Tracfone are thieves

Ad Above Message List
Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
I did try the app a while back.....I don't remember why I didn't like it but it did not last long. Probably because texting for balances was free.

So much for waiting 24 hrs....called back and got the data bucket up to 19.75 GB.....was told to wait 30 minutes and it would get to 22,883MB.....explained about the carryover data I had before I bought the refill(that was 3 months short)....was told I would get that too....that the bucket data could be accessed when the unlimited plan data balance was empty.....that there was no new ticket number followed by here's a ticket number..... Wait 30 minutes, restart phone and if balance isn't fully restored call again....which I'm going to do now......

Up til now only mildly annoying run-ins with TF........oh well

So is the My Account app. I prefer the easy way.

Speaking of which, I just got this message in a Tracfone email a few minutes ago..

Capture.JPG

When downloading and using the My Account App, standard data rates may apply. Balance information may be transmitted with a delay and may not reflect actual account balances. When you purchase, activate, or use a Tracfone phone or Tracfone Wireless services, you agree to comply with the latest Terms and Conditions of Service, which are subject to change without notice. Tracfone is aregistered trademark of TracFone Wireless, Inc., a Verizon Company. © 2024 TRACFONE. 9700 NW 112th Avenue, Miami, FL 33178.

At home I use WIFI for data, with mobile data disabled. No plan consumption that way. As for balances, I have seen them update while looking at the screen.

In the Tracfone app, Balance Summary, to its right on the same line, Show more

What do you see?
I see the same as I see on the website which is only an overall expiration date and the amount of data in the data bucket.

I text USAGE to 611611 almost daily......it lists unlimited plan expiration date and Service until date as well as unlimited plan balance data

I tried that too and I don't get an unlimited plan expiration date on the message that it sends back. Just the Service until date.

I added the year plan with 24GB to a plan that only had buckets previously. The previous data got added to my total data available. I won't know what happened to the minute and text buckets until October when I let the unlimited plan expire.

It sounds like you tried to add the unlimited year plan to a previous unlimited plan. (Was it previously an unlimited year plan or unlimited month plan.) Perhaps that difference is why you're getting an unlimited plan expiration date and I don't get that.

It sounds like you tried to add the unlimited year plan to a previous unlimited plan. (Was it previously an unlimited year plan or unlimited month plan.) Perhaps that difference is why you're getting an unlimited plan expiration date and I don't get that.

Maybe what happened in your case, based on the fact that your paygo buckets are not showing, and your data combined, and you have no separate dates in terms of unlimited and line service end dates, is that your M and T buckets are gone, having combined into the unlimited buckets.

Basically your M & T paygo buckets got blended into the unlimited buckets which if I recal correctly are 100,000 units.

This happened to me once when I merged/combined paygo line into an unlmited plan line. I had to call TF corporate to recreate my buckets once the unlimited plan expired and my buckets didn't show as I recall. They gave me the extra data to keep.

Of course maybe that's not what happened since TF has many ways to cause trouble, and things are always changing, but IIRC in my case I did still have seperate dates, but I couldn't see the paygo buckets and I think the data combined, My understanding at that tme had been you should always be able to see the paygo other plan/carryover plan buckets. Whether it's something like Safelink with TF plans or Unlimited/Paygo combos.

At first I was told a million different things. including that my paygo buckets will return after unlimited plan expired (I knew instinctively they wouldn't and they didn't) and also that you lose your paygo when you switch to unlimited and even we don't offer unlimted plans. But after some calls I got a better handle on what happened.

Basically I had 120,000 + units etc in the unlimited M and T buckets, which was unlimited plus paygo.

So a TF corp rep wiped it (she said it was definitely not the intended behavior) and recreated the paygo buckets based on calculations and my screenshots and the billing departments approval. She let me keep the combined unlimited/paygo data bucket amount as paygo data bucket.

Last edited:
Maybe what happened in your case, based on the fact that your paygo buckets are not showing, and your data combined, and you have no separate dates in terms of unlimited and line service end dates, is that your M and T buckets are gone, having combined into the unlimited buckets.

Basically your M & T paygo buckets got blended into the unlimited buckets which if I recal correctly are 100,000 units.
When devices started showing up with the unlimited talk & text year plan and 24GB of data last year, I got one and activated on an existing line as an experiment as many people were speculating on what would happen once the year was up. The existing line already had a couple of years of service on it, so when the unlimited year expires, I'll see what's left if anything in the buckets.

I did have previous experience adding an unlimited monthly plan to a bucket plan and in that scenario, the bucket data is tracked separately from the plan data. I was expecting the same to happen on the yearly plan, but instead the data got combined.

So that's what I know at the moment.

I have had the Unlimited plans work correctly. This was when instead of transfer activating an unlimited plan phone with a paygo line, I simply added a paygo plan to a phone that had an active one month unlimited plan.

In that case, I did see my paygo buckets as the other plan and they did become the current plan when the unlimited plan expired.

And of course there were two different end dates, an unlimited plan expiration date and line service end date.

This scenario happened when I would get a phone from TF that had a required one month unlmited plan on the sim.

So after activating the phone with the unlmited plan on sim as a new line, I would later add a paygo plan to it so it could unlock and get AAL etc.

I would let the unlimited plan drop off (including one month carryover data) - 2 months total, and then do what I wanted to do with the phone with pure paygo.

Last edited:
I was expecting the same to happen on the yearly plan, but instead the data got combined.

Yeah the fact that this happened (like it did to me) is what makes me think the experience I described might have happened to you.

I'm surprised you don't have separate dates though, indicating a separation between paygo and unlimited.

I guess unlimted could continue until service end date. Which is what likely would have happened in my case which I didn't want, since the plan didn't expire. Or it will drop later this year and then reveal two years left of paygo something....

Last edited:
This is my understanding, in general, not responding to any specific comment

The MyAccount display is supposed to

and sometimes does

show the two "dimensions" separately.

But often the true situation gets hidden until the UNL "overlay" plan expires.

Best to keep them separate, if you want to be SURE things make sense, best to not stack UNL plans on top of a line with PAYGO buckets.

But most likely, once the UNL plan expires, all will become clear again.

The service time should get cleanly stacked, but often that is not shown properly in MyAccount

In theory the GB that come with the UNL plan should get consumed first, but sometimes that only starts after the PAYGO data runs out.

The Data bucket from PayGo "should" not combine with the later GB allocation from the UNL bundle.

It should not do so, by design, if it does that's a symptom of a glitch, it then shows one bucket and the GBs got combined together. This is in your favor, usually the UNL Data GBs expire 30 days after the UNL T&T, they do not rollover forever unless you add another UNL plan (which you should not do!).

That's why TF is supposed to keep separate buckets.

Best case, the UNL plan GBs get used first, then if allowed to deplete, switches over to the PayGo GBs, which normal glitches may not let you see that balance.

The Service End Date getting pushed out seems to be the only aspect that reliably works properly in this "combine UNL and PayGo" scenario.

So long as your UNL plan is active, the T&T PAYGO buckets are irrelevant and should just be in suspended animation until the UNL plan expires but YMMV.

Do not stack UNL plans either, let the UNL plan expire, go back to your "in reserve" PAYGO plan before starting another UNL one.

Wow....lots to absorb since Friday.....

First....I had been a bucket subscriber since flip phone through slider to the end of 3G and went buckets with promo codes and 1 year renewals on my first smartphone(s) until I thought an unlimited plan sffordable and cost efficient. Called customer service before buying my first unlimited and was told buckets, including days of service, would be held untouched until the unlimited plan expired when they would then be available again as a usable balance.

I bought a 1 year unlimited plan, renewed each year 2-4 times I'm guessing (do remember renewing for 12GB shortly before it was upped to 24GB) when I renewed earlier than usual because of a sale....which has led to this situation.

The separation of dates and balances has always been there for me.....I also keep track of data used vs charged obsessively due to reading various horror stories......I have never had any problem before.....

The one thing that all the customer agents were consistent on through all this was that since I did not choose to put the newly purchased 1 year unlimited plan in reserve it took effect immediately wiping out the remaining time balance of the existing plan while carrying over the data balance......more later

Update.....Friday night the backup phone was again zeroed.....again while using it at the agent's request with the agent on the other end....at closing time......called Saturday morning and, once again, backup phone restored with no problem.

The main phone has been restored to the "deserved" amount.....that is, what some supposed usage investigation determined should be my balance......buckets no problem......data.......10GB in unlimited plan, 32GB in bucket, total 42GB......Which should be 49.37GB...7.37GB less than checks during the original customer service encounter showed and were agreed to by agent 15 minutes before zeroing occurred on main phone, while talking to agent on said phone.....$73.70 cost to replace at $10/GB.......plus 3 months unlimited T&T......

I felt quite bullied.....especially when the backup phone went "poof" for the second time......there appears to be nothing more to be done.......and I AM glad to have gotten back in the game as I DO rely on the phones.....and the service......

I will be learning what I can from these forums to be better situated in the future...

Thank you for all your help and insight

New....AARGHHH.....Everything fine since Sunday.....stayed stable and was used as normal this morning for about 2 hrs phone and 8MB email check.

About 12:45pm.....lock screen said emergency calls only....sure enough.....all zeroes.....now on backup phone for 90 minutes.....

Agent gave complete new 1yr unlimited plan.....I insisted that the paygo balance be restored the same way it was last Friday.....was told that that will automatically take over when the unlimited expires....disputed this and referred to last Friday's events...spent 10 minutes, 2 at a time, on hold waiting for the "other department" to answer in turn......agent verified to me bucket balance minutes and texts, not data......told I had to wait 24 hrs.....got ticket number.....

Tried several times to find an agent who could and would restore....now told, among many other things..... Adding back the buckets will probably forfeit the unlimited, though it did not last week.....and the unlimited was just restored today leaving me with a 24GB balance, not the 42GB that had been restored last week(FRI,SAT,SUN), and not the 49.37GB that I had when originally zeroed through no fault of my own....

The amount of misleading info, info contrary to experience only 1 week ago, info the opposite of what other agents had professed.....I am unable to convey....especially trying to type on this phone.....the similar promises and reasons I'm hearing now can only lead me to expect further reduction to my balance, not to mention the upheaval caused by out-of-the-blue loss of service (last time I was on the phone(s) with customer service when the balances evaporated, this time I was napping)

Trying to get used to the controls here.....

Anyway.....I would really appreciate any suggestions

Any experience and how-to with filing complaints would be very helpful

Thank You

Trying to get used to the controls here.....

Anyway.....I would really appreciate any suggestions

Thank You

You may be able to file a complaint with the FCC and BBB. I've never done that. Many here have. Hopefully someone can provide explicit instruction.

Do you have screenshots of your account before the rep messed everything up? When it was missing 3 months of unlimited service? That could be helpful.

There is also a Tracfone FCC complaint department line. It is used for when you are having your issues resolved with the FCC.
But some have called it directly with the idea that you don't want to have to contact the FCC (or by mistake).
It might be a shortcut, I don't know.

Might be best to call on Weekdays 8am-5pm

Call from a different phone from one being fixed.

888 251-8169 pin 1120

Last edited:
Here's the complaint form for the FCC.

Select the billing category as that is probably the closest of the pre-determined categories to your missing buckets.

You can type what you want done to resolve it and attach screenshots as documents you may want to send them. The person at Tracfone handling the claim should receive copies of whatever you upload.

You should receive a call back from Tracfone within a few days. How quickly this gets resolved is very variable. I'd make sure you state specifically how you want everything resolved.

Good luck.

Thank you for all the info......tough decisions ahead.....Just now received(like last Friday) promises of full restoration.....and this time the agent even said that they would also have the missing 3 months from the unlimited-plan-renewal looked into.....hopefully the waiting for the investigation to conclude won't yield big disappointment.....

I had forgotten to ask for any recommendations, referrals to threads,etc regarding the easiest or best or cheapest or fastest way to get a different carrier including sim card/phone, port number, etc in order to reacquire the reliability I need.....

Not sure what I'll do next......

Back