they call this a Basic Phone, and it's eligible for basic plans.

I've got to quit reading this forum. Couldn't resist this one. My justification runs along these lines... I like my T-Mobile Go Flip 3 (KaiOS) on Tello, but what if it quits working? Also I'm curious about the 60 day TF unlocking and (maybe) the free Freedom Pop SIM. But I do like my Go Flip 3 (4052W) and this one looks a lot like it. (Although the Go Flip 3 still has Google Voice Assistant, somehow it got bypassed when the latest downgrade came due -- maybe Alcatel/TCL just didn't let it "upgrade").

I've got to quit reading this forum. Couldn't resist this one. My justification runs along these lines... I like my T-Mobile Go Flip 3 (KaiOS) on Tello, but what if it quits working? Also I'm curious about the 60 day TF unlocking and (maybe) the free Freedom Pop SIM. But I do like my Go Flip 3 (4052W) and this one looks a lot like it. (Although the Go Flip 3 still has Google Voice Assistant, somehow it got bypassed when the latest downgrade came due -- maybe Alcatel/TCL just didn't let it "upgrade").

It's always good to have a VoLTE capable flip phone, and they're surprisingly expensive new on a carrier like T-Mobile. I think it's a worthy investment - especially with some reward points from a new account (referral from existing TracFone user) or an add a line bonus (if you already have a TracFone account).

Finally got an account, hope this helps someone. Enable usb debug: *#*#33284#*#*
remove apps: adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 package.name
turn on developer options: adb shell settings put global development_settings_enabled 1
to add apps you need root, which we have done. Let me know if you want more info on that, or join apps4flip forums, great for flip phone development, and flip phone stuff in general.
Edit: You can try settings put global hotspot_entitlement_check_mode 0 for wifi calling, I don't know if it works.

Received my phone from UPS 2-Day with the eBay phone+one year deal. Brown box within a box, with the retail, blue package phone, plastic baggy USB-C car charger (cable non-detachable) and power bank inside in a plain, small white box within plastic baggy. Started playing around with it. Will activate it next week. Physically, seems to be same size as the original MyFlip.

Improved responsiveness as others have mentioned. Menu lag is gone. Much of the menu bloat has been removed. Main menu options have been greatly simplified, only 9 selections in a 3 x 3 grid:
Code:
Call History, Messages, Contacts
Gallery,      Music,    Camera
Browser,      Tools,    Settings

Can change to list layout in settings. Behaves more like an old school flip phone as others have mentioned. One main annoyance with the older MyFlip was scrolling through four menu screens to get to settings. Don't know if there's a way to re-arrange the menu. Unfortunately, it defaults to the center-middle selection which is Music.

Closing the flip and then opening does reset back to home screen, but there's a short delay after opening. Can see the menu for about 3/10th of a second after the screen turns back on before resetting back to home. End button now exits back to home screen.

Can disable the key backlight to save some battery. I don't see a "battery saver" option in the menu.

Many accessibility options, popped up at new phone setup. I saw readout option for the visually impaired. Can increase the font size. Customize cursor key shortcuts for quick access.

Button feels okay, slightly rubbery and soft. Has a click when pressed. 4.5GB of 8GB storage available, 3.5GB used.

Have not tested if closing the flip ends calls. Answer options selectable (default both): Flip open, Any key. Long press END button goes to Shutdown menu (Power off / Restart).

Do not see a way to get developer mode. Secret codes to enable??? I would like to ADB to disable stuff.

Network Compatibility:

Cricket (AT&T)
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/bring-your-phone

AT&T
https://www.att.com/buy/byod/identify?devicetype=phone

Mint Mobile (T-Mobile)
https://www.mintmobile.com/byop/

Did you actually test it to see if it works on tmobile?

A friend has the older MyFlip 2 with KaiOS & bought one of these newer Flip 2 phones. He missed Google Voice Assistant & said it really added to the usefulness of a flip phone. He went back to the old phone, & said it also can add apps from the KaiOS store.

Back